Train Sim World 3 Ecml North: Edinburgh-newcastle (set In East Coast Era)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TrainGeek08, Jan 30, 2023.

1. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, TrainGeek08 here, and today I am suggesting the East Coast Mainline North for TSW3 as I think the player base would like this route, and the traction variety along the route

Stock included in base route:
    [​IMG]

The British Rail Class 91 'Electra' locomotive in East Coast livery (above) with the Mk4 DVT at the other end in the same livery (below)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the British Rail Class 380 'Desiro' EMU

Note: CrossCountry stock won't feature due to XC's license "going off into thin air"

Training (In Training Center):
    Class 91 Introduction
    Mk4 DVT Introduction
    Class 380 Introduction

Scenarios:
    Berwick Dessy: (Difficulty - 4)
    A 380 has broken down at North Berwick, drive a replacement 380 to pick it up whilst weaving around ECML traffic

Van to Newcastle: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a Mk4 DVT from Edinburgh to Newcastle on a semi-express run, only stopping at Berwick-upon-Tweed

91 needs Heaton: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive a 91 ECS from Newcastle back to Heaton TRSMD after a hard days' work on the ECML

Berwick to Ayr: (Difficulty - 3)
    Drive a 380 from North Berwick to Edinburgh during a terrible thunderstorm where another driver is awaiting to take the train forwards... or are they?

Craigentinny82: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive a Mk4 DVT from Edinburgh to Craigentinny TMD for midday storage before heading back out for the evening peak

Timetable:
    2013 Working Timetable

Potential DLC, Layers and Stations on Pages 2-4...

• Like Like x 9
  2. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

The class 91 is desperately needed in TSW

• Like Like x 7
  3. TrainGeek08

Page 2:
    Potential DLC:
    (I can't think of any, maybe someone can help below with training and scenarios too ;))

Layers:
    [​IMG]

The British Rail Class 43 'HST' (GWE) in a) the above East Coast livery and b) with AP sounds fitted (MTU one) for substitution on 91/ Mk4 DVT-hauled services

[​IMG]

The British Rail Class 66 'Shed' from SEHS in Freightliner livery (oh I'm getting sick and tired of this appearing all the time :D) for cement services to/from Oxwellmains Cement Terminal near Dunbar

Stations:
    [​IMG]

Edinburgh Waverley railway station (also known simply as Waverley; Scottish Gaelic: Waverley Dhùn Èideann) is the principal railway station serving Edinburgh, Scotland. It is the second busiest station in Scotland, after Glasgow Central. It is the northern terminus of the East Coast Main Line, 393 miles 13 chains (393.16 miles; 632.7 kilometres) from London King's Cross, although some trains operated by London North Eastern Railway continue to other Scottish destinations beyond Edinburgh.

Musselburgh:
    [​IMG]

Musselburgh railway station is a railway station serving the town of Musselburgh, East Lothian near Edinburgh in Scotland. It was opened by British Rail in 1988 and is located on the East Coast Main Line, 5+1⁄4 miles (8.4 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley, and is served by the North Berwick Line. It is located near the recently built campus of the Queen Margaret University.

Wallyford:
    [​IMG]

Wallyford railway station is a railway station serving the town of Wallyford, East Lothian near Musselburgh in Scotland. It is located on the East Coast Main Line, 7+1⁄2 miles (12.1 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley. It was opened by Railtrack in 1994 and is served by trains on the North Berwick Line.

Prestonpans:
    [​IMG]

Prestonpans railway station is a railway station serving the town of Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland. It is located on the North Berwick Line, 9.75 miles (15.69 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley. It serves the town of Cockenzie and Port Seton, 1.37 miles (2.20 km) away.

Longniddry:
    [​IMG]

Longniddry railway station is located at the southeast corner of the village of Longniddry, East Lothian, Scotland. The station is on the East Coast Main Line, 13+1⁄4 miles (21.3 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley, and is served by stopping passenger trains on the North Berwick Line.

