Class 43 Hst Cab Doors

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ghawk2005, Jan 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I have already popped a quick request to Matt on Facebook but thought I would post an official request here for the whole staff and team to acknowledge. With video proof

( the very first XC HST pulling into and out of N/A station )

I am aware the HST is being worked on for the livery designer etc. whilst working on it, could you please disable the cab doors closing and locking once you start moving. This is not actually realistic anyway. Whilst drivers aren’t really supposed to drive with the doors open, some still do and is very physically / mechanically possible. The combinational of the external sounds and internal sounds while the doors are open is just lovely and it’s just a shame to miss out.

Hope this is easily possible and doesn’t take too much work. Would be so much better.

ALSO …., if you could adjust the cab driver’s camera viewpoint too, a fraction higher and very slightly forward would be more realistic too. ( it’s too far back in the chair and too low at the moment )

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  2. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think this would be a good development. Running with cab doors open was common in real life, and on stock with non-interlocked doors (such as the HST) it still is. It’s most commonly done to cool the cab in summer, but some Drivers also did it in autumn to be able to hear when the wheels were sliding under braking (which creates a sort of ‘sizzling’ noise). With modern WSP systems and indicators it’s less important to be able to hear that now, but with older stock it was the quickest way for the Driver to know the wheels were sliding.

Neither of these factors are particularly relevant in TSW, but opening the doors does allow you to hear the external sounds, and on stock with non-interlocked cab doors in real-life (such as the HST) you should be able to do the same in TSW.

As far as I know (someone correct me if I’m wrong) all TSW stock is correct simulated in this respect except the HST.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ghawk2005

Thanks for backing me up on this one. Yes I think you’re right. Apart from a small number of EMUs that lock doors when in motion which I believe to be correct anyway, most locos, especially 80s & 90s BR ones anyway didn’t have locking doors. Especially the HST. Would be an amazing addition to the player experience and I am sure a simple tweak too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

This is a very good point and as said was done in real life. The only thing I can think of which may cause an issue is that it may have not been a choice of DTG but was specified by FGW in the contract for the license.

5. ghawk2005

Hope not. It’s a daft Claus of a contract if that’s the case. I reckon it was just …. An error that hasn’t been rectified yet.

6. matt#4801

Yes it would be rather daft so hopefully isn't in the contract but who knows.

7. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Then again, it may have been one of those practicies that wasn't allowed, but also wasn't actively discouraged.

Which would make sense if it's in the licence request.

Kinda like bus drivers *shouldn't* drive with the folding doors open, but in the summer on a quiet rural route many still do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. matt#4801

Oh yes it most definitely was not a practice liked very much by those above in the companies I've worked for and FGW isn't one of those companies so they may be very strict on it which like you said may explain why it was part of the contract.

9. ghawk2005

The Class 166 doors now open when moving and I LOVE the additional audio enhanced sound quality. So ok, might not be ‘best practice ‘ but would be a hugely nice feature.

EVEN if someone can ‘unofficially’ mod it, that would take the issue away from DTG at least.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Greyweasel

Greyweasel Well-Known Member

The luggage van door would be a nice addition too, since they modeled the interior of it already.

Also, guards office on the mk3s, stick that in there as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ghawk2005

As nice as all that would be, that would involve re-modelling the doors to move I would imagine which would involve a lot more work. Disabling the doors locking could literally be one check box and it’s done

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yes, as this is true to life, I’d like to be able to do this in TSW.

13. ghawk2005

Glad I’m not the only one them.