PlayStation Is Tsw3 Better Than Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Okay so I took a break from TSW due to the bugs just generally worn out playing it. I see the new Scottish route is coming out which has got my interest again. So is TSW3 good? Is it better than TSW2? Will I see differences after not playing the game for the better part of a year? I’m on PS5. Thanks for any opinions.

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yes. TSW 3 is better than TSW 2 in my opinion. Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but it’s definitely worth upgrading - especially if you want to play newer DLC.

• Like Like x 5
  3. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

It's better, but if it's better enough to be worth upgrading is another question.

4. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It depends. I am enjoying it now, but honestly I wouldn't say it worths upgrading unless you are specifically interested in any of the newer routes.

The dynamic weather is fun even on older routes, but it can sometimes be a little weird and cause interesting visuals.

6. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Tsw2 is a lot smoother to play than tsw3 on ps5. And full sun on a clear day in summer on tsw3 looks washed out and over blown it looks horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

A big yes from me, especially with the newer routes.

8. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The newer routes look impressive but TSW3 is flawed with so many bugs.

9. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'd say so, yeah. The big disappointment for me (on PS5 - because DTG still haven't grasped quite a few basic concepts of the console gaming experience) is the way you can continue your profile progress, but that basically screws you from ever getting loads of the trophies because the "Complete all scenarios" and some of the "Complete all route tasks" ones simply won't pop if you've done some/all of them on TSW2. Best off either starting a fresh profile (which I wish I'd done) or only use TSW3 for content which you've not started on TSW2. That said, the new routes seem well built - I've really enjoyed BCC and am hoping it will get additional DLC to boost traffic levels in the future. As OP says, the new Scotland route also looks great so that's a good reason for upgrading if you haven't already.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you want any new content you will have to get TSW3. It’s not so much an upgrade issue but a necessary one for any continuation. You will see differences but is it better? Yes and no. It has better skies and dynamic weather but it is still very much the same game. A new menu UI with a slightly different flow to get to what you want to play but the quality and the amount of bugs still vary on a route by route basis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I initially went with TSW3 simply to play Cajon Pass, and I'm glad I did. Otherwise there really is very little reason to " upgrade " unless you want any of the newer dlc.

It feels pretty much like its predecessor. Many of the issues in TSW2, like poor night lighting and scenery deficits, simply carried over.

I would say: wait for a new route that piques your interest, then buy the TSW3 bundle that usually accompanies it.

As you're on PS5, perhaps wait for the download manager to arrive for that platform, unless you enjoy playing musical chairs with your content.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  12. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you can tolerate. TSW3 has dynamic weather, 3D clouds, and different lighting. For that you'll sacrifice smooth gameplay and will need to put up with stuttering frame rates and micro pauses along the route.

• Like Like x 2
  13. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

I mean visually, it’s stunning- excellent job for a not especially massive developer- but the bugs can be a pain.

14. xsaw2121

xsaw2121 Active Member

I mean TSW3 is definitely better than TSW2 but it depends on what you're looking for The dynamic weather really adds to it though because it adds an element that TSW2 doesn't have so you just don't know what you're going to get sometimes which adds an element to fun to it but you also have to remember that you're pretty much just getting a slight upgrade over TSW 2 so if you go in with the right mindset and don't set your expectations too high yeah it's worse and upgrade but if you're looking for a mind-blowing out of this world next level train Sim this is probably not the one It's probably just worth sticking to TSW 2

• Like Like x 1
  15. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

It's worth switching to TSW3: on the one hand the new weather and lighting are simply better and the fact that there will be no more novelties for TSW2.

So if you want new routes and vehicles, the question is not whether to stay with TSW2 or not.

In general, TSW3 is already better, even if the changes are of a general nature.

16. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Based on my (quite short) experience, you can treat each game as a separate thing.
    If you have TSW2 and TSW2 routes, play all the routes in TSW2, until there's nothing left to unlock, or complete, or until you're bored of it and ready to move on.
    If you want to play TSW3 routes, you must get TSW3.
    If you own both, playing TSW2 content on TSW3 should be considered a bonus.

The only issue is for people who are picking up TSW3 now, and never owned TSW2. They may consider buying TSW2 content to play under TSW3, without realizing that this experience is quite buggy right now, and you can encounter issues that were never present in TSW2, and will probably never be fixed. There are scenarios you can't complete, achievements you can't unlock, and DTG do not seem interested in fixing these issues. So, for this particular situation, caveat emptor!

• Like Like x 1