PC What A Difference New Video Card Makes!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Dec 4, 2018.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I recently bought and installed a new video card: GEFORCE GTX 1050i with 4MB GRDRS memory, replacing the 2MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 950. Please don't ask me what all of that means, but the difference the new card makes running either TSW or the new 64-bit TS astonishes me. Details of scenery, weather, rails, and rolling stock I'd never seen before now delight my eyes. I'm not one of those who claim extremely high fps rates, but with this card I'm experiencing an increase of 10-20% over those delivered by the old card and those rates are much more constant regardless of what's happening on screen.

I'll just add that installation was complicated by the fact that ASUS never intended having the original card removed: at least, I'll say that removing a tricky bracket and a stubborn power cord resulted in frustration and lost time. The new card, on the other hand, went in very easily and the DVD in the package made driver installation trouble-free.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

What's a DVD?

On that note, I'd recommend that if you got the driver off of whatever that is, that you go to google and look up "NVIDIA Drivers" to make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers on your computer and get the most out of that Ti. Unless the coaster did it for you...

Anyway reach out if I just confused you and we'll help keep that card healthy and happy for you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

Ah, yes, I should have called it a CD (you really don't know what a DVD is?), and it contained all of the necessary drivers plus some utilities for tuning and controlling the video card. There's no "we" involved here, by the way.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I'm sure you mean 4GB of video memory, not 4MB. In any case, upgrading from a 950 to a 1050Ti isn't a great upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless. I personally would have saved more money and purchased at least a 1070. That would have held you over longer. But if you're happy with the 1050Ti, then that's good.

Also, do not install the driver on the DVD. Just go to https://www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers. The drivers included on the DVD are outdated.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Alright then, be a douche canoe about it... Good luck with your "CD."

Say hi to AOL for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blogtraindriver

blogtraindriver New Member

Welcome Nvidia user.

My humble advice is that you should download and install "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" as soon as possible. Then you will automatically be notified of updates to your new graphics card. Enjoy.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

1. My OP does not include any request for help, suggestions, etc.
    2. I installed GeForce Experience years ago. I appreciate the fact that it lets me know when a new driver is available for my video card, but mostly it just annoys me with announcements of "Game Ready Drivers". This because TSW and TS are the only video "games" that interest me and GeForce Experience doe not even recognize their existence. Before any other do-gooder informs me about his or her ideal settings, let me just note that I'm very likely the only person who runs a PC exactly like mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

Whether Nvidia thinks these games exist or not, you still need to update your drivers regardless. They contain patches that can keep your GPU update with the latest firmware. Sometimes increasing performance in some games. So as people already said before, go to nvidia's website and download the latest drivers or use geforce experience to install the latest version there. Whether you do it or not doesn't matter to me or anyone here, we're just trying help you.

Also, just because someone doesn't run their PC exactly like yours doesn't mean you shouldn't account for someone sharing their game settings. Hell, sometimes they even help me and my PC definitely stronger than most. But that's completely up to you dude.

9. Louwe

Louwe Member

Perhaps a 'tip' for everyone struggeling with his/her graphic card: I got a GTX 1050, not the best i know, but it's good enough for me. Since the beginning a could not get the best performence out of it, like most other players with the same (pc) config system i have.. I had all settings almost fully DOWN but still not playable. I tried and tried manny config's on the pc and almost gave up hope, but then EUREKA, I went to my tv set, a Philips UHD 4k (after putting the game setting video 1920*1080 on the pc) and dive in de screensettings, there i find the setting: screen sharpness, i putt it to the maximum and voilla, at least 60% better sharpness!!!!!!! Then i went back to the game and there i put all settings at HIGH (leaving shadows and effects on low with screen percentage 125 (just to make comprimises and not that nessensary for me) What a diverence that makes, nearly almost constandly 30fps. Perhaps a silly reply, but if a can make one person happy with it, i'm happy. I know the pc performense makes sence but i find out that your tv-set does also. One thing: sorry for my bad English I'am just a silly 'old' Dutchman who tries at least.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Problem with Windows and updates is that it often causes more problems than it solves. GPU Firmware update yes but when Im searching for the problems I'm having with my GPU it's all NVidia related. I doubt AMD is any better but I worry about upgrading due to the multitude of problems with Nvidia drivers or the card manufacturers cutting corners.

Who is a stable manufacturer? EVGA? ASUS?

11. LastTrainToClarksville

Reminder to self: stop bothering to post anything to these forums.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I fail to see your problem really. Lots of nice people, trying to give tips to you and basically only nice intentions.
    What are the answers you wanted to see?
    What did they wrong to upset you this much?

• Like Like x 4
  13. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Happens all the time when you run into people who live on the internet. Literally live on the internet.
    Congrats on your new card.

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

As someone who has worked in computer engineering for about 20 years I can tell you that the WORST thing to do is constantly upgrade and update to the newest latest thing. Why? Because invariably there are faults and issues in the drivers. The thing to do is have the latest STABLE issue which isn't the same thing

Given that NVidia make brilliant architecture but are known for really messing things up with the constant driver updates I would always want to be about two to four weeks behind current build driver wise.

My main motto on this is "if it's working don't change it!". Same goes for windows updates etc. The only thing I keep bang up to date is virus definitions.