Edinburgh To Glasgow Enhancement Pack

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by londonmidland, Jan 26, 2023.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Glad to see I have made it an easy choice as to which version you will purchase, haha. It’s very satisfying seeing the before and after comparisons after putting in the time and effort. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. londonmidland

Whilst this is true, I only spend a couple of hours a day on it. Also remember I have no access to the editor, which means I have to do everything manually. This includes EVERY SINGLE station light.

I’m not complaining of course, I’m just saying there could be a few improvements here and there. Especially on things which are relatively quick and easy to fix.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 7
  3. paul-campbell1

paul-campbell1 New Member

do they use announcements like the next station is Glasgow queen street where this service terminates if so are you aiming to including something like that

4. londonmidland

Unfortunately this route has ZERO station announcements, so I won’t be able to add or replace them I’m afraid.

5. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

C’mon now. This route has LOADS of station announcements…it’s just that they incorrectly play on the train rather than in the stations :cool:

‘Fast Train Approaching…’

• Like Like x 2
  6. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

Utterly Outstanding!!!
    DTG and Rivet should be ashamed of themselves for not producing these results from the off?
    Professional games producers should not be making these schoolboy errors, especially when they're asking people to pay for their products!
    Come on DTG give this guy a job. It's in your best interest to. The dev's can then spend their time ironing out the many bugs!

• Like Like x 2
  7. elric#1386

That's probably for warning passengers when there is a train approaching at speed on your track? lol!

8. londonmidland

I would happily take on this position of ‘an enhancement role’ whilst the developers can focus on more of the ‘important things’.

My inbox is always open..

• Like Like x 8
  9. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

really does feel like with every route we make one step forward, 2 steps back

• Like Like x 1
  10. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

Evening all, a bit of an update.

So as it turns out my reskinned 385 with corrected branding ended up having a few issues, mainly a bit of texture warping at the front.

So to completely fix that I've created some custom meshes meaning that now the branding should appear completely smooth and faultless on the DMCLs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Secondly I've slightly rescaled the numbering on the fronts of all three driving units hopefully they should look slightly less bulky.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i Know right, its crazy how modder are able to fix these problem, but not the real team that created this route, why is it alway unfinished product for the community. They use the excuse over and over again. Its ashamed. :|:|:|:(:(:(:(:(:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  12. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Take your time SprattyHeath No need to rush, whenever your ready. ;);):cool::D

13. elric#1386

A quick change of subject, as I have just got to ask.

Does this mean that cyclists have to put their bikes in or take them through the drivers cab?

upload_2023-1-30_17-4-9.png

14. SprattyHeath

I believe there's a section in that particular unit which allows for bikes to be placed, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  15. olly.smail

basically if it does not have a bike on the front, it’s the coach for wheelchairs/buggy’s and if it does have the bike on the front it’s specifically space for bikes in that carriage. like the 395, the small fins at the front are yellow if it’s the disabled coach and if they’re blue it’s the normal end coach

• Like Like x 1
  16. elric#1386

Thank you for the reply. That explains it.
    We can now get back on topic

• Like Like x 1
  17. olly.smail

are you able to change the interior door buttons so that the top one is the open button and the bottom is the close one? as right now in game they’re both open buttons for whatever reason

Attached Files:

18. SprattyHeath

Sure thing, I'll get to fixing that as soon as I can
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. olly.smail

is there any chance you’re able to edit the trams? if not don’t worry, but adding the logos to them would add that little addition of immersion to the route 3D828DF8-8569-440A-A629-3E4BAD1C701C.png 4C8AE488-8FE5-4DFC-BF0D-634BFF5C4208.jpeg

20. SprattyHeath

I haven't looked into the trams yet, I will do so later on.

• Like Like x 2
  21. olly.smail

okay, if that is possible then aswell as the trams themselves, the pink parts of the tram stops have the logo on too, so having them would also be cool

22. elric#1386

SprattyHeath you and londonmidland need to get yourselves a logo and company name?
    Something like 'The TrainSim Repair Shop', or 'The TrainSim Service Centre'

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It might be worth making two separate mod packs. One with the branding changes and one without. DTG will never do the branding changes, eg signage or shops, they don't have those licences. They also wouldn't use the redone livery because Scotrail would have approved the livery used in game. However there is still plenty of stuff being fixed here that isn't limited by those restrictions.

So if you make a modpack which doesn't infringe on any licencing issues, maybe we can talk DTG into allowing it on the creation centre or adopting it as an official patch so people on any platform can use it.

