Scenario Creation Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Jan 22, 2023.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

(Had a search for this to see if there already was one, but couldn’t find a generic thread.)

So, after a few years on TS, I’ve resolved to have a stab at creating a scenario, and have some YouTube videos lined up to watch (think there was a good article on Steam too?), but I had a query re setting timetables for trains. How do you know what are realistic times to set? Is reference made to real timetables, or (gu)estimating based on speed limits and distances?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. SJA

SJA Active Member

Tbh I just make mine using Real Time Trains for current stock (such as AP 700/800), and search archives for timetables featuring older stock. For AI I look out what I can, or set it to 85-90%.

If the stock in simulator can't quite handle those timings without terrible driving technique, I relax the timings a bit and allow myself to suspend disbelief within a reasonable limit, so as to not encourage said unsafe driving technique :)

Mind you I only create scenarios for myself so others are much better placed to comment.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SJA

SJA Active Member

I meant to add before actually, that if you are just getting into scenario creation, it can help to afford yourself a bit of freedom. I started by just running a few AI services besides my driven service, plonking some loco + wagons in passing loops, the odd person on a bridge, etc.

One of the best things about TS Classic is that you can make a route feel like a living breathing railway without being a slave to absolute timetable accuracy, unless you plan to release the scenario to the masses. Once you get used to the tools, and testing, you will feel more inclined to go the way of timetable accuracy, etc:)

4. inversnecky

Thanks, SJA. I’m not fussed about timetables, really, it just occurred to me.

I like a few adverse signals, inclement weather etc, to keep me on my toes!

5. SJA

SJA Active Member

That's fair enough Inver. I don't know if you have either the UKTS or AP invisible blockers, but they're perfect for setting up to run in front of you to create yellows/reds as it takes up next to no resources, and you can only see it in the editor and not in the sim. Very useful for areas already prone to stuttering in my limited experience.

6. inversnecky

Sorry I should clarify, I meant not fussed as to be glued to the HUD to get points and stars, instead of looking at the route, but interested of course to put realistic ones in scenarios.

I’ve watched a few videos on scenario creation and it would appear that when you add route stops, a time is automatically added, I guess based on in game calculations of distance and speeds.

I wonder if some authors incorporate figures from the timetable websites and that’s why we get some unrealistic times, because the route in the sim isn’t quite identical to the real world (less modern track maybe), or modern times are of course for modern trains, which older ones would struggle with.

7. SJA

SJA Active Member

I always slightly modify my timings if I think it would lead to what a real-life driver would consider unsafe practice, where you need to use overly harsh braking or go straight into the highest power notch from standstill and cause issues in crowded trains or for those challenged by mobility issues.

Sometimes it works the other way and timings taken off Realtimetrains (or wherever) feel extremely doable and slack, even at 75%. Acceleration and braking physics do factor into this on a loco or unit by loco or unit basis. No simulator is perfect :)

I know that these days there is a demand for timetable accuracy and surrounding traffic accuracy in scenarios. But when configuring your own you can base it solely around the performance of the stock and knowledge of the route, whichever route that may be.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It would depend on the type of train being driven. The open to half then full works for a MU but not a loco hauled train.
    If you travel on some suburban routes the drives use notch 4 to start and then to full power as the way to keep time.
    Drivers are taught not to use full braking - if they have got it wrong there is nothing left.

9. inversnecky

Yes, generally I find I can drive safely, and try to apply real driving techniques - not overly harsh acceleration or braking - or I can try to meet the timetable in the game.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you cannot keep to the timetable then it needs easing.

11. SJA

SJA Active Member

I've always heard that from drivers too. Leave something in reserve re braking.

Down the years I have noticed a shift to slightly more conservative acceleration on DMUs on some routes. I'm not sure if that means they are expected to be that extra 1-2mph closer to line speed to make up for it.

12. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

There's been a big emphasis on smooth control when pulling away for passenger comfort in recent years.
    On 700s we aren't suppose to take more then 40% power until over 5mph and when we stop they want us to use less then 35-40% at the point where we actually stop.
    The timetable is a guide and driving safely always overrules it. If you're late you're late.

• Like Like x 1