Class 385 Sounds Need Drastic Improvements

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jan 28, 2023.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

What is such a nice and detailed model of the Class 385 is immediately let down by such poor sounds and poor implantation within the game. This is in line with the Class 150, which again Rivet have done a great job with the actual model design but this also suffers from very poor sounds and a poor audio set up.

Onto the Class 385 - The 'running' sounds are horrendous and the obvious looping of sounds really starts to get quite tedious after a short while. There's a loud wind noise whilst in the cab and the door opening and closing sounds are way too loud. This leads me to believe there is some sort of audio occlusion issue, which means the external sounds aren't muffled out correctly.

Secondly, there's no 'secret' as to how these sounds were obtained. A significant number of these sounds were recycled from their IOW Class 484 and then remixed. The actual 'running' sounds are one of the worst offenders, with it clearly being the stock TSW/Class 166 sounds.

Accelerating sounds in cab sound like a spaceship or rocket taking off. In other words, its just 'noise' with no real distinction that its from a Class 385.

Lets hope DTG can obtain fresh new sounds from ScotRail (I ask kindly for no one to interfere with this ongoing discussion between DTG and ScotRail) as well as DTG themselves doing the mixing (audio set up)

What could've been such a good release has been let down by poor execution. The Class 385 sounds need pretty much an entire re-work. For the asking price of £29.99 this simply isn't acceptable.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 37
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

I fully agree. It is clear that the sounds were used from the 484, and does it really become tedious after a while to drive the route, not to mention the monotony of the route itself, where have you ever seen such inhospitable terminal stations?

Missing Rush Hour releases....

• Like Like x 3
  3. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I find the initial sounds and anything up to 60 mph are fine, but after that’s it’s unbearable. At least closing the doors has an impact on the wind noise and running sounds!

What is disappointing is that it’s a step backwards, the 323 sounds were incredible, so maybe we’ve been spoilt! Just some consistency would be nice, especially when everything else about the 385 is brilliant!

• Like Like x 7
  4. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

The reason for this is the 323 audio was sourced from Armstrong powerhouse as this add on was a DTG one

• Like Like x 1
  5. londonmidland

That‘s incorrect on both points there.

DTG sourced the sounds for the Class 323 and this add-on (Class 385) is by Rivet, not DTG.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

For me, if they cannot obtain proper sounds for each model then that model should simply NOT be made, if this affects route choice or era then so be it, it would be like driving a Class 40 with Class 37 sounds or driving a Class 47 with Class 57 sounds! No thanks!

Only time I would compromise would be if the model they are creating no longer exists IRL or no longer runs

• Like Like x 7
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

They weren't actually. Dtg found a conductor/guard I believe named Daisy who works for wmr and she recorded the sounds with help from a driver.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. rennekton#1349

Rivet Games is poor when it comes to sounds and physics. In terms of modeling, they are really good. Dtg are better at sounds and physics.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The one that really gets me is how any time another 385 pulls up at the opposite platform I can hear its door opening and closing sounds louder than the ones on my own train, the one I am inside.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The axel seemingly unattached to the bogey needs to be looked at too. Not sure how the modeller missed that.

• Like Like x 8
  11. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Dont get your hopes too high. Their turbot wagon has also a missing axle bearing housing at one side. I reported this a long time ago, never got fixed.

Pretty sloppy work from whoever makes them and doesn backcheck his final work.

• Like Like x 5
  12. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

I get that on most routes and trains. Not sure why that can’t easily be fixed. Maybe a core issue?

13. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

the best train sound wise in game is the 465/9, of which has sounds recorded by Armstrong powerhouse, maybe DTG/Rivet could consider working in partnership with them more often in order to give us top quality sounding products?

• Like Like x 7
  14. rennekton#1349

They do work together at least DTG and AP to a great extent recently (66, electrostars, 313, 314, 465) and will for future content where applicable and dtg gets the rights to use the sounds of course. Rivet did get AP sounds for the 150 but you see how that turned out. AP does not have recorded 385 sounds I believe. And even if they could source the sounds, I don't think Rivet would do a good job implementing it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Plus the Class 20, Class 31 and Class 40 and not forgetting the Class 45 with its magnificent brake rub sounds.
    However it seems of late, sounds seem to have gone on the backburner.
    And for anyone hoping Rivet and/or DTG will sort this out, look no further than the dire Class 150/2 and the 1938 stock, still near silent when coasting or braking. There will be some vague promises from Jasper, but let's face it if they had any integrity they would not have issued the content knowing full well how awful the sounds are. And DTG should shoulder some of the responsibility as they ultimately have the oversight on what goes in the TSW stores.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

What about if the model exists on a heritage line only, and cannot get above a certain mph/ or the owners do not want too?
    Would we be stuck with sounds that are imagined above this?

