Br Blues?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Mar 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Why would you need a sound pack for a reskin?

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Inver...

I think (possibly) its because 45 / 46's had SULZER engines, similar(?) to 47's... Maybe an "engine sound" factor???

Just my thoughts...

Eric

3. inversnecky

Maybe I completely misunderstood it, thought a reskin was purely graphics, not sound too.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Some people base their reskins on their model with the sound pack.
    If you know what you are doing with the *.bin files you can make the reskin work without the sound pack

5. inversnecky

Ah, right, that makes sense now.

6. ttjph

ttjph New Member

It may just be that my eyes and/or memory need re-calibrating, but several of the (real) newly-blue locos on the Severn Valley (including the Clayton, which was there when I saw it in blue) look the wrong shade - is it just me?

7. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I recall a discussion on Steam about it, casually noting the official is technically green (well, almost, self-correction, see below), apparently multiple paints were used over time, plus the effect of aging paint having a tendency to produce any number of shades, usually lighter, but also getting rusty. Our electric loco paint is medium-dark blue, but I've seen locomotives being light sky or oceanblue up to and including nearly white.

I mean, Google:
    upload_2023-2-6_15-52-7.png
    upload_2023-2-6_15-52-36.png
    And then if I look it up, it's s till very ambiguous, compare the two on the left:
    upload_2023-2-6_15-55-28.png
    upload_2023-2-6_15-56-17.png

8. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

Although maybe a trick of the eyes, the large logo versions always seemed to have a darker blue. But maybe, it was just fresher paint.
    It was a very long time ago, but I remember 45`s and 46`s at Sheffield during the early 80's, did not look too dissimilar form the first picture in this thread. I think weathering and sunlight exposure has a lot to do with it. I remember seeing a LOT of differing shades of blue across the network.

9. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Given that there's a British Standard for the paint, I doubt there's much doubt about what it should be.

My understanding is that the colour tended not to be reproduced well by colour photography, often appearing lighter and bluer than real life. That might be one explanation as to why it got darker with time: colour film emulsions improved. So new photos are better at showing the colour it always was.

10. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Going off at a slight tangent, I remember reading somewhere that Western Region locos usually ended up lighter (in colour) than everywhere else as the acid baths (washing plants) used to wash the locos were more aggressive than everywhere else...!!!

Eric

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I've covered this comprehensively earlier in the thread. The official is not green, and all the paints used were British Standard colours. It is actually BS381C-114, NOT RAL5001. RAL5001 is much lighter. It is actually named "Rail Blue", sometimes referred to as Monastral Blue, not Ocean Blue (no idea where you got that from, but it's wrong). All this is available in the original BR Branding documentation.
    You also cannot not trust hex codes off the internet and you cannot trust what you see on your screen. Most website renditions of colours are massively inaccurate, and what makes it worse, is people's screens are not calibrated well and most muggles have no clue about colour profiling. The internet is the wild west when it comes to colour accuracy. If you read my posts on the previous page, all will become clear.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  12. Pookeyhead

This really is a myth, and there is no reason why film should be incapable of rendering the colour correctly. More likely, it's the printing of the photo that was to blame. As an experienced photographic printer, I can assure you that it's very easy to get colour wrong when printing (especially if there is no reference colour or context to use as a guide). It's also easy to get colour shifts in processing unless chemistry is fresh, and temperatures are under control. Some films were capable of astounding colour accuracy, and still are. You are far more likely to get incorrect colour in this day and age with digital due to the fact that amateurs (and professionals who should know better) just can't resist post processing everything to death. You can't say this to amateurs though, they get very upset, and trust me, if you think the people in here are capable of high levels of arrogance and nerd rage, try a photo forum full of bearded old men who shoot trains, "landscapes" and wildlife. LOL

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Pookeyhead

Probably because of the greater percentage of white and yellow in contrast affecting your colour acuity.