Drem:
    [​IMG]

Drem railway station serves the village of Drem in East Lothian, 5 miles (8 km) from the seaside town of North Berwick in Scotland. It is located on the East Coast Main Line (ECML) 18 miles (29 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley. Passenger services are provided on the ScotRail North Berwick Line, and the junction where the North Berwick branch diverges from the ECML is a short distance to the east of the station.

North Berwick:
    [​IMG]

North Berwick railway station is a railway station serving the seaside town of North Berwick in East Lothian, Scotland. It is the terminus of the Edinburgh to North Berwick Line, 22+1⁄4 miles (35.8 km) east of Edinburgh Waverley.

Dunbar-Morpeth on Page 3...

• Like Like x 2
  4. TrainGeek08

Page 3:

Dunbar:
    [​IMG]

Dunbar railway station serves the town of Dunbar in East Lothian, Scotland. It is located on the East Coast Main Line and is a two platform station. It is 29 miles 5 chains (46.8 km) from Edinburgh Waverley and 364.092 miles (585.950 km) from London King's Cross.

Berwick-upon-Tweed: (Reston DIDN'T EXIST when this route is set)
    [​IMG]

Berwick-upon-Tweed is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 67 miles (108 km) north-west of Newcastle, serves the border town of Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by London North Eastern Railway.

Chathill:
    [​IMG]

Chathill is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 46 miles 1 chain (46.0 mi; 74.0 km) north of Newcastle, serves the hamlet of Chathill, and surrounding coastal villages of Beadnell and Seahouses in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.

Alnmouth:
    [​IMG]

Alnmouth (also known as Alnmouth for Alnwick) is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 34 miles 69 chains (34.9 miles; 56.1 kilometres) north of Newcastle, serves the villages of Alnmouth and Lesbury and the neighbouring market town of Alnwick in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.

Acklington:
    [​IMG]

Acklington is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 28 miles 43 chains (28.5 mi; 45.9 km) north of Newcastle, serves the village of Acklington in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains. It is the currently the least-used station in Northumberland, with an estimated 66 passenger journeys made during 2020/21.

Widdrington:
    [​IMG]

Widdrington is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 23 miles 20 chains (23.2 mi; 37.4 km) north of Newcastle, serves the villages of Stobswood and Widdrington Station in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.

Pegswood:
    [​IMG]

Pegswood is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 18 miles 44 chains (18.6 mi; 29.9 km) north of Newcastle, serves the villages of Longhirst and Pegswood in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.

Morpeth:
    [​IMG]

Morpeth is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 16 miles 50 chains (16.6 mi; 26.8 km) north of Newcastle, serves the market town of Morpeth, Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.

Cramlington-Newcastle on Page 4...

5. TrainGeek08

Page 4:

Cramlington:
    [​IMG]

Cramlington is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station, situated 9 miles 74 chains (9.92 mi; 16.0 km) north of Newcastle, serves the town of Cramlington in Northumberland, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.

Manors:
    [​IMG]

Manors is a railway station on the East Coast Main Line, which runs between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The station serves the Quayside and Shieldfield areas of the city of Newcastle upon Tyne in Tyne and Wear, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains. The Metro station of the same name is not directly connected, and located a short walk away.

Newcastle:
    [​IMG]

Newcastle Central Station (also known simply as Newcastle and locally as Central Station) is a major railway station in Newcastle upon Tyne. It is located on the East Coast Main Line, around 268 miles (432 km) north of London King's Cross. It is the primary national rail station serving Newcastle upon Tyne, with local rail services provided by the Tyne and Wear Metro network to which the station is connected to by Central Station Metro station, situated beneath the national rail station.

That's it then, the ECML North ends at Newcastle, I hope you enjoyed this one, put your thoughts down below as always, I've been TrainGeek08 and I'll see you around, it's goodbye from me ;)

• Like Like x 5
  6. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

I’m all for this. I just watched a cab ride view on YouTube of this route. Very scenic. This would help Waverley become more alive.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

set it in modern day, so that the route can be merged to glasgow - Edb and you can drive inverness services as far as edinburgh park in one giant merger , and currently the route is at its most diverse

• Like Like x 2
  8. TrainGeek08

Yeah, cab ride videos along there are fantastic especially Don Coffey's one :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. TrainGeek08

Well, what's better, 91s and HSTs on the same route set 10 years earlier or Azumas and a EBG merge set in 2023, that's my argument,

Don't get me wrong, I love the Azumas but the 91s are as equally lovable but that's my opinion on the matter, obviously I respect everyone's opinions so you are okay to think that way, I wouldn't dispute that ;)

10. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

That’s the one !!.

