Has Any Kind Of Template For An Ideal Suggestion Ever Been Posted?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Calidore266, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I have an idea, but I'd do much better following some kind of style guide than winging it myself.

2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The fact you're already thinking of a good way to post a suggestion means your suggestion will likely be in a better format than 90% of the suggestions.

Just show some pictures for those not familiar with the route, tell us what makes it special, and obviously be realistic in route length etc. Oh, and don't name your topic "Suggestion".

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I don't think an official guide has been posted. I only joined a few years ago so I wasn't here in the forums so don't actually know. But it should be common sense that a suggestion needs to have detail for it to be a suggestion. Can't just give me this and not explain

• Like Like x 2
  4. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

When I make a suggestion I usually format it like this.

Description of route (advertising the route so dlc description)
    Intro (why you want this route)
    Rollingstock (what they do on the route and why you want them.
    Scenarios (optional)
    Timetable (optional)
    Stations (major or all)
    DLC
    Layering (if applicable in or out)
    Outro (Summarise everything and ask if anyone has questions)

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

My format is this
    Contents
    Maps
    Description (route description voltage and train protection systems)
    Rolling Stock (comes included)
    DLC (includes layered trains somes cases train protection systems)
    Service Pattern
    Pictures
    Videos (also includes train announcements)
    Final Thoughts (why it should be made into the game)

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

My layout is:

Page 1:
    Intro,
    Why I think it should be in game,
    Stock included in base route,
    Training/Scenarios,
    Timetable,

Page 2:
    Potential DLC, (with Training/Scenarios included)
    Layers,
    Stations,

Page 3-5:
    Stations continued... (depends on how many stations are on the route of course)
    Outro

That's my layout of how I make suggestions on here ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

From someone who reads all the suggestions rather than making any, my advice is be thorough but concise when doing a route suggestion. Don’t waffle on forever and keep your suggestion to the fundamentals. Things like route length, year, the rolling stock, what services run are all good information to include. Try to keep it to one post. Going as far as suggesting all the scenarios and what other routes the trains may be able to add layers too, and adding descriptions and pictures of every station on a 30 station route taking up a lot of space, is superfluous and frustrating for someone reading a suggestion and most of it will be scrolled through.

A bit of background on a route is good but going into its full history from 1836 only to then ask for it set in the modern day with the most modern trains is somewhat conflicting information. Describing the route as it is in the time you want it set is better. Include a clear map if you can and pictures of the trains you want featured. Pictures of stunning scenery grab the attention of the reader better than many small stations. Make it read like a suggestion and don’t use marketing speak like it already exists, eg “Experience the hustle and bustle of…” lol

• Like Like x 3
  8. TrainGeek08

I mean, I do what I know everyone would like, which includes all those things I mentioned and I write my suggestions in my own way, like a way unique to me regardless who this is directed at, be unique in your suggestion, try not to bore other users with *one-line suggestions* etc.

*One-line suggestions annoy me as they don't make any sense to a user who doesn't know much about that route*

But I agree with you, I just include extra information because I can and no-one will stop me from doing it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

One line suggestions can be read quickly and then ignored! I don’t think many people like it when someone puts no effort in.

As long as a suggestion gets the general idea across for DTG to see interest in a route then it has done one part of its job, getting more interest from other people on the forum is the other trickier part. I think that’s where concentrating on the basics, plus any unique and interesting aspects of a route really helps, rather than just an endless list of all the stations on a commuter route. Of course you should keep doing it your way though, I know you put a lot of time and enthusiasm into your suggestions, but I don’t think it’s the right way for everyone to be doing it, so I suggested a more concise approach.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TrainGeek08

Yep, I agree regarding one-line suggestions, they are a pain :mad:

So what you're saying is mainly towards newcomers who are getting used to these forums I'm guessing ;)

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, and to those who don’t generally make suggestions. People who already do make suggestions can take my points on board if they wish but they are just suggestions based on what I would like to read rather than an attempt to get people to change how they like doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TrainGeek08

Yep, I understand that very well now, thanks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Thanks much for the input, everybody.

Balancing detail with conciseness is the eternal struggle; the line between the details being interesting vs. no longer being interesting isn't always easy to spot. As Elmore Leonard put it in his ten rules of writing, try to leave out the parts that people tend to skip.

• Like Like x 1