• Like Like x 5
  24. SprattyHeath

What licensing issues? We've included branded stuff before and not one company has ever come up to us about use of their logos in our modpacks

Nobody is going to be wasting time doing that and it will make zero difference since pretty much over 90% of the time they do not care

• Like Like x 2
  25. londonmidland

Sorry, that isn’t happening. Everything shown here will be included in the mod.

If DTG and/or any other party would like to request any fixes or changes, then they are free to contact me via private message. Though I’m not making another pack which leaves out half of the included changes, as that would be entirely pointless.

• Like Like x 6
  26. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

No I'm not a console user. Licencing issues are well discussed and you know very well what they are. I am talking about making these mods officially available for all, not dropping a pak file into your TSW directory. Don't you want a larger audience? You are going to get at most 1/3 of the playerbase using this.

LM's skybox was formally adopted and some of these changes, especially the emissable material deserve to be too. However DTG can't use the Network Rail signs, the WH Smith or Costa Coffee signs. They also can't support the Lothian sign on the trams or your revised livery, otherwise it would have shipped like that.

It is like the IOM v2, it had a lookalikey livery. I'm sure the actual livery was available immediately, but it won't ever be formally supported by DTG unless they get the agreement of the licencee.

27. londonmidland

Mr JMB As I said, if DTG and another other party want to make use of any of the lighting or signal visual fixes, then they are free to contact me.

However for the purpose of this mod, it is staying exactly as it is.

28. elric#1386

Companies love their brands being used, as it's free advertising for them.
    What companies are against is other companies producing rip-off goods and services using their brands to promote sales to make money. If DTG or anyone else was to start making and selling coffee and selling it as Costa or Starbucks they will pounce. This is why DTG have to get permission to use their branded loco's, as they are being used to make money. It's the same if DTG was to make a Costa coffee shop sim they would then need permission to do it if they want to use a brand.
    How you are doing it doesn't make a impact on raising sales on the game, because the brands used are not a key part.

29. SprattyHeath

What's the point then, if DTG won't officially implement mods because of the said licensing issues as you mentioned then why should I create an optional mod that doesn't include any real logos whatsoever, what benefit will that give?

The main reason why PC modding exists (and I'm not saying this to insult console users) is because us as freeware content creators can do whatever we want and do not have this barrier of having to deal with any potential licensing issues that may arise when uploading mods to the TSC site. As much as I don't want to gloat about this it's the truth, look at what Armstrong Powerhouse does to get around that or the hundreds of branding patches done for Train Sim Classic content. It's the same story with TSW and it will more than likely be the same story if ever another next gen Train Simulator ever comes out.

As much as I would absolutely love to see a bigger playerbase using our content I know for a fact that this will almost certainly never happen, not soon, not ever. It's as simple as that and I know it's a tough pill to swallow.

Welcome to the complicated world of licensing... And I for one am glad I'm not working as a commercial developer at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  30. JetWash

Off topic, but go have a look at MSFS where these issues don’t exist or if they do, they don’t (if that makes sense). Nor do they appear to exist in TSC (aforementioned branding patches used widely by many different developers).

These massive licensing barriers seem to be peculiar to TSW. Maybe TSW is playing by the book and doing it right, or maybe DTG’s Legal team are playing exceptionally safe, but the undeniable truth is that there is long-standing precedent there with many many other developers. Brands can't let it ride in one title but not in another, particularly when they’re by the same developer. Any lawyer worth their salt would surely squash that in minutes.

I could be miles off, but I suspect Steam etc are the real root of the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah. Personally I think DTG is playing it unreasonably safe.

Well, to some extent, I do understand it - after all, it would be quite bad if any of the railroad companies got "angered" and they would revoke their licences to TSW.

But I can't help thinking about how other games are completely fine with using real life branding without licences. Best example that comes to mind is Transport Fever. While the game does not feature real brandings in the vanilla game, there are countless branded mods on their Steam Workshop and their social media accounts constantly share screenshots of modded gameplay with real branded trains, be it american, european or asian stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  32. elric#1386

More likely the reason is that TSW is just a test bed, and and a way to make a quick buck. They are just simply using it to see how well they can produce a loco, and how well they can replicate the physics of it (Admittedly they do a cracking job with the physics), Hence the amount of in game bugs and lack of fixes, improper lighting and the lack of real world posters and signs?
    Maybe this is why they produce a new route with a single train. The route is only needed to show off their advancements on what they can now achieve? SoS was a good example of this. It failed to do what they wanted it to do, so it got shoved to the back of the cupboard?
    End of the day if this is the case, there is no need to add real world posters and signs as it's easier and quicker to make everything genetic.

