What Will Be Good Cpus For This Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhs#1408, Dec 30, 2022.

1. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

RTX3060, 500gb SSD, 2tb HDD, 16gb RAM, radeon 5600X(with PBO), B550 AORUS elite.
    most other games(like CoD MW2 remastered, Fallout 76 and so on) run quite nice,
    TSW3, acceptable and even nice except for large Hbfs.
    but in TS Classic... well, i expect more than current framerate.

i heard that it uses only single core, and it really was(around 13~17% usage)
    cannot afford whole upgrade of this PC, so i think maybe change CPU would be the only option(or with motherboard)
    so what will be the best CPU choice to keep solid 60fps even at large stations?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The other games you mention are fairly recent - Train Simulator is still running on a 12 year old base.

3. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

yup, it really is... but anyway since i want to play it, there should be an adaptation on current status of the game for me.

4. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Ryzen 5 5600x (which I assume is what you wanted to write) is a pretty modern CPU so it should be relatively good even in single core thanks to generational improvements. Modern Intel CPUs might be a bit better due to higher boost clocks (above 5 GHz) but they also come with ridiculous power limits, which is why I wouldn't personally go that route.

This might also be a helpful comparison:
    https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r23_single_core-15

• Like Like x 1
  5. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

yes, 5600x is usually fine... but still bottom 32fps at NJ transit(at overgroung big station) is somewhat hard to overcome
    maybe try 7700x is option according to the chart if B550 receives it. it's x1.3 better according to chart.
    also price is kinda reasonable in my country, too

6. Honestly your wasting money if you think higher end cpus or gpus are gonna make any difference.

Upgrading from a 2700x and 1050ti to a 12600KF and rtx3070 gained me 3fps (lows) and and around 10fps (highs) on most routes.

The game is the limiting factor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

hmm. need to be adjusted for laggy moment then.

8. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed in recent weeks the frame rate especially at stations can be a bit lower (and I mean sometimes under 10 fps, something I’d never seen before).

Not sure if I’ve done much to change anything. Cleared more space on the SSD, got a few more AP DLC, installed a couple of routes.

Could it be that having more AP DLC means AI trains that couldn’t run before because the requirements weren’t there, can now, so more CPU work at busy stations?

Does the existence or not of the DLC required for an AI service make much of a difference, though, if the computer thinks it’s running, but not visible? But I guess all the extra graphics calculations for now visible AI trains will affect frame rates.

9. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I cannot state this with enough weight behind it, but if you’re looking to upgrade your CPU and don’t wish to go for the ‘new gen’ and everything that that entails then you have to get the Ryzen 5800x3D.

From personal experience, where I traded a 5900x for it, as far as gaming goes it is leagues ahead of anything else. With my 2080ti TSC went from being always CPU bound to always GPU bound, something I never thought I’d see.

I have been very lucky in also getting hold of a 2nd hand EVGA 3090 FTW3 as a gift from a mate (I know!) and even with that card it’s the same thing, 95% of the time TSC is GPU bound. In addition, MSFS (also a very heavily CPU bound game) is almost always now GPU limited, although I haven’t had chance to try that with the 3090 yet.

If you use your PC for gaming cores and threads are largely irrelevant. You only need enough to game smoothly, the rest just sit idle. If you want bang for buck with that setup it is an absolute no brainer & you certainly won’t regret it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  10. inversnecky

How do Intel processors compare with this Ryzen?

11. JetWash

From a gaming point of view nothing can touch it because of the 3D stacked V-Cache. As it stands it’s the only CPU to utilise it, and is better for gaming than the ‘new gen’ 7900x. The clock speed tops out just over 4500mhz but it turns out clock speed doesn’t really matter when you’ve got 96mb of L3 cache to play with!

If, however, you use your PC for other intensive tasks then there are better options that strike a balance between gaming and production. If it’s pure gaming this is currently the best. It’s an absolute steal at it’s RRP too.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d

12. inversnecky

Thanks, JW.

I don’t see a 3D model on the list below from a local computer shop. Obviously I can purchase elsewhere, but I just wondering if the other (pricier) Ryzens would offer a similar advantage. Or does it need to be that 3D variant?

771FD436-3331-41A9-A20D-397067A26DDB.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. JetWash

It doesn’t appear to be listed there. You’re right, the 5800x and the 5800x3D are very different things :)

FWIW I bought mine from Amazon but I would also highly recommend scan.co.uk. I’ve used them a lot and they’re excellent.

This is what you want…

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd...4ghz-45ghz-turbo-100mb-cache-pcie-40-105w-cpu

The only thing I would say, is that if you were planning a whole new PC, then there is supposedly going to be 3D cache version of one of the new generation processors at some point not too far away. However, if you’re on AMD architecture and happy to stick with Zen 3 then this is a noticeable difference over anything else in the AMD line-up. I was definitely sceptical but glad I made the switch. If you’re interested definitely have a look on YouTube at some benchmarking vids etc. You won’t see many (if any vids) mentioning TSW & TSC but for me it made a big big difference. The difference to TSC was night and day.

If anyone is interested I’ll shortly be putting my ASUS ROG Strix 2080ti OC up for sale on ebay. It’s still a monster of a GPU and will run both MSFS, TSW & TSC in 4K at or close to 60fps.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1