Is Simrail What Tsw Should Have Been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Jesitim

Jesitim Member

Which missing stations? There are no missing stations, timetable errors yes but no missing stations. The map is made 1:1 with real terrain data. But we know by now you don't like the game, which is your right but please stop spreading misinformation.

• Like Like x 6
  2. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

has anyone try the editor?

3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I don't think they released the editor yet unless they have. But I remember them saying the editor would come much later or something.

4. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Not at Early Access stage, both like modding SDK at all.

DLSS mode causes ghosting while operating cabine controls. Uh... Will wait for patch, as DLSS is the best option for beautiful and fast picture there. TAA lacks.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Who are you to say what I like and don't like? I don't dislike SimRail but it has many flaws as things stand and they need to be fixed, along with a save game provided for single player, before I devote any real time to it. I just don't think it was ready for release, even as early access, in its current state.

As regards the missing stations I personally encountered Opoczno Poludnie which had a passenger stop flagged in the timetable but the location had no station or interactive trigger. Another user posted the same problem at Gniewiecin. Doesn't matter if it's a timetable or a route building error - the fact is it's an error. An error which triggers a loss of 1000 XP for missed station call and -250 XP for late running. So I certainly don't regard that as spreading misinformation - I simply reported what I experienced and what I read on the forum. SimRails biggest problem at the moment, is the small but vocal cadre of rose tinted supporters who seem to think the game is the train sim equivalent of the second coming, when in fact it's anything but and shout down even valid criticism or constructive feedback... End of debate so far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  6. denis

denis Well-Known Member

There are not any missing stations in SimRail

7. denis

denis Well-Known Member

SimRail Is aming to be In the "real" train simulator scene as Run8 or Zusi 3 are, and that´s the way some of us would like It to be, because at last we will have another alternative to train sim, and a better one hopefully.

Why some people want SimRail to be the next (or like) TSW or TSC Is beyond my understanding, but unfrotunatly this happens with many games, were people want the same thing they had before, a clone In other words, but with a different face.

TWS 3 as a simulation is more simcade then anything else, and that´s why people like It.

One comparisson occures to me the scene on FootballSims in the mid of 2000 s - FIFA series and Pro Evolution Soccer

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Meanwhile I've watched a few user videos from the published version of SimRail. I have to say it looks really good. Graphically, Unity comes very close to the Unreal Engine. So a big praise to the Polish developers. But what struck me was that the catenary contact wire is still too thick, compared to TSW, and therefore seems a bit unrealistic. But the Pendolino is really a smart train. I think I heard that the developers are also aiming for a release on Xbox and PS consoles aswell, meaning you can't ignore the large console market these days and only release on PC if you want to position yourself in the games market in the long term. But DTG doesn't have to be afraid, because once I've started I'll remain loyal to a brand and the peope behind. ;) But competition always stimulates business and usually ensures innovation. In the end, the railway fans will benefit, since other regions are offered.

What I also noticed on the SimRail cover is a BR52 steam locomotive, just like on the poster in the TSW training center. Not sure if Unity offers the same physics simulation as Simugraph, when it comes to particel effects, wheel slip and steam locomotives in general.

BR52 SimRail or TSW.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Simugraph is just a marketing term DTG invented to name their pieces of code and blueprints they've used while working with UE Editor. That's not a software product making physics of railroad vehicles in UE unique and exclusively for DTG projects.
    So Unity3d and UE both offer good physical Core - as good as your skills of work with the chosen game engine are.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 10
  10. Ello_bobbie

Ello_bobbie New Member

Had a go at multiplayer, only doing dispatcher.

The panels are really good. Found a few sets of points I seemingly couldn’t move so couldn’t ‘play trains’ much.

Dispatcher really impressed me, but not very engaging after a while. Needs more late running and other ‘random’ things to keep you on your toes.

11. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

some people are negatieve about TSW but it's fun for more groups off gamers. In TSW it's not necessary that you have knowledge about all the stuff to get a train in reality. You can drive without or with security settings but it's not required. In ZUSI it's mandatory so TSW indead is more simcade. But that's also a very strong point of TSW. You can drive and love the surroundings and if you prefer you can learn the system to manage it on a slower curve at you're own.

• Like Like x 4
  12. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I don't see how any of the complaints people have with Simrail relate to wanting it to be less "realistic".

• Like Like x 1
  13. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Come on, guys. All Simrail's present locos have controls not more hardcore than TSC standard ones. Throttle, reverser, two brake levers, radio. All other are non mandatory. If you want to love the surrondings just play Trainz with DCC mode. Maybe, SimRail will have AI-driven scenarios later, so You will play passenger's role being taken from A to B point.

