Riding The Trams

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Tom Fresco, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Hello

I was very interested to see how the Edinburgh Trams are done ingame, as AI Trains (Trams) are a new addition to the game. They are set up as proper RailVehicles (Thats why you can see them on the map, driving on real track) and can be spawned with either the God mode mod from TSC or scenarioplanner extensions via the Engine.ini file. (PC only, as always)

I set up a little scenario to test if the tram can be the player service (it cant, somehow it derails instantly after loading into the scenario), but as a freight AI service (due to the doors/passenger Loading being non functional) it works.

20230127150506_1.jpg

So I placed a tram in scenarioplanner in Waverly and another service for me to spawn in. As the tram departs immediatly as it gets priority out of Edinburgh somehow, i needed to be quick, but i made it and found out, that you can walk into the tram through the doors that arent on the first or last section of the tram.

20230127150622_1.jpg 20230127151251_1.jpg

The passenger Area with the two big doors on the 2nd section that you can walk trough into the tram.
    But you cant walk trough the entire tram unfortunatly, as the way into the next section is blocked.

20230127151427_1.jpg

The interior looks okay, and the trams even have a working headlightthat also illuminates the passenger area in tunnels. Sounds are also pretty decent for an AI Vehicle that you normally just see from your train, even has a litte tram bell that goes off every now and then.

20230127151537_1.jpg

The tram at Haymarket

I'm trying to set a scenario up and upload it onto the CC, so everyone is able to recreate this trip, as i dont oknow if there are areas where you can walk right onto a tram station or on the tracks to be able to go into the doors.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Tom Fresco

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 11
  3. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This looks great but for those of us who don't happen to have this route yet,might it at all be possible to post a video of your amazingly crafted service on youtube to see this sevice in action.Unfortunately this route needs some fine tuning and i'm weary of buying it until it's in better condition but the tram was the one thing i was interested in,so seeing it be more then a background object,this now gives this route something worth reconsidering getting sooner then later. Thx.

Plus if possible assuming you are able to provide a video of your effort it would also be informative to see your tram boarding techniques in action so the rest of us who may try them at some point might also be able to ride/visit the tram without falling out to much.thx.

• Like Like x 4
  4. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Wow they really put all that effort into a tram? Even to make it available on scenario planner???!

• Like Like x 2
  5. SHINO BAZ

Note:Not to get off topic but it was stated that you can see the tram on the map on it's own tram route tracks,so what tracks and how much of the maps tracks are for the tram only?Imagine if you could place non trams on this line o the fun one one could have with that option.Plus the trams line said to be standard guage as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tom Fresco

It isnt (normally)

You only can Spawn them when you have mods installed or modified your ini engine to use every train Formation there is in the game.

SHINO BAZ
    Normally i dont Upload videos of my scenarios as i dont have a YouTube Channel, but my scenarios, especially the Special ones, tend to appear in a Stream or video on YouTube from time to time, so If i see Something i'll Post a link.

And the Tram Tracks on Edinburgh to Glasgow are the Normal Standard Tracks, with mods like the god mode mod you can spawn and Drive every train you want there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tom Fresco

Its straightforward walking trough a door in the middle of the tram from ground level (regular platforms are way too high) no Special tricks there, but im sure there will be a video of it this Weekend

8. SHINO BAZ

O i almost forgot to ask is the tram scenario limited to PC only or can console players use your scenario as well?

9. Tom Fresco

No the scenario is for all platforms like all my Creators Club scenarios :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

*looks at the light levels in the screenshots*

*goes and puts on sunglasses*

Well, that's definitely a TSW3 route alright.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Princess Entrapta

In all seriousness though, nice piece of work putting this together to showcase a nice bit of work they put into this route which people might otherwise miss out on. Obviously since they're not intended for players to board in normal circumstances, there's a whole bunch of missing detail, but it's always interesting to see something like this.

(I still wish we could get up close to this baby in RRO)

upload_2023-1-27_18-57-2.png
    yes, that is a pic of the model my German friends sent me for xmas <3

• Like Like x 1
  12. SHINO BAZ

One has to wonder if rivet games where considering having this tram be more them just a background thing because theres to much work put into it just to be a simple sideshow.Maybe it was intended to be used and ridden in but they simply didn't have the time to finish it.Because bugs big stations playable pianos and red doors where more important.

For example the fact that it's tracks appears on the map and the tram has a real time table with 78 scheduled times created just for it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well I mean it probably was just easier to set it up as a proper in-game train on real track and timetsble than to do some unique workaround for it. Remember, the barge on the river on the new german route also works like a train, you can even repaint it in scenario planner.

14. Princess Entrapta

Unlikely. They're just detailed enough to pass a visual inspection from outside. I imagine they're modelled ingame as proper trains because it's the most convenient way to have them work on a regular timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic love this one of my favourite scenarios

• Like Like x 1
  16. SHINO BAZ

Well at the very least rivet games could use the knowledge they gained doing this tram and service to build a future route for such a service (With a tram that could be driven,rode in and relivered).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I can't wait to test that one out myself! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tom Fresco

And i think thats where rivet is best, small enclosed routes like iow 2022, which is the best rivet route imo. No problems with emptiness due to missing stock, short but all there is and nicely detailed.

Something like IoW again or a light rail system would suit rivet, one train and their nowadays very good modelling would be perfect for such a route, and physics of such very light units arent the most complicated thing to do.
    And they did it already kind of with Arosa.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SHINO BAZ

You know now that i think about this routes tram service would be a great one to start with i believe it's 8.7 miles long similar to IOW length.
    Rivets game already done some of the route for this route so mainly the sections still needed are in the city areas plus finish up the parts of the tram like cabs full interior and station stops city traffic etc.It will takes some additional work but this routes is easily within reach of rivets so research and pictures of details shouldn't be to hard to access for them.

20. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

While an add-on for a tram system that uses on-street running on any of the route might be a bit much to ask due to new simulations of road traffic and peds required, something like DLR that (I believe) uses entirely dedicated rail could be fun to play

21. SHINO BAZ

Don't forget rivet games has already tested the street running waters with there arosa/chur route where the chur street running area has a train going thru areas with road traffic so rivets has at least a idea how this should work already.

Plus the trams could also be a totally sperate route if need be.With the 385's being the background AI trains this time.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  22. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Nice work Tom Fresco quite a bit of ingenuity to get that to work :)

• Like Like x 2