Xbox Quick Query On Achievements

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Princess Entrapta, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Just wondering, as I start to spend a little more time with TSW3, thanks to BCC - is there a trick to getting the collection achievements for routes you completed the collections on in TSW2 to pop?
    I know for the loco based ones you just drive that train in TSW3 for it to unlock if you completed the requirements in TSW2. But I obviously cannot complete route tasks on a route I have 100%ed them on.

2. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you’ll have to make a new profile for then acheivements

3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

As Bradley says. I used a new profile and haven’t found any problems. I can get the achievements again which, when you collect the 50 reward points a day for getting an achievements is handy.

As an aside, I have found that by using the Holiday Express route, you can use scenario planner to set up a loop and leave it running using any train you need a mileage achievement for to build up the miles. Although the sitting room is small, it is scaled so it doesn’t take long, maybe an hour or so. When you’ve got the achievement, just change the loco and start again.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  4. Princess Entrapta

Yeah it sure beats SKA for that XD

5. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Training Centre has a nice big loop you can also use.
    And BTW, I think SKW is longer than LGV, which is longer than SKA. There are definitely better options out there.

Unless you actually meant SKW, e.g. Kassel-Wurzburg, because SKA is Koln-Aachen.

6. Princess Entrapta

SKW wasn't available to do it in back in TSW2 for all those though, which I was referencing the days of.

I tried LGV for some of the silly high number ones but it never seemed to register achievement progress in created scenarios on that route, which is why I went back to SKA which reliably worked for every loco in the game.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  7. Princess Entrapta

Of course for the time being, we can't do it on any TSW3 route at all XD

8. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I've successfully used LGV for M7 and a few other locos. You just max out the throttle and let it run. Never lost progress, as far as I know. I still have 166, 66 and 37 trophies to unlock, yuck.

Still, the trophies I can never gear up for are these two:
    TGV: A French Connection 10G Complete 150 passenger boarding tasks with TGV Duplex
    BR143: Ruhr Sieg Express 10G Complete 143 passenger boarding tasks with the BR143

Both routes have notoriously lengthy routes with few stops. So, it's a pain to grind them.

9. Princess Entrapta

There's a trick to the passenger boarding ones. Save just as you lock the doors then keep reloading the save after gaining the AP

10. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Yeah, that works for TGV, but not for RSN, where services start loaded.

11. Princess Entrapta

Yes but just go to one stop, save there, and start the reload cycle.

12. Princess Entrapta

The times where I do speedrun some of these achievements that are a bit silly to get even if you complete the whole timetable, I do always set myself a rule that I stop when one run of a service on the timetable will get me the remainder, and then I run that service to completion.

13. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I found a way to go around the loaded dostos on RSN. I created a scenario between two stations other than Hagen/Finnentrop, and I can do the restart trick.

There's one caveat here, yet another bug: when I unlock the doors at the start station, the indicator still says "LOAD PASSENGERS/Unlock doors". Yet, passengers are loading, and if I wait long enough, the sound is heard and the indicator switches to "STOP AT LOCATION". Without even asking me to close the doors!

14. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

One more thing: whoever did these achievement goals, what is wrong with you?!
    Please compare and contrast the following achievements.
    Each one is worth 20G, and in brackets I put top speed and how long it takes to unlock if travelling at top speed.

CL483: Going the Extra Mile - Operate the Class 483 for 60 miles (45mph, 1h20m)
    M7: Change at Jamaica - Operate the M7 for 700 miles (80mph, 8h45m)
    BR146: Making Tracks - Operate the BR 146.2 a distance of 1462km (60kph, 9h10m)
    BR182: True Taurus - Operate the BR 182 a distance of 1820km (140 or 160kph? minimum 11h)
    GWE: Mile Muncher - Operate the Class 166 for 1660 miles (90mph, more than 18 hours!)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Princess Entrapta

Well yes, they clearly designed them around arbitrarily making the numbers line up to four digits with no consideration for factors like "how many miles' worth of services are even in the complete timetable for this loco?"

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For True Taurus SFS Hannover Würzburg the actual name for Kassel Würzburg you are allowed to max the 182 there at 230 kmh (145 mph) it's maximum speed. To do that on Yellow Dispolok 182 change the PZB mode to O then enable LZB on single Loco services on that route.
    BR146 Making Tracks KWG Main Spessart Bahn and Riesa Dresden versions work for it.

17. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Don't see a problem lol. Just keep on playing and youll eventually unlock them :)

18. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

The achievements are TSW2, where there is no Training Centre or SKW.