I launched and rode EU07 without any knowledge of this loco. Just basic skills of driving DC electric locos. Twice I caugth traction motors overload while accelerating but fixed it and finished the service. Not a rocket science, after all. Just keep traction current safe and don't blow the rheostate, switching to driving positions and then coasting at a lower speed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  14. OldVern

Now dispatcher mode would benefit from a SP implementation, 1. So you can "git gud" at the more complex boxes without snarling up the MP and 2. So you can enjoy a full shift SimSig style, subject to being able go save of course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Incorrect. SimuGraph is not based on UE4 core techniques or physics (except it uses the node-graph visual style to present it to the user). Technically seen it is a separate piece of software, running as a sort of plugin in UE4 (it's more deeply integrated). Blueprint code is used to drive parameter changes from user inputs or events then, but is not needed to be used. It's easier for pure artists to combine the two things as long as it follows performance guidelines.

Physics in SimRail works differently to TSW (works more like ZUSI or TSC), but is not a Unity core physics based thing as i have seen.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and for EU07 locomotive if you used it in Simrail then it's UK cousin Class 83 will run the same way. On Neutral Sections if Simrail has it equipped wind EU07 down then power increase after Section

17. eldomtom2

Nothing you said contradicts what he said.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

All I said it's just a plugin written by DTG's developers to make design of rail vehicle components in UE Editor easier. Not the unique software making all trains ride better.
    Same plugin can be done by Simkol's guys an named like "OurUniquePolishPhysics". It doesn't matter how the train-with-track interactions were done both in Unity and UE - both are quiet good for their specific needs.

• Like Like x 3
  19. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

How often you will keep repeating that SAVE ? [Removed - Alex - Direct Attack] And yeah we know that there is no save function, yeah we know that your life depend on it but you dont have to repeat it in every post. You are basicaly only one who complain about that - at least in every post.

And then again the game is in EA, not a final product, while DTG is releasing their TSW 3rd time like a final game with the same bugs over and over and with false promises. When DTG announced TSW i really hoped that the game will be real simulator like they announced... with MP and editor. Their first release was just short HH route with 3 locos, 6 scenarios and timetable. And that was only one main route (not sure how long... about 100 km ? ) with cargo trains only... and that was at least for 6 months like that until they released new passenger DLC. But then they cancell editor (while they keep telling us to buy more and more DLCs so we can have assets for the editor). Then TSW 2 was released again with that BS about MP that they would like to release MP for TSW 2 one day... with TSW 2 they announced ingame editors in their first basic versions and they promised that next year v2 of those editor will be released... 2 and 1/2 year passed and there is still basic version and what more... with TSW 3 released they completely cancell that MP promise. For me the game is not going the way which was promissed in the beginning. I lost all trust in DTG and i hope that SimKol will go completely different way. So far they are doing great job.

• Like Like x 9
  20. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Totally agree.
    Just Editor would be enough, but even promised feature was not released for 3rd Party use. Only the chosen studios have access to, de facto working as a cheap outsource teams, making only the content DTG tells to do.
    Wise post, man...

• Like Like x 3
  21. OldVern

As often as it takes. Not all of us have hours at a time to spend on a train game,

And my life is a totally far from boring and would suggest that js verging on a personal comment in breach of the forum CoC.

If SimRail is so good and you have lost faith in DTG, what are you even doing on this forum? :)

• Like Like x 2
  22. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is surprising how many who have stopped using TSW because it is so awful, keep coming back to tell us! I wouldn't be hanging around a forum for a product I didn't use!

It says quite a lot that DTG have allowed this thread to exist. I am sure many company forums would not appreciate such a thread discussing a rival product.

• Like Like x 3
  23. OldVern

I think the thread was useful at the start to provide a bit of comparison and context between the two programs. However if it's just going to turn into sniping and trolling at alternative views then maybe it's time to lock it and direct further discussion of SimRail to their own forums.

• Like Like x 3
  24. rennekton#1349

I'm pretty sure editor and multiplayer were cancelled a long time ago. I remember sam saying during tsw2 times that multiplayer was never going to be a thing due to not having built the game from the ground to with mp. Also a given in tsw2020 since it never was in the plans. Editor was also cancelled quite some time ago due to other issues. So from my memory from tsw2 which is when I started watching all the livestreams and stuff, they never said mp or editor were ever coming. Editor due to licensing issues and mp requiring the game to be built from the ground up with mp in mind so couldn't be added anyway

25. eldomtom2

They absolutely 100% said that an editor was coming early in TSW1's life. The detailed news posts they wrote about it are even still up.

• Like Like x 3
  26. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

He's right. Editor was promised, and hasn't been cancelled, but shared with partner studios only.

Talking about will to close the thread from DTG - there's also a thread there, calling us to try with a working copy of illegal software, allowing user to screw, unpack and then modify and pack back original TSW's files. And yes, it REAL works. So where're your sanctions now, heh?

