[obsolete]- Page File Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by 749006, Jun 2, 2020.

1. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

As from January 1st, I've been playing with only 1 active route in my Content Routes folder, I created folders in my Content folder so I have over 200 routes to play on currently installed and just move each route backwards and forwards from the Routes folder to another folder suitably marked up to play another day, to date I have not had an OOM on any route, maybe that's worth a try, have just a couple of routes to play on for the day and see how you go on.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  2. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

I have been messing about with this issue for over a year. I found that there were several things which helpedme.
    1) Don't run at full graphics. I have found this helps
    2) My pc has crashed several times until I found out that Windows does not normally set you up will full access/admin. I have since set up my user account to 'Owner' on this pc

Yes there are a lot of other helpful tricks to read about this issue. I have come to the conclusion that the scenarios which are more susceptible to a memory issue are more likely not as well tested when they went into release status.

Now my pc is finally reasonably happy with most scenarios. I run ThirdRails in parallel and am having a blast recoding all of my scenarios and publishing to my web site.

Safe Travels

3. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

Does increasing RAM actually reduce the out of memory issues? I get this issue all the time on most routes but larger Just Trains routes like MML are completely unuseable despite having 16GB of RAM, I tried to get answers but it seems to be on my end so they won't do anything. I just bought the County class and that on it's own is causing it after a few minutes.

4. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

My experience is that it can help but is not the solution. I certainly get less occasion of this happening, however, it seems like certain authors generate better scenarios than others and the better the scenario is put together the less chance of this error occurring. Would I personally spend $50 again? Yes I would

I bought an additional 16GB memory for a different reason. I started using the ThirdRail Radar app to track my rides and observed a different type of memory issue. Now I can run both apps and rarely get an Out of Memory error.

I have found that Justtrain and Workshop scenarios can definitely be more troublesome. I also have all of the AP scenarios which prove to be very robust.

I look forward to DTG providing a rewrite of the core software which will, I hope, help pinpoint where inefficient code is causing the memory leakage that we all abhore

Respectfully

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

They will. DTG JD And this misleading thread will hopefully be unpinned. I have never encountered a real Out-Of-Memory crash on 64bit - just this "fake" error message covering all sorts of issues - mostly related to assets. Pagefile was a thing 20 years ago when RAM was low.

Even when you encounter this message, the game still runs in the background, updating your SDBCache.bin.

A REAL OOM will be caught by Windows and displayed by the OS - which is not happening here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2023
  6. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Torf
    Some (definitely not all) TSC OOM's are captured by Windows (10) by using the "View Reliability History" and/or EventViewer apps. But the majority of these errors are recorded as 0xC0000005 errors, however, looking at the associated data with these errors can give some indication of the type of error recorded.
    IMO the majority of TSC errors are probably due to "Invalid Page Faults" (NOTHING to do with the page file) ie a mismatch between the VAS, CPU, MMU, and RAM.

I agree this misleading and inaccurate thread should be unpinned or deleted.

7. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

I am have the error message quite often, this is not fake and I am not making up any part of the issues I have gotten with this. What benefit would I gain from falsely claiming that there are crashes if there weren't any? This is getting to be similar to experiences with Fernbus.

8. kndy#7484

kndy#7484 New Member

I had the same problem a few days ago, did the same thing as mentioned on other sites of unsubscribing to workshops, page change, regedit, checking my nvidia settings. Didn't work and still received the error. Uninstalled the game, reinstalled the game, uninstalled all DLC's and it didn't work. I ended up deleting the routes folder in the content, that worked. Granted, had to reinstall the DLC's again but no biggie (took longer to fix the issue than reinstalling everything), didn't lose any save data thanks to STEAM cloud storage.

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I never said there were no crashes - but they are not "Out Of Memory" crashes. This is a generic message that tells you to try 64bit even if the crash occured on 64bit - a clean indication that the real cause is not taken into account before displaying that message. It is a hardcoded message - and this will be changed in the next version of TSC luckily.

10. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

I am on 64-bit but I thought the current TSC was the final version with DTG focussing on TSW now. Hopefully we get more information as there seems to me no way to tell. OMSI 2 has a log that is constantly recording so you can check the last entry before it crashed to see what the issue is, in which case is usually due to running out of memory being 32-bit but has also helped find missing assets when I come to a failed map tile. Can't something like that be implemented?

11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Read the Live Article on the future of TSC. :)

12. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

13. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

I have been through all of these frustrations. The main thing I did to relieve my pain was to set down the resolution of the graphics I was using. With my upgraded memory and reduced graphics I now typically only get this error when I am in the scenario editor and making multiple changes to the assets in the scenario.

