Boardgames Boardgame Recommendations!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Benjamin, Jan 25, 2023.

1. DTG Benjamin

DTG Benjamin Staff Member

Hey everyone!

So this may come as a surprise but I actually hadn't heard of CATAN before finding out we were developing it, I've lived a very sheltered life when it comes to boardgames it seems and have played all the usual, family suspects. Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Frustration, Pictionary... you get the idea. Basic.

More recently my wife and I ventured into "create your own story" boardgames like Escape the Dark Castle and House of Danger both of which we enjoyed but its time to step it up a gear.

What am I missing out on? Tell me!

2. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

You know I recently played this video game called For the King (I play it on ps4 but it's steam as well as switch) and it's like a hex board deal with randomized tiles. You and a couple of friends (or just you controlling 3 characters) go around and can collect cards for equipment and such, battle monsters, drive back the scourge. I very much see like some similarities between how For the King's board sprouts living tiles and the little preview of your Catan board coming to life.

Edit: and of course I'm super stoked for Catan to come out. I think it's great since I'm a person who loves board games but my social energy is limited being autistic. Sometimes it's nice to have a computer to just play the game by myself (or online but with like text only communication)

3. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

Oh and of course since a lot of us on this forum will be from your train sim games I feel Ticket to Ride is an obvious board game to look into playing. It's a board game and trains. 'Nuff said.

4. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Some time ago I purchased Harry Potter Cluedo. I thought the children would enjoy it because it was HP and the essential element of Cluedo being logical deduction it would be a sort of educational stimulus for them.

However, it seems more complicated than standard Cluedo with two dice - one for movement and the other for actions. It would(!) probably require a playthrough without the children to understand how everything works? It's possibly a good game but it's (perceived?) complexities mean that it's not be used.

I think if DTG could find board games which might require 5-10 minutes setup time and possibly have somewhat complex rules that possibly result in a thoughtful and simulating playstyle that yields varying conclusions that could be a good implementation on an electronic version?

5. DTG Benjamin

You know what, i picked up Ticket to Ride from a little market a few weeks back but I havent given it a go yet!

6. DTG Benjamin

Sounds like CATAN? :love:

7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Super Cluedo was always a favourite of mine - it levelled up the basic Cluedo game to a more involved challenge.

Second vote for Ticket to Ride btw too, only played it on Steam thus far but it's fun :)

8. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

And today I've learned that our Clue is Cluedo in England, and furthermore that the latter is the original.

• Like Like x 1
  9. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

I've recently read about a fantasy card game (which was developed in my home county). I can't personally vouch for it, but it seems to have an interesting concept with seasons and ongoing release of new cards - which should provide a stimulus for varied content and playstyle?

https://www.achroma.cards/what-is-achroma

10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

My regular boardgame group rotate frequently between Caverna, a fun little game about raising families of dwarves, mining, farming, and dungeoneering. Chaos in the Old World, a now discontinued classic from Fantasy Flight when they had the Warhammer rights, which I ended up dropping over £100 on a second hand copy of the expansion for which only got a single print run, and consider it worth every penny, where you compete as the chaos gods to ravage the world. Spirit Island, one of the most fun "reverse catan" games ever, and frankly one of the most fun games ever, where you cooperate as spirits of an island to drive off european settlers before they can blight the land. and occasionally Smallworld, where you compete as various supernatural peoples to conquer the board, and Lords of Waterdeep, a D&D themed worker placement game about controlling a city-state.

I am also partial to a game of Battlestar Galactica, possibly the finest hidden identity game there is. I'd love to see FFG adapt it to an official licensed Westworld game. the randomisation of who is a Cylon at the start and the emergent asymmetric gameplay as Cylons are exposed is fun.

11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Game Of London & Great Train Game Of Britain are some of my favourite board games, and would tie in well with your train sims.

The basics of both games are the same, you have a train map of London Underground or UK and are randomly given 6 point of interest cards and you have to visit each station on the map. You also get 3 closed station markers to block others access and every time you change trains you have to pick up a chance card which either helps/hinders you or allows you to ruin another players plans.

The amount of times Ive been sent to Kensall Green and had to miss 3 turns is unreal.

No reason why other cities subways couldnt get a version as well, although not sure if any others exist.

12. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Mornington Crescent!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the rulebook.