• Like Like x 1
  33. elric#1386

That's the Joy of gaming on a PC

34. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Considering this isn't his full time job and yet he has the time and ability to do all of this and his current life obligations in less than a week since release, I agree with you that Dovetail and Rivet have got some explaining to do.

• Like Like x 5
  35. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

The difference for the TF2 devs though is that they're not reliant on goodwill and a working relationship with brands for their vanilla game in the same way that DTG is, so it's not really a fair comparison. I can see why DTG are super careful about licences - they wouldn't have much of a game without them, given the quantity of current-day operation included.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

And the devs have full access to Unreal Engine editor to change stuff on the fly! Most (if not all) modders have to use 3rd party tools and hacks to fix stuff. The problem with others fixing their mess is that it doesn't help to make a great release instead of a 'meh, it's okay'.

Anyway, londonmidland did a amazing job again. btw, you might want to enable (if you didn't already) the castshadows in the stations, I think most are disabled as far I've seen in the assets.

Screenshot1.jpg Screenshot2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

:o

Different as night and day

38. londonmidland

Thanks :) As far as cast shadows are concerned, these are disabled for performance reasons.

I’ve tried enabling them in the past but they cause a big performance drop. Particularly in areas where there are a lot of light sources.

• Like Like x 1
  39. londonmidland

Tell me about it! On to Edinburgh Waverley next to see what can be done with that.

40. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

I didn't notice a performance drop on Waverley, but that was with the (poor) stock lighting. If you release your mod i'll check if the performance is a lot worse with them enabled and let you know.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. SprattyHeath

Quick update on the 385 PTS

I FINALLY managed to get the Gaelic Logos to show properly without textures overlapping, so Bravo2six you finally got what you requested :)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

<3 <3
    Thank you! That looks infinitely better!

• Like Like x 1
  43. londonmidland

Cygnific Is there a console command I can use to test these shadows on the go by the way?

44. londonmidland

Morning guys.

I’ve completed my biggest modding challenge of Train Sim World so far - fixing all of Edinburgh Waverley’s lights. A whole 138 individual lights!

Each light has to be edited one-by-one and has to be assigned a colour temperature, light spread radius and intensity of the light itself.

The lighting is a lot more consistent now and there should be a lot less dark patches/unlit areas.

The pictures below show a comparison between stock/default (top) and my edited version (bottom)

Despite this mammoth task, I was able to complete it within an hour.

I hope you guys find the results worth it

966DA0C3-825E-4C55-8E90-D832B4166FFE.jpeg 1538D35E-3D65-487B-AE4F-D4068C60898D.jpeg C6EFB6B1-B52C-4568-BDDA-277E4C3B505F.jpeg FA6E052C-DCF1-49B9-8265-88B14692CCCB.jpeg BE26379C-B809-4FC0-A6A6-58D1ABF8889B.jpeg

• Like Like x 28
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

What is going on Internallly.../

that's awesome

• Like Like x 2
  46. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

I refunded the route but the enhancement Pack looks very good. If there will be a sound mod for the train itself one day maybe I will go back and give the route another try. It s just sad that all the things that make the route look so good are coming from the community and not from the producer, who earns the money.

• Like Like x 9
  47. JetWash

With every post on here I’m equally impressed with what you’ve done, without tools and in virtually no time at all, as I am utterly disgusted at the contempt with which DTG appear to hold their customers. I find it almost impossible to draw any other conclusion.

DTG Matt, any comment? I know Rivet are a separate entity, but DTG are responsible for publishing this. This isn’t just a Rivet thing, the before shots look like every DTG route released for a long time. People you’re employing are producing stuff that is well below par. The lighting example above is not something that would generate more work, it’s just doing it right in the first place is it not? This shoddy level of production needs consigning to the past. £30 a go for this is beyond a joke.

londonmidland, Genuinely, I’d forget trying to work for DTG, I honestly don’t think they’d be a good fit for you. After the initial buzz wore off I suspect you’d quickly become unhappy, and life is too short to be unhappy at work. There has to be good people at DTG, but something is clearly hampering what they do. We can only speculate as to what, but I’d question the wisdom of getting into that environment when you’re clearly of an entirely different mindset. Have you approached ATS or Just Trains? I’m sure your experience with the game, attention to detail and willingness to make things better could be of real use to them. Good luck either way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. olly.smail

this looks 100 times better, your work really is amazing, now we just need rivet to place those extra lights at the ends of my he platforms

• Like Like x 1
  49. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this enhancement pack even more than I was looking forward to the original Rivet release!

• Like Like x 2
  50. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Wow, just WOW!

Where do I sign the petition that brings these mods into the official build? I´m sure console users will be delighted. What was it ...... ~66%?

• Like Like x 6