I can pretty much repeat this error by editing a new scenario and switch out different locos (I am taking screen shots). I have 1 rail, no background tiles and am just changing the loco or rail car I want to photograph. I am hardly using any memory doing this. If I keep switching out the asset I eventually force an OOM error. This tells me there is something wrong in the way the memory is being stacked and an incorrect use of error handling with the current base software. Most likely an incompatibility. We have to remember some of this code is years old. I am guessing the error is most likely due to how assets are generated and released. I would also guess that AP assets are more robust than say Justtrain assets.

I can say this categorically as the ONLY thing I am changing or even have in the editor is an asset or two, nothing else and I get the OOM error.

Respectfully

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  14. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

Good example of OOM I experienced today:
    Kyle Line - 2H87 18:36 Inverness-Kyle (Class 158,1999) Justtrains
    Started with default Class 158 from JT - 4 miles out from Garve I received an OOM error. In addition this loco was not able to make the time shown on the Scenario (RR Class 158 DMSL)
    Swapped out for a AP Class 158 (APEP 158C RR DMSLA) and received no OOM errors

Again I believe that it is the quality of the assets being used which may be one of the sources for the OOM errors seen.

(Also discovered the need to ensure that my ID on the pc had Admin Access to certain Registries)

Respectfully

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Kilt - the point I was making that what you receive is not an out of memory but some sort of an appcrash which is handled by RailWorks.exe.

Anyway, TrainSim-Steve promised a much more stable version.

16. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

torfmeister thank you for your reply. Yes I understood what you had said. The only reason I added this info is that I have found a short term solution for some of the experiences I have seen. In the example this morning I found that by changing the asset to a AP 158 I stopped getting errors on this route. It is the same route, the only change is the asset used. I only added this info in case it was of use to players in the short term. I wanted to suggest alternative options to the usual ones quoted as change page file etc.

I agree that the new software release, if it incorporates a better error handling routine will be beneficial for everyone. That way we will be able to know exactly what the fault is during any time we see these events.

I also mentioned the challenges with not having full admin access to the key registries. In these cases I did NOT get a OOM. I received either a Blue Screen or a complete windows crash/reboot. I am running railworks.exe along with Thirdrails (and of course other background apps such as music). I was not blaming TSC for this and suspected interaction between software. Bottom line when I set up my pc I used default settings and have found that if I did not set myself up with full admin access I saw these true pc crashes occur.

Just wanting to help give some advice for new players.

As I have followed your posts I know that you have a great understanding of the code used behind TSC.

Respectfully

• Like Like x 1
  17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Well, I haven't disassembled it yet :D. Just sort of vague reverse-engineering and some experience with faulty asset blueprints.

18. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

My most interesting discovery was the of the 2 assets, the one from the S9BL folder at full speed (not going over the limit) reached Dingwall and could not make the time set in the timetable. The AP version did manage. This makes me ask is there something different about the way they are handling the speed/distance/time equation and the interface with the scenario tiles/geo-distances.

In addition I would agree that just operating the AP asset is much more responsive and fun to ride.

19. feedbacker1

feedbacker1 New Member

I've just installed TSC on a pretty high spec machine, and it's crashing every time, after a few seconds, or sometimes not loading at all. That's 64 bit. It seems to run OK on 32 bit, but with horrible graphics artifacts. Inexplicable.

Do we think the core update will resolve all our problems?

20. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

What sort of errors are you seeing?

21. feedbacker1

feedbacker1 New Member

It's mostly just frozen screens without any error message. The full screen game won't relinquish the screen either, so I end up having to sign out and sign back in again. A few times it's dumped me out and given me the generic unhelpful error message that everyone seems to get.

I should possibly add that I'm on Windows 11, and it seems that that OS is particularly problematic with TSC?

22. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

I am running Windows 11. I had a few issues getting my machine stable. Lessons learned from me was (1) be aware that any antivirus or optimizing software may cause freezing (2) non up to date video drivers can be an issue (3) user level of access can also give errors.

I now have my pc working correctly. I am hopeful that the new software update will provide a more robust platform.

Respectfully

BTW - I used Task Manager in parallel on my second monitor to see what was interfering with operation of TSC. I also have Thirdrail running in parallel and really enjoying logging all of my runs :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  23. feedbacker1

feedbacker1 New Member

Thanks kilt46 - that's really interesting. I will persist in trying to sort it out, and likewise hope that the update might make life easier. Much appreciated.

24. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I think with the update Win11 will then be officially supported.

• Like Like x 1
  25. I've also have crashing issues with TS, it's not because of my computers hardware. In my opinion, this problem relates to the game itself. It seems to request to use more ram other than required. I've got 24GB ram and the game crashes. I could drive around 3 to 4 scenarios before the game tells me it's had enough. I could spend around 2.5 hours without doing anything in the Editor before the game crashes or if I am lucky around 1 hour editing, but one mistake like if I try to open the 2D map the game crashes.

