Are Mods Safe For Tsc?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by malikrthr, Jan 20, 2023.

1. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Good day everyone, I was curious to know if mods are safe to install for Train Simulator Classic. While sounds and physics mods enhance the immersion and the gameplay of TSC, I wasn't sure if they break scenarios or if they cause a performance decrease to the overall gameplay. There have been a few instances where I would need to press F2 to continue a career scenario due to an error when having mods installed (e.g. Metro North mods). I recall trying to install an NEC enhancement mod once and it basically broke the way some of the Amtrak trains operate like the ASC-64 or even the Amfleets

Also, as mods come from various sites which have popups in a new browser tab, this also made me question if they are safe or not.

Currently, I have no mods installed at this time but was just curious what are people's take on whether or not mods are good or bad overall for TSC in terms of qualities and safety

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

With a nearly half a terabyte of a RailWorks install and a good 25 percent of that probably being 3rd party mods (not talking about 3rd party DLC here btw) then yeah I'd say that it's safe, it's all about getting mods from trusted reliable and legitimate sources, you get it from IvanLuvsPutin.ru then yeah you take your chances.. Get it from ATS or UKTS or RailWorksAmerica or RailSim.de then it's pretty certain it is what it says it is.

The issues you have regarding having to press F2 is either down to edited career scenarios (tracks.bin altered or some such) but it will still play once you F2 then click cancel, the other one is missing rolling stock, which again in most cases is still playable providing it's a.i. or sidings dressing. if there's no player train then you'll just be left staring at empty railroad tracks.

There are programs out there that aid you in swapping out missing stock in scenarios like TS Tools and LocoSwap, you just need to start heading up that learning curve of how to do it through YouTube videos and written tutorials, Google is your friend.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Well said, the mods I usually go to install are from FanRailer, Railworks America, and Train Sim Community. Thank you for the advice and suggestions