SimRail can't be a rival product as TSW and SimRail have different goals and aim auditories.SimRail will probably never go to consoles first. Only this one is enough to talk about which sim is more hardcore and geek-oriented.

• Like Like x 2
  27. eldomtom2

Well, strictly speaking the public editor was cancelled.

• Like Like x 2
  28. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

Whether the announced editor for Simrail will really come is still in the stars and full-bodied announcements in an early phase show that you can't always trust them. Simrail has to provide this proof first.

The fact that DTG allows this discussion at all speaks for itself. But I mean, you don't write in an official Porsche forum that BMW are that much better, do you? :D

Simrail and TSW are completely different for different groups and always will be. And: That's exactly a good thing.

• Like Like x 3
  29. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Yeah man i get it that you dont have time... but you dont have to repeat it in every your complain post that the game is missing save function.

And what im doing on this forum ? Well im still working on that unofficial editor.

What is for you long time ago ? Editor was cancelled when they announce TSW 2. Multiplayer was cancelled when they announce TSW 3 - thats not really long time ago. Just from their TSW 2 FAQ:
    "We want to bring Multiplayer to Train Sim World, and we now have a design that we think will give a great social experience. It’s been crucial to design based on the experience of the mode, bringing the right roles and communication to our online experience. Multiplayer is not part of Train Sim World 2, but it is something we want to create."

About MP for versions before, in their forum there was always reply like that:Multiplayer is still deep in development and the same goes for editor.
    or even that: Multiplayer is still heavily in development... ...we are planning for multiplayer to become a key feature of the Train Sim World experience and we’ll have more details on this in the coming weeks. (problem is that those details never came exept one time when they announced that MP will be released with first TSW DLC)

And about editor... again, when they released TSW 2 they give us some basic in game editor for scenarios and liveries with promise that another year more advatage version will come like a v2... than Rush Hour was released and no v2 tools... they moved them for release by Christmas in that year... Christmas pass and no in game tools v2, then TSW 3 was released again with the same basic tools.

• Like Like x 7
  30. rennekton#1349

I'm going off of livestreams. I was aware of those in the faq but didn't know if they were actually true or not since during several livestreams, they said no or ignored the question. I think what people want is full editor where they can create routes and stuff like the one in tsc which has received the answer of no

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  31. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/szociu8/status/1617548927498321926
    Polish text and pictures from Diesel engine CP (Canadian Pacific)
    It is Piotr Szot from Simrail http://simrail.eu/en/about-us
    If we translate this.
    We have already made contact regarding the route and trains from Germany, we will provide developers with editors.
    We have been operating from the USA for some time, because the local railway looks completely different than the European one - in order to convince them to SimRail, we create an American real route and trains."

if this is true, that is incredibly good.

Maybe this Cp route River_Subdivision
    Open railway map
    Cp map

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  32. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

oh wow CP rail sd70acu locomotive.. sweet well once the route is released i may buy the game.

• Like Like x 1
  33. reallychummy

reallychummy Member

What would make this really good is if it were the ECML in the early 1980s or a lengthy run out of Paddington in the era of the Hydraulics :)

34. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

What's interesting about this, is the devs that they contacted for this.

• Like Like x 3
  35. eldomtom2

I presume you mean "what is interesting is that they have contacted devs".

36. jörgen Näslund

• Like Like x 5
  37. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

So far I have to say what I have played to date has been fun and challenging looking forward to playing it more.

• Like Like x 2
  38. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Very interesting and I wonder if they are going to take on Kicking Horse Pass route or not?

39. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

For a game that is in a pre-release stage I have to say that I am quite suprised. In a good way.
    Meanwhile in TSW we were stuck for months with AI trains crossing red lights and causing a service failure, freight trains derailing for absolutely no reason, and other gamebreaking bugs that you would expect for a game that has been on early release for... how many years now? The other day I wanted to play with the Dispolok 182 on Munchen-Augsburg and the in-cab LZB didn't work, which led to penalty brakes being applied as I couldn't acknowledge LZB-ende (well,i couldn't see it). How come we still have so many issues with LZB (among many other things) these days? :)

I'm genuinely scared to play TSW for fear of whatever gamebreaking bug there is that will make me pissed at the game.

As many have mentioned i don't think the two games will compete against each other. Simrail offers many things that TSW doesn't, and that TSW doesn't seem interested in or is not able to - I believe the latter, but I would be glad to be proven wrong. And Simrail will catch up on the other features sooner or later while DTG still allows routes on gen 8 to go live, despite crashes 50% of the time in some conditions (like driving into Dresden in either Dresden-Chemnitz or Dresden-Riesa)

For the sake of this debate remember that we are comparing a game whose core features are still in development vs a finished game that has been out in the market for many years.