The best way to really explain this problem is to refer it being as 'Cortana' which uses and abuses more memory than what it actually should be limited to. So, TS is just a simulator version of Cortana :D

26. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Just wait for the update. This error is not related to your memory amount or page file size.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2023
  27. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

Sorry to hear you are experiencing more OOM issues. I am sure you have repaired all of your DLC and have cleared your cache. I have found that certain DLCs by the way they have been written have more chance of creating the OOM error. Hopefully the update this week will start the journey towards pointing to the actual culprit files that are causing these events to occur.

Respectfully

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The way the game work is by loading information in to the memory, like when you play a scenario. But after playing the scenario it does not always release that stored info. Sometimes closing the game after two or three scenarios then opening it again helps.

I presume having posted your comments in this thread about Page File Issues your Page File is set correctly?

29. Yeah, I already knew that. I was just stating that I am having the same issue, I didn't really need any help regarding it.
    I've always just let the game crash or exit after driving 2 or 3 scenarios. But when it comes to the Editor and your working really hard this game is just like Cortana eating memory resources. That's why I disabled the rubbish, just saying!!

30. maxtedrw

maxtedrw Active Member

On this subject I am just going to add that ( as noted in earlier comments in other threads ) I solved a lot of OOM issues by a rigorous program of making sure I had no duplicate consist entry ID's in any of the consists or consist fragments in my entire Railworks Assets Folder - as in no duplication in any asset/provider or between asset /providers. Once I had done that I went from repeated OOM's on some routes to none - but it still didn't eliminate them entirely - so it may be that there are other causes as well but this certainly made a huge difference to all bar my WLOS quick drive scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  31. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I have solved many asset related OOMs too, having seldom crashes only related to the Editor.

DTG JD I think this thread should be unpinned, as it is completey misleading as there is no problem with the page file and the stability issues have been adressed by TrainSim-Steve

32. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

It's not pinned my end, but one of the team might have already changed it. At any rate, it's not pinned any more!

• Like Like x 1
  33. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As you don't think this advice is worth anything it might as well be deleted?

I know it solved problems for me and other when I adjusted the Page File.
    I think Peter Hayes might have pointed me towards this info

34. Peter Hayes

I have written extensively about the paging file and IMO this topic should be deleted as much of the information it contains is inaccurate.

• Like Like x 3
  35. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Deleting would be censorship, I think there's still interesting posts to be found in the thread. Unpinning (happened) and maybe Peter changing the thread title ought to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What do you suggest I change the title to?

37. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Maybe put [OBSOLETE] at the beginning...?

38. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Despite the fact going thru the Page File SOLVED the problems that I and others were having

Other People have decided that this page is Obsolete.

39. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

Bit like me.

40. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It was a possible correlation, not a causality as Peter Hayes has explained. Will try to trigger OOMs now with the updated core. Editor here I come.

41. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Other people seem to be getting the OOMs with the latest version

42. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

None so far - maltreated the editor by quickly moving large consists around.

People who use an installation in a different location, out of Steam's reach, must of course make sure themselves the update is transferred manually.

43. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Really?

44. slenderman7676RBLX

slenderman7676RBLX Member

I got the update and guess what? I cannot even start the simulator any more. Every time it finishes loading and fades to black. Boom! OOM with no extra info. I'm even running LogMate and can't see the probable cause.

45. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

Try deleting the SDBcache bin and md5 file if you haven't already. It's located somewhere (I'll have to look to find out!) in your railworks directory. if that doesn't work, contact support.

46. slenderman7676RBLX

slenderman7676RBLX Member

Done that and now it is even worse. It OOMs instantly. I guess it might be time for a full clean reinstall and all the work behind that (Finding and reinstalling the many reskins, AP packs, etc. Some recommend verify but then others say don't because verify breaks third party enhancements/mods.

47. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

Yeah if you are going to verify may as well do a clean install as it'll basically be quicker to re add all the things back in one at a time then find out what verify broke :( - sorry the SDBCache didn't work out - might point to a more serious issue with your install.

48. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

49. Peter Hayes

Peter749006
    Because they are wrong and do not understand basic computing and I have explained why earlier in this post.
    If it were a page file issue Windows would report it not TSC.
    It is NOT the size of the Paging File that causes OOM's but it could be due to the contents of the PF which are not cleared when you close your PC.
    You can have corrupt code in a PF and if TSC has to access the PF it may trigger an error.
    Always clear the PF when closing your PC - Google.
    When you resize the PF it is moved to different sectors on your hard drive so any corrupt code is no longer accessible.
    My PF is now 512MB min/max cleared on PC closing - no OOM errors.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  50. dolanbaker

dolanbaker Active Member

From Google
    Clear pagefile on shutdown
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
    • Select ClearPageFileAtShutdown from the list on the right.
    • Right on it and select Modify.
    • Change the value to 1 to enable.
    • Reboot your computer.

Clear pagefile on shutdown - Tweaks.com
    upload_2023-5-2_12-31-28.png
    Tweaks.com
    https://tweaks.com › windows › clear-pagefile-111n-shut..