Sounds like a silly restriction tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scorpion71

Well if it exists on a heritage line then obviously it exists in IRL and I'd be very surprised if a heritage line would turn down cash to record their loco(s) sounds. I'm sure AP recorded at least one loco from a heritage line for TSC, possibly DTG too?

18. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

You all get that DTG just aren’t bothered by this sort of stuff? What follows is what DTG carry as a disclaimer in almost every TSC manual. In my opinion it’s nothing more than an excuse but it should tell you all you need to know about their attitude to this issue.

Whilst we do our utmost to reproduce sounds that are accurate and true-to-life, sometimes these sounds may not completely tally with the user’s expectation. Due to the nature of the simulation, it is often not possible to reproduce a completely accurate soundscape for a variety of reasons such as limitations with our current technology and occasional inability to gain meaningful access to the locomotives being created. You should therefore regard the audio reproduction for our locomotives as authentic interpretations rather than perfect recreations.

If you are holding out any hope that there will ever be a new set of sounds for this 385 then you must also be fully committed to the concept of the Tooth Fairy.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

More the point I'm making is that most heritage lines have speed limits under 30mph. That, combined with the age of units usually means some museums would be unwilling to run them at full speeds or all day to record specific sounds. So say a train with a high gear switchover (150 for example), those sounds would be impossible.

Different example, but the tank museums tiger 131 gets run twice a year at most and is very reluctant to run it more due to fear of terminal damage/scarcity of parts.
    When you get to that stage, no amount of money is worth it.

20. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Just want to put this in. Remember, sound is a very subjective thing and how one person hears it can be drastically different from someone else.

• Like Like x 3
  21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It's probably slightly easier to record diesel locos as you could just thrash the guts out of each notch while stationary. With an EMU the traction sound is going to rise and fall with the train speed so not so easy. However I definitely think Rivet should have thought carefully about the choice of train to include with the route, if they knew there wasn't a cat in hell's chance of getting official access to record. Then again, bearing in mind the prototype is on their doorstep, you would have thought they would make a couple of reference rides and homebrew recordings as a basis for synthing the sounds up from something else.

At the end of the day, it's Rivet. We knew this would happen. They already got away with it in the past, they'll probably dodge the bullet on this one, DTG will still meekly accept their next route offering in six or whatever months time, knowing full well the sounds will be rubbish.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Scorpion71

Older loco's would be harder to grab sounds than more modern ones for sure, however the 385 is modern and they've not got the sounds, they could of made the route in an earlier period where I believe 158 and 170 sounds have been done by AP, could of had an arrangement there to use their sounds and set the route in an earlier period, anyway sounds have never really been an importance in DTG's priority list and probably never will be plus rivet are terrible at mixing sounds anyway, previous releases tell us that.

23. rennekton#1349

That happened for one of the locos for sos. I think it was for the 8f, idk. But it couldn't be run on the mainline so the sound engineers did some sound magic based on what they had recorded to get the number of chuffs right at high speeds and stuff

24. rennekton#1349

Itsya165 created a video where you don't need to have a professional recording session to be able to create new sounds. It might take longer but he was able to remove all background/unnecessary noise to a sound recording he took as a passenger or as a fly by in about 20-30 minutes. He shows how to do it all step by step. So at the end of the day, not being able to record should not be an excuse since a modder is able to prove you don't need to rent out an empty train for an entire day to record every single thing. That would be the ideal situation but that's rare these days

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. rennekton#1349

Even with ap sounds for the 158 or 170, rivet would have messed it up. An example is the 150 which used ap sounds. The physics were wrong too which made it even worse

• Like Like x 1
  26. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the next class 66 iteration with the ferrrari enzo sounds remixed into it

• Like Like x 4
  27. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Definitely requires improvement it's not good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  28. champier#2613

champier#2613 Member

Funny thing is Rivet has s developed video on how they got the sounds which showed someone actually on the train so idk how they managed to mess it up this much plus that wind rushing sound is atrocious

• Like Like x 1
  29. rennekton#1349

I think that was only for iow 2022. But that too wasn't implemented well. They didn't actually record for the 385 I believe so they had to work with what they had

30. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

I totally agree with that.

The sound of the 385 is the worst sound since TSW3. Real really bad.

In addition to the small window and the lack of visibility on the track, the sound ruins the whole vehicle, so there is no fun for me. I can't stand it for more than 10 minutes, then I want to finish the route.

I can only repeat myself, the sound of the 323 by DTG was just fantastic, so the disappointment with the 385 was so blatant. I would have wished for a constant quality here instead of such peanuts as flying moths, pianos or (a handful of) usable elevators.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  31. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Covid restrictions are gone mostly and the only reason if sounds can not be recorded is maybe if they are creating US content and for whatever reason nobody can provide an audio source /nor record session.