• Like Like x 6
  40. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I posted this on Squirrel's channel, worth reposting here. Sums up my thoughts on Simrail at the moment. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on Simrail yet, but Im def keeping a close eye on its development

• Like Like x 4
  41. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

At 4:50
    "... as early access goes, so we´re gonna see a lot of crazy stuff ..."

Why did this make me chuckle?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  42. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I've played it hours more since my original giddily excited assessment, I am a bit calmer about it's current capabilities now and now have some things that bug me that I hadn't noticed before. But I'm still drawn to play it every time I have a spare couple of hours for trainsimming, and I hadn't felt a desire to fire up TSW even once since I installed it. I'm sure I'll go back to TSW eventually, at least occasionally, but I am a lot more excited for what is coming down the pipe in SimRail now. The update they just released only reinforces that feeling. I've felt for a long time that DTG is a lot of talk but in the end they are just not good at supporting their product. Something is weird in their process. They are all very nice and enthusiastic people, and their explanations for why even simple small patches take forever in their product seem to be logical and understandable when you watch the streams, but they just do not hold water when you start looking at other games and how they're developed. This SimRail update that just released fixed more things than three of your typical updates from dovetail, and it took them a couple of weeks to make and release - without being stuck for months going back and forth between "testing" and "QA" and then still somehow managing to introduce a whole new set of bugs. Their team, without talking about or trumpeting it in advance, just went ahead and released an update that fixed a lot of stuff, and also improved the scenery and rolling stock. That's just nice.

Also, there is a lot to be said for the fact that SimRail is EARLY ACCESS and is stated by the developer to be very much unfinished - and yet it didn't crash on me once yet in 20+ hours of play, most of it in multiplayer. TSW3 crashed on me twice just the last time I tried to play a session a few weeks ago, at the same spot in the same service. Not to mention that it has been crashing on exit for months with nothing about that getting fixed. And that's a game that has been out for years, that is supposed to be finished and rock solid. I'm not trying to be nasty to DTG on purpose, if I didn't think TSW was worth it I wouldn't have invested all this money into it over the years. But now it seems to me that we have a better alternative. I don't get the talk about the two sims not really being competitors and going after different audiences. I don't see that. Train simming is niche enough that both hardcore and easy going sims have enough of an overlap, and lets be frank here - DTG are trying to make their sim more detailed and realistic all the time. They're just very slow to do anything, and nerdy little inaccuracies are understandably not at the top of their list when they are constantly stuck trying to put out huge fires of their sim crashing and expensive DLCs not working as they should in much more basic ways.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  43. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

longer routes, dispatcher mode, multiplayer. Those are the items Simrail has over TSW right now. (and save feature :D) Until they actually release the editor then you can't really claim that. They also need way more variety of countries. The editor would fix that of course.

I watched a few videos of dispatcher mode and it looks very cool to me, not if you are easily bored by sitting and waiting, and not if you only want to drive, but if you like wandering around and trainspotting, and also enjoy playing RailRoute then it's a dream. If they put a box by a huge mainline terminus it would be amazing, but probably require multiple people working the dispatcher, divided into sections.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There are more countries on the way someone posted pictures of CP SD70ACU, there is also talk of a German route and US route to come as well.

• Like Like x 1
  45. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

If new routes come at 1st stage, we can talk that the story with content creation and Editor going to be the same as DTG's one! :D

46. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

The devs said that they first priority is to fix trhe bugs and improve the experience, then they will focus on other things.

And btw. the Simrail will be available on Geforce Now :
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2023/02/02/geforce-now-thursday-feb-2/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

no it's worse than TSW the game has physics but it's really a shame for a game that says pro rail simulation the traxx is really a disaster the physics is not good even OR does better and for all train the way the switches are taken it's really aggressive and not adhesion on a EB train no but not talking about something you don't master

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  48. anthony.wood

anthony.wood Active Member

Mind explaining what any of this word spaghetti is supposed to mean?

• Like Like x 6
  49. jörgen Näslund

The developer (CEO) writes this in Twitter today (translate from polish goggle translate)

Thanks to the use of satellite images, geodetic data and AI algorithms, we are able to generate the terrain, road layout, vegetation, buildings and many other elements automatically. We are currently working on expanding the technology to the rest of the world.

In SimRail, it is sometimes worth leaving the cabin for a small walk around Warsaw or Katowice. Probably many people wonder how we mapped nearly 500 km of real terrain - we have developed a technology similar to that known from the latest installment of Microsoft Flight Simulator. 1/2

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  50. reallychummy

reallychummy Member

I've got vague memories of that terrain generation method being part of the original spec of MSTS2.