The New Home Of Train Sim World Discussion!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 16, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Hello everyone, welcome to your new discussion home fit for all!

What's Changed?
    All PC, PlayStation and Xbox discussion threads have been merged into this channel, and this will now be the home of all general discussion across all platforms.

Moving Forward:
    You will see 3 available prefixes you can choose from when creating threads that are relevant to the game platforms (PC, PlayStation, Xbox) If your discussing something that's not specific to any of those platforms, just use (No prefix).

As this space will be used to discuss all iterations of Train Sim World, it would be worth starting your posts with the Game/Route/Add-On etc it is you are going to talk about. For example:

upload_2023-1-16_16-12-18.png
    Please try to use this tagging as it helps us all to organise our discussion spaces.

If you have a technical issue with the game then please continue to use our Technical Reports forum space dedicated for this.
    You'll also find new pre-fixes for your posts in Dovetail Live Article Discussion and Technical Reports to help you organise threads elsewhere too!

Let us know what you think! :)

• Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

About time this happened. A main discussion forum was needed for quite some time in my opinion as topics that can relate generally to tsw often got separated in platform specific discussions when they didn't need to be. This will make discussions more streamlined also with the edition to put the specific game and platform next to the title of the thread, players can still have platform based discussions if they so choose so there should be no issue

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think this is the right move. Often there are interesting discussions in the console sections which are not console specific which you miss out on.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DTG Benjamin

DTG Benjamin Staff Member

I had a lot of fun today moving 220,781 threads over into this one MEGA FORUM!

We'll be keeping an eye on how everyone finds it, and please do let us know if you have any thoughts/ideas or if its not working for any reason.

• Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I think it’s a step forward.

Can the ‘Awesome TSW Service Mode Runs’ thread be re-pinned, please. It really helps having it easily accessible, and serves as a reminder to people to post the runs they discover on it. Thank you.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. DTG Benjamin

DTG Benjamin Staff Member

Done :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I hope this works out because it is how I think it should be done. A short period of adjustment for longstanding members but I think everything’s going to be okay. It’s just down to the unwashed masses (that’s us) to use appropriate titles above all else. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

To be honest not a fan, all the genuine posts will be washed away by those who are very opinionated on here, I thought the old forum layout was good enough and now I believe this will be come very messy. However after some time my opinion on it may become different as I adjust

• Like Like x 5
  9. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

This was the right move. I can only speak for myself, but I´ve browsed all three forums anyway (PC, Playstation. XBox). I can imagine others doing the same.

Now it´s all in one place. Good! :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The combined thread makes things feel more unorganized cuz there's a lot more stuff to scroll through since all platforms are combined. There's a lot more stuff to scroll through and find the thread you want. Guess I'll have to get used to this.

11. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I can get used to this! Much less clicking to get to the posts!

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

After having a better look around, I think the sickly blue prefix colour for Playstation needs to be changed to the deep primary blue it was in tech reports before the new prefixes came there. The other platforms are primary colours in the Train Sim World Discussion forum and I think it would look better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Cool! Finally don’t have to look at the three discussion forums separately anymore :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Glad to see that most seem to like this change, I do not. It is hard for me to find what I am looking for even with the labels on most threads.

• Like Like x 3
  15. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

Good Idea. It just takes geeting used to.

16. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Not a fan at all of the new layout, honestly. With the removal of the TSW3 feedback forum and the amalgamation of three separate forum sections into one, it looks extremely cluttered.

A better option might have been to move the TSW/TSW2 threads to a separate 'legacy' forum, renaming this to "Train Sim World 3 Discussion", and keeping a separate "Train Sim World 3 Feedback" section (which would be moved down to right above the Bug Reports section).

• Like Like x 3
  17. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

Back when I was a PS4 user I would rather use (and check) the PC discussion, simply because it was the most populated and therefore had more going on than Xbox/Playstation forums. I support the idea.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Seems like a big improvement to me. Much better having everything in one place rather than having to read 3 different forums.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Thanks Benjamin.

20. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm liking it already. Makes it easier to find threads

21. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Does the forum software allow for people to filter threads by tag? That would mean less to wade through and ignore while finding relevant posts. Might also add encouragement for people to tag correctly, if that meant their post was more likely to be seen.

22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Chalk me up in favor of the new format. I never cared much what platform someone is posting from. It's all interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

This is a great change although my only remaining issue is with the Dovetail Live Article Discussion section. I think DLC threads in this area should only be open/unlocked until a DLC releases otherwise discussions will still get split in all directions post release:

eg For the recent Bremen-Oldenburg DLC there were 3 DTL threads created:

Master The Electrics! 472 posts
    Bahnstrecke Bremen – Oldenburg, Out Now! 167 posts
    Something Old, Something Blue... 81 posts

This just becomes a chore both in both posting and reading as there are often double and triple ups of the same disccsion points. This would be better served in the main discussion section (ideallly in a single thread). It is a the exact same story every time a new DLC is released.

When The DLC releases, people still use those DTL threads to post their thoughts when they should really be going into the main discussion threads. It will just help keep discussions a little more organised IMO

• Like Like x 2
  24. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

That is the best way to start the platform war :-(

PS. it was not easy to find as when you do a search all the links are pointing to the old PC discussion, and there is no re-direction at all

a redirection link would have been helpful

• Like Like x 1
  25. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

Having information pertaining to the game in general split across three forums was just madness, this is definitely the way it should be done from here on in.

26. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Good idea to merge the three platform threads into one. Basically, TSW is played one third each on PC, Xbox and PS consoles. Moreover, we are all one community and not separated by preference for consoles or PC. Some even use all systems. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  27. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

Messy, disorganised and a bit of a chore trying to fathom out what's what....I guess it makes perfect sense that the forums should now adopt the same policy :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  28. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This is better and I do see this working on Train Sim Classic forums

29. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Great work!
    I actually just posted this in the suggestions forum, but I'll make the suggestion here too for visibility purposes:
    A pinned "Quick Questions" thread. For people who want to ask a QQ that doesn't warrant it's own thread.
    Does anyone else think there's value in that?
    Ex: "Where do I find the SIFA button in x train" etc
    I think it could be more helpful now that we've merged 3 forums together.

• Like Like x 1
  30. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

Disagree to this decision.

PC player of this game with no interest in console version and its limitations and miriad of unique problems whatsoever.

The PC version has enough problems and bugs to keep many threads going.

• Like Like x 6
  31. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

In that case just view the Threads with the prefix "PC" only... Problem solved.

• Like Like x 6
  32. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...as a console player, I could also say, why am I interested in PC players and their problems or mods. In the end, everything is connected and each platform benefits from the other. The slowly but surely phased out gen8 consoles and the 64GB limit from Sony were actually the main brakes in the console area, which should soon be a thing of the past. Of course, TSW originally started with the PC, but then quickly made the leap to flat-screen TVs in domestic living rooms. In contrast to the TSC, which was never able to do that. Also, this section isn't generally about problems, that's what the support ticket or technical reports section is for in the forum. It's more about general discussions, creative input and diverse contributions from any platform. Furthermore it's also a much easier way for the community managers to get a faster overview.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  33. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree, it's the same game, running on similar architecture, there is a big crossover of limitations and problems.

• Like Like x 3
  34. aeronautic237

Hang on why are there two PC prefixes? One is yellow and one is red.

35. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Why does this remind me of the Burlington Northern merging with Santa Fe which created BNSF?

36. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Tbh the forums shouldn't be limited to bug threads. There was plenty of gameplay-based threads on console sections that would've been engaging for players across platforms (especially since gameplay is almost exactly the same across platforms, depending on how many mods you're loading up on)

• Like Like x 1
  37. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Well, dont know. I dont like that much the merge, too much to browse, less clear...
    However its probably easier to manage one TSW forum rather than three...

• Like Like x 1
  38. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

One means stop, the other means the block ahead of the next signal is occupied

• Like Like x 2
  39. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

As expected, this sub-forum was quickly turned into an utter mess. The tags are used completely random and about 70% of the topics are actually bug-reports for the technical sub-forum.

Just a hint:

The tags are not there to indicate what platform you are on, but what platform the topic is relevant for. In most cases this is all of them, so no tag to be used.

• Like Like x 1
  40. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Care to point out a thread that has the wrong tags applied? It seems OK to me, but I read everything, regardless of tags.

This was true even before the reorganization. What we need is a moderator who can move these threads to the other forum.

41. Funny this happens but the issues in game that have been long standing are still long standing come on dovetail the harlem line issues the rush hour issues the npc issues the signal issues when is it all going to be fixed once and for all please do the right thing by all of us here in 2023 and move to unreal 5.1 and make TSW3 a smooth exp for all us hardcore long time OG players

• Like Like x 2
  42. Jonne1184

43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You can’t really use threads posted before the merge as evidence that the merge is causing issues with incorrect tagging. The prefix tags will settle down and are relatively inconsequential but I’ve noticed the forum is already better for not having separate platform areas. The correct place to post a thread is now easier to determine.

Bug/issue - Tech reports,
    Screenshots, own scenarios, videos - Creation Centre,
    Suggestions - Suggestions,
    Anything else TSW related - TSW Discussion,
    Nothing to do with TSW - Off Topic.

No more talking about a specific route or service or other general TSW topic to just one subset of the membership, and all threads conveniently grouped in one place. Topic titles are still the best way to see what a thread is about, so nobody should be relying just on correct tagging to see what is relevant to them, and for finding something specific there is the search function instead of endless scrolling to find what you want. The New Posts button is a great tool for seeing at a glance what threads have been posted in since your last visit, although the list includes TSC forums and the three posts a month that happen on the fishing forums.

• Like Like x 4
  44. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

More than that, I think these threads were tagged as part of the move, and they should be used as proof that the merge was the right thing to do. People used to post only in the platform they played on, even though the subject was not platform specific.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Jonne1184

Indeed I did not think too much about the topics older than the merge, however some of my list of newer and the last one is probably the worst offender. Worst though is the constant spam of bugs in this section.

46. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

The changes are doing very well so far, in my opinion! It’s much less time-consuming to browse through the forum sections now, which means I can spend more time reading and replying to the actual posts and comments.

• Like Like x 1
  47. aeronautic237

I've had some time to get used to the forums now, and I have to say I am quite pleased with the outcome.

• Like Like x 1
  48. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"Problems and bugs" shouldn't be on this forum anyway; they belong in Technical Discussions.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think this is an improvement. May I du two suggestions?

Renmae the Technical Reports section tyo Bug reports. The word Technical may deter people.

I also would like to suggest a separate forum for the screenshot competition. Now it pollutes the Creators forum a lot and makes it difficult to find information about mods and new liveries.

50. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I disagree. The original forums were full of discussions about problems and bugs.
    And, anyway, not all problems are technical, many are simply questions about gameplay among other issues.
    It's a " general discussion " forum. Let's keep it as wide- ranging as we wish.

• Like Like x 2