Ap Signal Enhancement Pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Jan 16, 2023.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Installed on day of release, and mighty impressed by the improvement to the default signals.

One query though: I notice that virtually every double yellow I approach, the upper yellow light seems to flicker and seems dimmer than the lower (so that it might even appear to be a single yellow from a distance).

I don’t know if this is an attempt to render a real world ‘loose connection’, or some such issue, or some problem with the pack, or indeed my PC?

I can appreciate the odd flicker as an attempt to replicate a failing incandescent bulb, but every time is a bit much.

Has anyone else noticed this, or anyone other issues with the Signal EP?

2. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I to had lens flare issues where the aspects would pop. AP did fix this in a patch on sunday have you redownloaded and installed this since then to have the patch update. They seemed to have fixed the bug i reported and it is working perfectly now and way more realistic.

3. inversnecky

Cheers, I didn’t realise there was a patch, will download today and see what change it brings.

How does AP notify patches like this? Obviously not through email to those who have purchased? Is it via the likes of Facebook (which I don’t bother with)?

4. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a great pack and has reinvigorated my interest in TSC. Scenarios can now be more replayable as well with the force aspect inclusion (when placed by the route/scenario creator). The signals look great as well.

I was wondering with the force aspect if there was a chance there could be a random probability of 'any' aspect instead of red/yellow/d yellow? That would make the scenario even more variable. Not sure if Richard ever comes on these forums, facebook I guess is the place to ask, if you have it of course.

5. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

They have the update log on the site but not every little change makes it on there. FWIW I log into my account every couple days, click downloads then sort by ‘latest updated’. Everything has an update date next to it which is, I find, the easiest way to make sure you have the latest of each pack.

The signal EP has had a number of updates since release & it seems pretty flawess now. I’m not seeing anymore bugs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. inversnecky

Thanks, I guess I didn't expect something so quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sparraboy

sparraboy Member

There is no need for FB as there is a thread titled 'AP update info only' just a short scroll down from this thread and it's normally updated as soon as an update is announced on the FB page.

8. inversnecky

Update installed, and the 'double yellow glitch' seems to have gone.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

ah good to hear. And to your other question about the update he posts them on Facebook. Perhaps he should look at emailing customers to advice of updates like JT does would be so much easier

• Like Like x 1
  10. fakenham

Has anyone had any issues with the markers (cubes) sometimes not showing up? I can see them when I first place them, then next time I open the route editor they've disappeared. Weirdly enough I've got some force red cubes showing when playing the scenario, not in the editor!
    It's proving to be a bit difficult keeping track of where I've put them (unless I press spacebar 8 times to see the green links, which is hard to see).
    Other than that, having great fun getting random delays on the MML!

I have the 16th Jan update installed.

11. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Are you editing a scenario or the route? I've never had problems with scenarios (although it is slightly annoying that the selecting AP from the flyout doesn't seem to stick).

That said, I was trying to add approach control to the Birmingham cross city route, copying what somebody did using the JT signals on ATS, and a force red box I used vanished. I added it back in and it then ran fine. Might just be me.

Speaking of which, one of the signals is "held at red until sighted": how far away is "sighted"?

12. fakenham

I'm editing in the route editor. To make the flyout stick, there's a little pin to click on the flyout, top right I think?
    I realised I hadn't ticked the signalEP in the products box on the right, they appear to be showing OK now... (edit...nope, not showing again)
    Regarding sighting, I believe each signal has different requirements in real life, so unless you have a cab ride which shows the release I'd just use the examples of distance in the signal ep manual.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  13. inversnecky

At about 800m:

82DF334D-5F4D-4211-9584-422EE01459AC.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Youtube video of the amazing Chris Horsfield showing off NSE route and teh AP signal pack in full use putting this amazing route and the scenario pack together = amazing!

15. inversnecky

Great stuff, what’s the full name of the route and where is it available? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

That's probably Network Scot East phase 2 from ATS. Not available at the time I write.

• Like Like x 1
  17. inversnecky

Noting that the EP has four approach control options:

40FBE1F2-1F18-4ED9-A191-02B95C6DECF0.jpeg

but only two have been used on existing scenarios, I was thinking it would be handing to list here scenarios created utilising the full potential of the Signal EP.

Being out a mere week, obviously the list will start from scratch, but might save a lot of searching.

On the sainted Alan’s YouTube video introducing the pack, he used a scenario compiled by ‘Sir Richard’ himself: I’m presuming this was a private test one, not publicly available?

18. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

If you’re willing to pay 99p for each one you can get these from Powerhouse. Just in case you haven’t seen these…

F97F4EF9-F747-4F97-A8A5-570F2481FFCF.png 462FCCA7-D96A-44FC-BEDB-A2BD3ECA3FF5.png 57D145E5-4620-4858-88F8-E5D75B306E3B.png

19. inversnecky

Thanks for that. Stands to reason that AP would be leading the way on these. I’d forgotten about their scenario set up. Will have a look later and see which I can used without needing a dozen other requirements.

• Like Like x 2
  20. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

If you install the powerhouse tool, you can order by number of requirements needed

21. inversnecky

Perfect! Nothing worse than seeing a good scenario, then the 35 requirements down the page….

• Like Like x 1
  22. Johnno124

Johnno124 Active Member

It can also show you what requirements you have installed. (i believe it looks for the relevant .bin files)

23. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Indeed you are correct it is a really useful program i really do like it.

24. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Just to add .. you don't need all the requirements to be able to buy the scenarios from AP.

I'm still missing a few of the wagon packs, but they are easily replaceable with the Loco Swap tool.

I have also gone in (using the in game scenario editor) and changed the date, weather and time of day to really show off the signals

So for example, the {AP26} 1A65 Sunderland KX AP scenario, I have set the weather to winter, and foggy/snow, and depart as its getting dark at 15:11.

My first reaction, was I thought the signal pack was a bit of gimmick and only really brought it as thought is will be a must have for future scenarios.

But I was so wrong, the pack really makes a difference and I am really enjoying it!

• Like Like x 1
  25. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Note that the pack was updated on 23 January 2023.

26. inversnecky

I have installed the AP Scenario program, and it’s very handy. AP have already prized another few pounds out of my hands for scenarios! The filter is quite handy too.

I realise you don’t need everything, DLC wise - as long as I have route and main train, the things that make it playable, that’s what counts.

I did splurge on a few more EMU EPs, and wagon packs. Maybe within a year or so, I’ll have got the lot and won’t have to worry about what I’m missing. At least the requirements are DTG and AP, and I don’t have to trawl the depths of other places that may or may not still have items.

• Like Like x 4
  27. PlatinumSLS

PlatinumSLS New Member

Howdy all, I'm encountering a small problem with the AP Signal Enhancement Pack which I'm hoping someone can possibly help me with.

I'm trying to implement a 'forced red' signal into a scenario I'm making involving driving a Caledonian Sleeper service diverted via the ECML on ATS's London Kings Cross to Leeds/York merged route. My plan is to have the CS consist stop at a red signal at Finsbury Park platform 5 for a set duration, with the idea being that the CS service is waiting for train crew to board and for another train to pass through platform 6/7 to overtake it. However after the set duration it's declared that the overtaking train is delayed and won't arrive at Finsbury Park anymore so the CS service is then cleared to proceed with the signal turning back to green.

I've set up the marker for the forced red at the end of platform 5, so that the player consist is within 10 metres of it upon stopping at the platform, and added a time of 21:52:15 for the signal to revert back to green, as shown in this screenshot:

The signal works as intended in game and holds the player consist at red from arrival at platform 5 until 21:52:15 when it turns green:

The problem is, when I then proceed out of Finsbury Park, I'm greeted with the SPAD game over screen as I pass the signal, despite the fact that it is green and no other trains are in front of the player on the fast line:

I'm not sure what could be causing this to happen. Of course the simple solution is to disable SPAD causing a game over in the options menu (I normally play with this option disabled), but I always build and test my scenarios with this enabled to test them for players who prefer to keep this option enabled. I've also made a quick test scenario on the same route using just a player train and a short journey between Finsbury Park and Stevenage with a forced red at the beginning, but this too also encounters the 'SPAD game over' when passing the signal upon it turning green.

Would anyone possibly know what the cause of this could be?

Many thanks!

28. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

With my (limited) tinkering of the pack, I think the force red, may actually be producing SPAD's as in a scenario I created I SPAD 12 timed apparently when I know that to not be the case. It may well be worth bringing this up with Armstrong Powerhouse via their tech support link to see if Mr Armstrong has any idea what is going on and hopefully being able to provide an answer.

29. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

can confirm i have had this as well on the debrief screen

30. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Mixed results for me I'm afraid. I've had SPADs on pre-SEP released scenarios that now use the SEP but I've also had clean runs on scenarios created since the SEP was introduced and with the SEP functions in mind, in fact I done a Adam Haigh scenario last night and this is the debrief..
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  31. 37418

37418 Member

I think this probably comes under the same realm of not receiving a tick at the end of a scenario. Ignore it.