PlayStation Need Help Understanding Signalling And Atc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 2muchtony, Dec 13, 2018.

1. 2muchtony

2muchtony New Member

I can drive without the signal and speed limit HUD elements enabled mostly without issue on the GWR. Thinking that ATC and cab signals would make it easier I tried a scenario on the NEC but ended up getting stopped twice for reasons I didn’t understand. Is anyone aware of any good resources I could use to learn the signalling and ATC systems well enough that this doesn’t happen?

2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. 2muchtony

2muchtony New Member

Thank you. That does give me a better idea of how the system actually works, but it just happened to me again and I’m struggling to figure out what I could be doing to prevent it. Got stopped twice in quick succession heading towards New York Penn. The first time I was doing 59 in a 60, which changed to a 45 with no warning, so I got stopped. The second time was 200 yards after that, I’d just started to get going again, doing 37 in the same 45, but then it changed to 30. Am I just missing something really obvious? Most of the time the system seems really intuitive and helpful with how it counts you down. I feel like there’s got to be a way to see these sudden changed coming and slow down ahead of time, but I don’t know what it is. Or perhaps I just need to be quicker on the brakes?

4. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Can you grab and upload a Video of that when it happens? This should get people a better Idea of what might be happening

5. 2muchtony

2muchtony New Member

I’ve turned the HUD on for these, so I can see how it corresponds to the information I’m getting from the cab. Everything is visible except for the signal aspect which I never use when I’m driving with the HUD. You can see that I pass signals both times, but with no warning (that I can see at least) of upcoming speed restrictions from the cab systems. What am I not seeing here? I feel like for it to happen twice in succession like this, it has to be a simple fix.

6. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

You see the indicator left and right of the speed called ATC or ACES, ATC is the signal-speed, and ACES is the line-speed. It will always indicate the lower permitted speed.
    ACES drops down ahead of speedlimits on the route and you should always brake before you reach that limit, or it will give you an full service application till you are below the limit.
    If ATC drops the speed below you current speed, you have a few seconds time to apply ~50% brakes and acknowledge the warning. You have to leave it on >50% till you are below the indicated speed, else you get a emergency application.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. 2muchtony

2muchtony New Member

Okay, so it sounds like I’m just not braking enough for the ATC limits. Maybe I’m treating them too similarly to the more forgiving ACSES limits. So I guess if I apply the brakes hard enough and acknowledge within 8 seconds of the warning, it should be fine. I’ll try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018