But inside uk with devs having their office in the uk + AP also located in the uk (he has the tech for record sessions and for sure better experience in that than anybody else), for me its just not an excuse to get sloppy.

I dont get Rivets vision, there is just always a portion of lazyness and sloppyness in their addons. This from the begin, and if they finally manage to brake the circle with doing better, in other things they manage to go back 2 steps.

Their stuff gone down the river isnt what bothers me, that nobody else is gonna make a class 150, which can keep up to the known tsw quality, that fact is (p)ixxing me off as hell.

So where does this franchise go if some devs pollute the entire dlc database with sub par quality stock?
    Cant wait to skyhooks next bogie debakel. If this is what you call "i gave my best", then i tell you its not good enough. Means not worth 30GPB, and for sure not worth my time.

• Like Like x 5
  32. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You are spot on and that would be what some community members call typical rivet games mistake the sounds and Physics package. The first one being DR Baureihe 112 DR V100 DB baureihe 204 Main Spessart Bahn proper name for it is Bahnstrecke Hanau Hbf Asschaffenburg Gemünden Würzburg.

33. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

They should be fixing it otherwise it would be left to how other trains they made being broken despite promises to fix it Class 150/2 Poor implementation of AP Sounds 204 physics package

34. champier#2613

champier#2613 Member

But the point is they at least had quality recordings so how did they mess it up so bad even if they reused the sounds

35. londonmidland

Simple. Poor sound mixing. One obvious example is the extremely obvious looping going on with the 'running' sounds.

• Like Like x 3
  36. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

37. londonmidland

Wow. Rivet clearly don't know how a 385 sounds in real life as the motor sounds are constantly sounding despite no power being applied. Literally making the train coast, the motors will still sound as long as the wheels are turning...

What an utter shambles this train is.

• Like Like x 5
  38. champier#2613

champier#2613 Member

If I didn't invest so much in TSW before I got my gaming laptop I would definitely switch to PC just because mods

• Like Like x 1
  39. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

I defended Rivet Games in its early days, but after Sursee - Luzerne, where it's been 10 months since this DLC is buggy (ETCS, unplayable at night, AI, etc.), and now this new DLC, we feel that the bad work has taken over the beautiful promises.

Personally, I stop the fees with Rivet Games; far too disappointed since 1 year.

If third-party developers release such low quality, it's because DTG doesn't mind as long as it sells. But the TSW license still takes a big blow in the rear of the head and loses its superb: a highly realistic simulation :(

• Like Like x 6
  40. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I agree. I bought the route for the features (which also are disappointing, there are only about two working elevators and the announcements sound like platform instead of on board announcements.
    The 385 looks very good, but i cant stand the Sounds for the 50 minute drive, and it has the usual bugs like being able to open the doors while on the move, etc...
    But its a blast to take a HST or any other train over the line. :)

• Like Like x 3
  41. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

A wonderful heads-up for the members here on PC - during an update to his Class 375 sound pack on TSC today, ItsYa165 confirmed he and another user are currently working on a sound pack for the 385! :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Yeah i agree, i just check Edinburgh Waverly and find only 2 working elevator, the rest doesn't even work, i thought that all the elevator in the game are functional but ONLY 2 elevator, that is like half unfinished product. Also why does the announcement sound so horrible, its does not sound any appealing, i believe they have someone from their office to do the voice, which this person doesn't feel enthusiastic recording the audio, it sound like she doesn't like the job.

I hope someone here can get a better announcement recording and add it to the game, cause so far the announcement feature is okay, not the best, even the real voice on the announcement sound way better than the one current in game. :|:|:(

• Like Like x 2
  43. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is their HOME route... those trains are literally running around them every day, yet they botch it so badly... Rivet should really only focus on 2nd party stuff for DTG. Make 3D models day and night, maybe then we could get some proper variety in rolling stock while avoiding these horrible missteps.

• Like Like x 7
  44. Ilba8765

Ilba8765 Well-Known Member

Something I completely agree with you. After the first ride, this one was so awful for me thanks to this sounds. The most important aspect is just completely ignored here. Rivet Games are very good developers but very terrible in terms of sounds. Please have this done by Armstrong Powerhous or give them a contract for this. For Dovitail Games exactly the same, only their sounds are a bit more but then again 10 times not realistic. Developers who completely ignore the music of a train engine or make a simpler version of it only make their reputation worse in my opinion.
    And with DTG's other DLC you can also hear well enough which trains they have added sound mods (Linus Train Tips) (Train SImulator classic) that are often correct while with other trains this is not at all, rather an overpowered mess.
    like the BR 425 VS BR 422 big difference in sound quality!!!