My problem isn't the length of some of these, but the extremely uneven requirements.

19. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Ok then but for Making Tracks just keep running Riesa-Dresden on 146.2 services

20. Princess Entrapta

Like, some of them require double digits, obtainable in a single run, while others require quadruple digits and would require you running every single possible service in the game for that loco several times over.
    And don't get me started on some locos having very close targets to each other in terms of miles/km, but one has a maximum attainable speed four times that of the other.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  21. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

for any loco milage achievements you can use the Training Centre too with scenario editor instead of the holiday dlc

on TSW 2 i always used the frence LGV dlc since it was the longest route back then

for passenger services total numbers you can just calculate when the train is about to arrive
    and load up on foot on the destination
    I did that trick on the Rapic dlc for the Talent loc (DB BR 1442 ‘Talent 2’)
    after doing over 70 services for that loc the normal way I got fed up by it

this 1 on TSW 2
    RT: German Legend
    Complete all of the available services

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  22. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

"Play the game for a absurd amount of time" isn't clever or challenging, it's just tedious. Anyone who thinks that's a good way to make achievements need to broaden their horizons and play other games. Good achievements either involve doing something involving out of the box thinking, is tricky to pull off, or both. For example I've been playing Half Life 2, and you have some real interesting achievements in that game.

For example "Barnacle Bowling" involves blowing up five barnacles with a explosive barrel. It's not a hard one to get either if you know what you're aiming to do, it's just a clever way to deal with certain enemies. Likewise "OSHA Violation" is similar, as it involves using a crane to take out three enemies, again, not hard, just something out of the box you may not think to do normally.

In terms of ones that are actually challenging you have "Zombie Chopper" which involves playing Ravenholm with only the gravity gun. Or "Keep Off the Sand!" which involves playing a section of Sandtrap without touching the sand. Like the other achievements I mentioned both involve some out of the box thinking to complete. And while somewhat difficult, they aren't asking you to be putting in 12 hours just to complete the one achievement.

Good achievements are more so clever than they are time consuming. If your basing your achievements on metrics like how many miles you've walked or driven. You could just beat the easiest mission over and over again to get such a achievement done, that doesn't take skill, it just takes time. Having clever conditions like this not only are less time consuming, but actually do a far better job of checking how much skill the player actually has.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Princess Entrapta

Even time consuming ones can be made to be a whole experience.
    Half Life 2 Episode 2: Little rocket man. Carry the garden gnome from the start of the game all the way to the launch site at the end, stick him in the rocket, and send him to space.

It's a whole thing which mixes up how you play, playing the entire game through while making sure to account for this the whole way.

• Like Like x 1
  24. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there is any smarter way to do achievements for Train Sim World.
    I'm OK with achievements based on "experience" (distance driven, services completed, etc.), but they should be relatively comparable.

25. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

You've been able to do that with the Training Centre since launch.

26. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Odd to say when TSW has other types of achievements already, such as the "Reach X speed on X" ones, or "Completed Scenario X". They're nothing too remarkable, but those at least don't take a day of nonstop play to grab. After all I bring up Half Life 2's more interesting achievements, but that has plenty of effortless ones alongside the more interesting ones.

I also don't buy that DTG couldn't think of better achievement ideas, thinking about it for a bit myself here's some ideas I came up.

In Comes Experience "Beat a ICE service with all safety systems engaged, while remaining on time, and having no penalty braking during the run."

Eye Spy "Beat a Cajon Pass service without use of the HUD, while managing to remain within speed restrictions for the entire run."

Loud as a Bullet "Beat a Peninsula Corridor "Baby Bullet" service while correctly using the horn for the entire run"

These aren't especially clever, but do fulfil the tricky criteria, as they require good understanding of signage and safety systems in the game. But at the same time they shouldn't be too time consuming if you already know about the rules of the rail. So they can be nice ways for experienced players to keep their skills sharp, while getting a nice little badge for their effort. While also acting as a way to encourage players to learn more about real operations, which ultimately I feel is the main purpose behind any consumer grade simulator.

Granted this of course assumes the game has all of its signs properly done, as well as all of the safety systems functioning correctly to the point they aren't interfering with the timetable. These are issues that exist on some routes, and I speculate is probably why DTG don't have these types of achievements. But I feel that really illustrates how half baked TSW is in many cases, as opposed to any sort of knock against the achievement ideas themselves. This type of stuff would be a huge improvement over the tedious "complete 40 services" or "reach route level 20" achievements DTG always keep doing.

• Like Like x 4