PC Alienware R11 Fan Speed Going Crazy With Tsw3-it Wizards Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jan 17, 2023.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hi all, really after some support from the tech wizards here.

I have a problem with my PC whereby every 2 seconds the fan is ramping up crazy. The graphics card is a 2080ti and I believe its a blower card. I've had a few problems with this over the last couple of years and the issue comes and go however it only ever seems to be with train sim, no other game at all.

upload_2023-1-17_22-46-28.png

Now these are the steps I've taken:
    • Updated BIOS to current version 17th Jan
    • Updated windows (its on 11) 17th Jan
    • Updated Nvidia Driver 17th Jan
    • Tried running in DX11 and 12 to same effect
    • Game is set on ultra settings but locked to 64fps, does on lower setting too.
    The PC runs Alienware command centre - Updated 17th Jan and I have tried the various self and adjustable profiles.

Above is a pic of the GPU, it's running hot as hell, sits on top of desk and is clean from debris and dust. Now, I know many will say the GPU is way to hot, get new fans etc etc but my logic is Alienware will have released this to me and many others fit for purpose. I don't personally fancy pulling it to bits for no real change, equally I don't want to be buying new parts when other games are ok

That leads me on to then trying MSI afterburner to adjust the curve. I'm happy to populate this thread with screengrabs etc and can do this pretty quickly but would really appreciate some PC experts support.

Appreciate anyones suggestions in advance.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Have you tried running some diagnostics?
    Cinebench for CPU, Heaven or 3DMark for GPU. I'm betting that you will hear your fans in either one or all of those tests. It's not the game that causes the noise, it's the load on CPU and/or GPU.
    You can either adjust the fan curve to make it quieter and run hot, or leave it as it is and use headphones.
    Blower style GPUs run a bit hotter than open-air cooling GPUs.
    BTW, if you install Afterburner, activate the overlay with CPU and GPU load and temperature. Compare the numbers you get for benchmarks vs game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have an R12, so I know how tight the case is for these machines. I opted for liquid cooling, but even then I can hear the fan(s) when playing TSW. So I switched to headphones.

How's your warranty situation! Can you call Dell?

Dell has a very useful community forum link on their website, with some very smart Alienware owners who may be able to help.

4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

TSW seems to be a power hog. Just built a new machine with a 3090TI .. my ups I have used for a couple of years rated for 750 watts was overloaded when I tried to run TSW3. Even MSFS 2020 didn’t pull such a load. Upgraded my ups to a 1000 watts so no more problems… haven’t metered the load but TSW3 was the only app that caused my system to overload the older ups.

5. chieflongshin

On a 1000watt myself. I'm going to
    Test it against 3d benchmark shortly

6. chieflongshin

So This is running a stress test through benchmark. I've scrolled across the GPU temp and this is lower "i believe" than TSW3. Tsw i regularly see up to 84degrees where as this is maxed at 81 I think.

Is there something going on that is intensive. FS2020, Gears 5, Battlefield, I can run all on ultra with next to no fan hurricanes over a couple of hour period.

upload_2023-1-18_9-8-0.png upload_2023-1-18_9-11-5.png

7. chieflongshin

If anyone knows of any software that will give me a similar readout for TSW3 I'm all ears

8. chieflongshin

This is TSW3 from when the game was running to when I exited. I'm going to do some more tests on this.
    upload_2023-1-18_9-36-21.png

9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The 3090ti is the real power hog. It's using about 450 of those 750 watts, which doesn't leave much for the rest of your hardware.

As you've discovered, current gaming rigs call for a 1000 watt PSU these days, plus liquid cooling if you can get it, to cope with 3080 and better cards, unless you love hearing fan noise while you're driving. ;)

10. chieflongshin

I've managed to slow the fan a little by using msi to drop the temp setting two degrees but I'm still perplexed this game hammering pc more than more visually demanding ones like cyberpunk

11. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

new rig is liquid cooled. Need to replace my ups anyway…it was a stop gap one I bought after my 2000 watt system’s batteries needed replacement

12. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

If you install MSI Afterburner, you can set a custom fan curve.

