Invitation For Dtg To Use My Signal Visuals

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jan 20, 2023.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

(DTG, you can use it. Just DM me for details)

I’m quite disappointed that TSW 3 routes still use the extremely poor looking signal aspects for new UK routes, including the yet to be released Edinburgh to Glasgow route, by Rivet Games. I decided to take things into my own hands and fix it myself for the Birmingham Cross City route.

I believe that these signals haven’t been set up to adapt to TSW 3’s much brighter TOD 4 lighting system, which is why they look so off.

Not only did I make them brighter looking, but I also changed the actual aspect colours, to better represent their real life visuals.

As you can see, the comparison below shows the difference between the default (left) and my version (right) All comparison shots were taken at the exact time of day and positioning. By default, the red aspect looks extremely poor, and can be mistaken for a yellow aspect.

It’d be great for everyone to be able to benefit from this, and not just PC users that decide to download my fix. The actual metallic signal plate texture was initially a texture I made, however as you can see, it was officially added to the game. It would be great if you guys could also add these modifications officially to the game, too. :)

D71D5912-7E1F-4143-96BF-677936798E4B.jpeg CFC53028-39FD-4BE7-AC91-14255D9FE519.jpeg 46E3055B-A597-4DEE-80F6-604D40599F24.jpeg

• Like Like x 61
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Whether they use your visuals or not, the look and visibility of the signals really needs looking at for routes with the new lighting. This goes for all countries. I’ve given feedback myself of how red signals look yellow at first glance and how signals just can’t be seen in daylight until you are right up close.

• Like Like x 10
  3. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

I love your work on Birmingham Cross City and its made such an improvement thank you.
    The enhancement pack was what convinced me to buy the route (and TSW3) after several months of not playing the sim.
    Don't know if it's me but with the enhancement pack I still find the red and yellow signals quite similar in shade and on approach its hard to tell if it's red or single yellow. Might be my eyes or monitor but in real life the red signal seems much deeper and therefore quite a contrast to the yellow.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. londonmidland

Thanks for the feedback :) Just to clarify, did you download the revised signal colours mod too? I uploaded that separately, after I uploaded the main mod. That should help with distinguishing signal colours better.

5. londonmidland

I agree. The actual flare of the signals needs to be vastly improved too in my opinion. The current one looks so poor. It looks like something out of a 90s game.

From the cab of the Class 323, here is a comparison of signal sighting. (Note I have lens flare disabled)

86BEA0F8-5165-4E87-975C-62C8D56382E9.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The visibility and colour correctness of UK signals on the TSW 3 native routes is way off from what they should be, your BCC enhancement mod is a necessity. In my view the work you've done there should be elevated to become the standard.

• Like Like x 4
  7. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Oddly I find the DTG red looks much more red in external view than from the cab. When driving I have to have the external camera set up facing forward just above the roof of the cab. Every time I approach a signal which isn’t green I briefly switch to external view to check which aspect it is. Not the most immersive thing to be doing!

Thank goodness for londonmidland’s mod. I agree it should be adopted in the main game.

8. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

WOW, is that middle screenshot really a red signal? That's just awful! I agree your mod makes it looks much better and your offer should be taken up by DTG forthwith

9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In some cases the color just looks wrong. You really see red, while the HUD says it's green.

10. londonmidland

One of the big issues is that the signals themselves haven’t been set up to TSW 3 lighting standards. They remain at TSW 2 settings. This causes the aspects to look extremely dim and in some cases display the colours oddly (red in this case)

• Like Like x 1
  11. londonmidland

Yes. The middle screenshot really is supposed to be red! I was really surprised at this and initially thought it was a yellow aspect because of how it looked.

12. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

I do agree that it's very difficult to distinguish yellow from red signals in UK routes (SEHS, ECW, BML and BAK). Thanks for your work, I hope they become default in future updates.

DTG Matt , please feel free to pass these enhanced signal LED's to the correct development team.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do agree London Midlands signal mods to Cross City are much more realistic and clearer. I have noticed in the past some yellow and red signals can be hard to tell apart. It would be nice if DTG used your mod or even did their own.

Your mods certainly make sighting signals easier on TSW and thank you for them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. londonmidland

Isaak theorganist Thanks for the comments guys. This is one of the first changes I make to routes. I’ve also adjusted the material of inside of the lens. So it is now far less reflective from light sources, thus reducing glare reflections from headlights. It also makes the inside of the unlit lens look less like a ‘cheese grater’.

• Like Like x 3
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

New signals are far better visually than stock

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Great work. This improvement is much needed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Even if they don’t want to improve the signals, they definitely need to increase the difference between red and the yellow.
    On SEHS particularly I can rarely see what I’m coming up to as the red looks yellow.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I'm happy just installing your mods. Few little tweaks here and there without introducing other problems.

• Like Like x 1
  19. londonmidland

Absolutely. For a console player like yourself, it’d be great if you could benefit from this improvement as well.

• Like Like x 2
  20. londonmidland

I agree. I had a particularly hard time distinguishing yellow from red so I decided to just fix it myself.

