Tswm: Train Sim World Mobile

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Asheix, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Asheix

Asheix Active Member

In 2023, phones are more than capable of playing games that originally came out on a PC or console years prior, and they are able to achieve a high frame rate with ultra graphics and even RTX on some devices. Games for phones are way beyond the likes of Candy Crush and other simple games from yesteryear. I know what you are thinking, and yes there are train simulator games for mobile already like HmmSim, but I wonder what DTG would be able to create if they had the resources to do it?

I do also know we do not all have the latest and greatest from the likes of Apple, Google, or Xiaomi, and there would need to be consideration of creating a game that can work on the more budget end phone, midrange, and flagship devices. So the concept of a mobile game will need to be universal in that aspect than just catering for the top tier. Given the power of these phones, I imagine quite a few of them could even run Train Simulator Classic given the chance.

Concept #1: Guard mode.

I have seen a lot of suggestions lately on the TSW Forum for a guard mode on TSW 3, but how about a dedicated game for it on a mobile device? For example, we can use Brighton - Seaford as a route as it is shorter you might not want to play full-length East Coastway on a phone for data or battery reasons. In a guard mode, you are tasked with the responsibilities of the safety of the passengers and making sure the doors are clear before departure and signalling to the driver that the train is ready to leave, checking and selling tickets, and resolving any issues that could arise.

Concept #2: Driving routes

I do not see London Commuter or SEHS being included in this as the game will be huge and not everyone has a phone with 256GB of storage in it, but it could be a good way for DTG to make a game in a different direction like using heritage railways like the Bluebell Railway in Kent, or generally shorter routes that wouldn’t take too long like Lewes to Brighton and Seaford as examples. They are shorter and something that can be played over and over.

Concept #3: Mini Metro Style

One of my favourite games to play on my phone is Mini Metro as it is fun and also simple in this design. DTG could make a similar idea that sees the TSW favourites such as SEHS in a mobile game where you have the job of managing the line like a controller. Roles would include making sure stations are not overcrowded like you see in Mini Metro or to avoid the lawsuit from that developer, Making sure that trains are not running late and remain to schedule.

I know these concepts are not fully fledged, but I hope they can be used to inspire or create discussion on the possibility of a Train Sim World Mobile game in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Singalling Sim world Mobile is what I think would work.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Simming riding a commuter train to work while riding a commuter train to work....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Shunting in the sim on your handheld while your food is warming up on the hotplate in the cab of your shunter.

• Like Like x 3
  5. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

Sorry mate but I doubt tsw will ever go to mobile. As mobile phones don't process large games well and it would be annoying to get a new phone every new route due to it not working with the route also phones have a tiny screen so it will be difficult to see the route.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Maybe a tsc mobiles style of game: a few routes and tasks with tsw like ui and tasks but tsc graphics?

7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Could try out PS remote play app.
    I tried it on TSW once… it was not easy with the tiny controls.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

DTG have got enough to be getting on with developing the game for the correct devices it should be played on without trying to squeeze another version into an unsuitable device. There are many other things that can be played on a phone, like that ring your mum game where you ring your mum and talk to her.

• Like Like x 2
  9. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy TSW on my 65'' TV. Playing on mobile is not for me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’ve played in on my phone using XBox Cloud gaming. It worked really well, except that any text was too small to read. Don’t think I would pay for a mobile version though. The novelty wore off really quickly.

11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

What would be the point? A train simulator is a genre that will have you seated for hours in one session. You wouldn't want to do that with a phone. You are also supposed to look out for things while riding a train, which would be difficult on such a small screen.

So even if they somehow managed it to run on a handheld phone, it would not make sense gameplay wise. Sorry, but in my opinion it's a silly idea. Proper games don't belong on phones.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Phones are powerful enough, but I suspect the User Experience isn't going to be great. Best you'd get is something very simplified, because that's all you can reasonably do with the available controls unless you fill the screen with buttons.

13. Princess Entrapta

Pretty sure when it comes to playing it on portable devices, the best thing is to stick to the ones we already have that can run PC titles and have physical controls. My Ayaneo handheld with its Ryzen 7 5800U can basically go head to head on performance with the likes of the Series S, but without the memory issues. It's definitely bigger than a phone though, in order to get that performance. The cooling alone beefs it up a bit, 22mm is thicker than any phone from the last decade.

14. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

That probably won't work until like 2050 much like my thread Train Sim Word 3 For Nintendo Switch. If a switch couldn't handle then there's no way on this planet that'll work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect TSW to be come mobile. I would expect TSW would stay on PC and consoles for the time being

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

I'm sorry, but phones are not "more than capable" of running anything like TSW or anything in its league. If I unplug my beefy laptop, which plugged in can hold 140fps in most places, my framerate will drop to 80 max with occasional drops to 20-30, and die in 10 minutes. Now imagine how much worse it'll be for a Qualcomm phone with integrated graphics than an i9 laptop with a 3070 Ti. Furthermore, while somewhat poor, at least laptops have an active cooling system. There's just no way it could work, no matter how you slice it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

If dovetail wanted to make a TSW mobile version, they have phones that are capable of that it depends which phone people get I don't know

18. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

Name one. I don't believe it until I see it.

19. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

20. Princess Entrapta

As stated previously. My state of the art Ayaneo 2 gaming handheld is basically a match for the Series S when running in its high power 33w mode that gives it a battery life of about 90 minutes. That's a dedicated gaming system that cost the best part of a grand. Bigger than a phone by a considerable degree, with actual active cooling.

No phone is going to come CLOSE.

Anything you built from the ground up to run on one wouldn't be TSW3.
    You'd definitely be looking at something more akin to some kind of signalling game, or the like.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023