Also if you're comfortable doing it, you can swap out the thermal paste on the GPU. Aside from that, get it a better source of cool airflow fron outside the case.

13. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Geeez guys, 1kW to run a high-end PC decently. How do you cope with the electricity bills? Is there still milk in the fridge?

• Like Like x 1
  14. chieflongshin

I've opted for lowering the max output of the gpu, effectively reducing the max temp it will run up to without it going into hurricane mode and return a decent fps.

It does perplex me still how this is the only game I need to faff with this on.

15. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

I got this issue whenever i start up minecraft for some reason

16. JPS

JPS Member

I never understood people having a problem with high electricity use on a PC. Let's say you have a 0.6 kWh PC vs a 1 kWh machine. Let's say you game 8 hours a day. That's a 3.2 kW difference per day, resulting in, what... 2 euro ? And that is only if it was running full load for the whole 8 hours.
    Surely if you have money for the xx90 card you have money to pay for the electricity as well....

17. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Well, your last sentence certainly makes sense to me. But is it really that simple?
    I mean c´mon, 0.8 - 1.0 kW makes a decent heater for a mid sized room at your home. So much that you have to pull some malabarisms to get this thing cooled down.(actually not overheated)
    I´ve been following closely the "PC Config" threads from the community here. To get some visibility, because I even was considering purchasing a game PC in order to feed horrible resource hogs like TSW is. Just for internet surfing and home banking there´s no need for such PC.
    Apart from the eyewatering list prices they call off for a game PC (or equivalent components for that matter) the power consumption has to be taken into account IMO. And when you compare power consumptions between, say a PS5 which draws some 0.2 kW from the grid, and a game PC, I guess the conclusion is fairly obvious. Project this to the consumption of a full year and buy another laptop with the economy. Or take your wife to a good restaurant and get a new toy for your dog.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  18. chieflongshin

I have my pc on as i work ( at times I've had it on as a live tsw screensaver ) and it cost about 10p per hour to run more compared to when I'm sat there on laptop only

19. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

true, but my PC is used for 1,001 other purposes, which a PS5 can't do (or, at best, would struggle with). It's a bit like saying that a motorbike is better than a car, which it is for mpg and performance - but try bringing home 6 bags of shopping ... :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. What ini tweaks are you running? My 3070 runs hot with tsw3 but nowhere near as hot running cp2077 on max settings without dlss!

21. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Hello, everyone, Indeed TSW3 requires huge amounts of system resources but the most annoying thing is that these amounts are allocated in weird ways, however I had to change my power supply a lot and go from 750Watts certified Gold to 1000Watts certified Gold , but given the other of my components and well there is nothing extraordinary, although we do not stop talking to us about energy saving, almost all our new PC components consume more in addition, 125W for my CPU, 270W for my GPU ... etc (these are the figures announced) so the real ones are even higher, so indeed we quickly manage to have our boxes turn into ovens and for those who are still in Air cooling another sports session begins with the adjustment of their ventilos when they can (in addition to the heat they end up with real hair dryers at 2000 rpm it breaks their heads after an hour maximum games) and those who have gone to Water cooling ends up with certainly less noise, but an additional 100 Watts for the system, so our PCs, whether portable or not, have become more and more energy-consuming a 1000 Watt power supply will become the norm if this continues , take the new electrical standard that Nvidia would like to impose with its new 12-pin connector to reach powers greater than 500 Watts for a video card, I absolutely do not believe that such power is needed to obtain a better definition, a such heat dissipation alone already demonstrates that we have overlooked certain well-known electrical laws in the name of profit, but that's another story, how far do these figures go with the new platforms? AMD/INTEL as well as at the level of graphics cards between AMD/NVIDIA or it's more up to the one who has the biggest but not necessarily the best, in short with all this, not really the right time to think calmly on the upgrade of his PC or the purchase of a new one!!!
    Sincerely, tof