Glad you enjoy them. Look out for an upcoming enhancement pack which I’ll be creating for Rivet’s Edinburgh to Glasgow route.

• Like Like x 2
  21. londonmidland

Another issue I found with the stock signals is that they have an awful flickering issue when viewed from a distance. My mod fixes this problem thankfully.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Looking forward to both.

23. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

londonmidland try reaching out to Matt and JD to see if they can change it by tagging them, hopefully, they will response.

24. londonmidland

I would’ve thought they’d see this thread themselves. I don’t want to unnecessarily tag them.

25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

You're basically doing their work, for free. I'd say spending a minute reading this topic is well worth their time. Your signals look amazing. Any chance you can do upgrades to other (non-UK) signals as well? :)

• Like Like x 2
  26. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Hey LM, count me in among the many voices singing praises of your signal enhancement on BCC, it really makes a difference. Thank you so much for doing this for the community, and yes, DTG really ought to use your brighter, better-coloured aspects.

• Like Like x 1
  27. TrainsMag795

TrainsMag795 Member

Yes, thanks again for the great work you do. TSW is so much better because of you.

• Like Like x 1
  28. londonmidland

Thanks for the comments :) I may apply it to SEHS and possibly BML IF the latter route gets upgraded to TSW 3 lighting.

I can’t do anything to signals until the actual route has been upgraded to TSW 3 lighting standards.

29. londonmidland

Appreciate the comments guys :)

• Like Like x 1
  30. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Damn, what a difference! They really need to remake signals, and not only on UK routes. In daylight the signals are barely visible on Cajon Pass as well. Even if you see them, you will only know if it is yellow because of it being positioned in the middle, but colorwise it looky pretty close to the red one for quite a while until you get close.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I see you’re reluctant to tag DTG Matt - but I think he deffo needs to see this, so I’ve tagged him. Anything that improves the game for us players is a win win for everyone. Come on Matt, let’s be having this!

• Like Like x 2
  32. londonmidland

I think the issue is the signal colours and intensity of them on all routes have been untouched for a very long time. This has been made worse by TSW 3’s higher intensity lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  33. londonmidland

I don’t think the devs check the forums on the weekends but hopefully tomorrow they’ll see it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...nice signal lights glow effect and as always good work! It's precisely these small details that make TSW even more convincing. Hope it'll be part of a future core update so that everyone can benefit from it.

• Like Like x 1
  35. londonmidland

Thanks. I too love the way it looks, as the light from the LEDs glows onto the unlit LEDs. It makes it look more 3D like.

36. londonmidland

This is why I made my signalling mods - in Rivet's latest video, you can see the signals have awful viewing angles, with some of the signals looking unlit.

The actual signal is barely emitting a light, with the lens flare doing most of the work here. Behind the flare it looks like the signal is blank.

upload_2023-1-22_22-32-4.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. londonmidland

(DTG JD DTG Matt Poke. Just in case you haven’t see this thread)

38. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey, thanks for sharing, londonmidland.

Don't worry, we've seen it - I've asked Matt and team to review it when they get some spare time (can't give a time at the moment, I'm afraid).

• Like Like x 13
  39. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. It's a world of difference between the old signals and the new ones. If it wasn't for hid signal aspects (easier to just keep it on for when I drive in places I'm unfamiliar with their signal types), then I'd probably end up have driving through a lot of red signals thinking they're yellow, cause as it stands atm, it's very hard to tell the difference. In general though, I think signals could really do with some TLC. Having seen APs new signal EP for Train Sim Classic, it'd be really cool to see more realism in how the signals work like going through the different aspects to get to a particular aspect, and the older signals fading in and out as the turn on. So while I don't expect anything like that to be implemented, at least not anytime soon, having the signal colours and brightness be much more spot on will be a great start, and vastly improve the readability of them over what we have currently.

40. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Whilst they are looking at it is it possible to increase the draw distance for signal lights and train headlights?
    In reality you can see a signal light before you can see the signal post itself, especially with modern led ones. The same goes for modern headlights on trains. Currently you see a train with no lights then they just pop in when you get close.
    If it’s just a light I can’t that see it would hit performance too hard?

• Like Like x 2
  41. londonmidland

Thanks for the response. Hopefully the team will get some spare time to add it to the game - quite a few players seem quite keen on it, as you can see! :)

• Like Like x 1
  42. londonmidland

Same here. I don’t drive with the signal HUD on and found it very hard to distinguish between the colour of the signal aspects with their default colours. I decided to do a bit of digging and changed them myself. They were incredibly dim too.

The next step DTG can possibly take is to make the signals glow from further away.

43. londonmidland

I’d like if they could increase the distance too. In reality, you can see LED signals for miles under clear conditions.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I second that regarding train headlights. They really need to add headlight flare effect to trains, similarly to signals, so train headlights don't just pop into view 100m from you.

Performance from simple 2D light corona effects should be pretty much none. As said, signals already have them without a problem. And I mean decade old games like TS Classic, MSTS or Trainz have been doing them since the beginning.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

LM, do hope that you will work your magic on the new Scottish route once its out.

46. londonmidland

Oh absolutely. It’ll be one of the first things I plan to fix with it.