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea but why not set this present day that way you can merge it with Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High assuming Waverly is the common origin point

• Like Like x 2
  12. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea mate. The ECML needs to be in TSW and I would take it in any era. The 91s are legends and I feel we need to see them before they totally go from our network. Although this wouldn't be my chosen section of the route it is unarguably so scenically stunning which with the wide window of the HST we will be able to see every inch of beauty on this route.

• Like Like x 3
  13. driverwoods#1787

You have a point there however in order for that to work both routes need to share a common origin otherwise you will have train simulator classic situations New York to Philadelphia cannot merge with North Jersey coastline cologne to Frankfurt and Cologne to Koblenz cannot merge with each other due to the different points of origin

• Like Like x 1
  14. TrainGeek08

I would love to but I would like the route suggested in 2013 and would like the 91s to feature on the route ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. TrainGeek08

The ECML is iconic, how have DTG missed it out for all this time, same can be said for the WCML too :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

it can still be set in the modern day as the class is still in service. Also if you're wondering about the class 800 azuma it could be dlc if set in modern day or it could make the route modern day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TrainGeek08

Not up to Edinburgh they ain't ;)

18. pessitheghost

they can be done, edb can be made the origin point, instead of newcastle

• Like Like x 1
  19. pessitheghost

It could work 2 ways, release the ecml (modern), add the 43 and 91 as like INTERCITY heritage/ECML in the east coast era so you can do it as some sort of heritage ecml/wcml thing

• Like Like x 1
  20. TrainGeek08

So like an expansion pack then ;)

21. xkhayd#5485

xkhayd#5485 New Member

I would really like to see Newcastle have a route on TSW as I live in Newcastle. see my profile the Union of South Africa visiting a few years ago. But Newcastle to Edinburgh is about 90 miles and that’s the problem too long. Also Newcastle to Carlisle is 50ish miles again too long. I’ve played the 70s Newcastle to Edinburgh on Train simulator classic but it is very basic and not much detail. Darlington, Durham, Newcastle Sunderland, Morpeth might be able to fit something route wise. But Newcastle is all about the bridges and passing over the Tyne in various ways would be something special with good lighting and changing weather.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TrainGeek08

Well SEHS is 90 miles (TSW3 edition) so I don't see any issue ;)

50 miles isn't long at all for TSW routes, many TSW routed are 40-50 miles or so so again I don't see any issues ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I would love this in tsw! Although I would prefer the York-Peterborough section this would be brilliant too, the scenery is beautiful near Berwick-upon-tyne, and the Intercity 225 is needed in tsw. I would love to spam the DVT horn going down the ecml. good suggestion TrainGeek08

• Like Like x 2
  24. pessitheghost

yeah basically, a York - Peterborough is better though(less stations) and even if we are lucky we can get leeds lines with it because currently 91s don’t go north of york, they do the hourly leeds/York Service. Or set it in a transitional period (2019 )

• Like Like x 2
  25. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

imo, the best ECML part is probably Doncaster-York and Leeds. You still get the 91s even in modern day along with the 800s. Also on the Leeds line there are also Class 331 stopping services from Leeds to Doncaster.

• Like Like x 3
  26. TrainGeek08

Thanks, the 91/Mk4 combo is needed in TSW :love:

• Like Like x 2
  27. driverwoods#1787

You have excellent point there since Matt himself said that TSW 3 still uses that TSC system of common origin points to merge routes. Here's is quote

• Like Like x 1
  28. pessitheghost

Thank you for clarifying it to me

• Like Like x 2
  29. driverwoods#1787

No problems then

• Like Like x 2
  30. matt#4801

Well by some but deep down we all know the ECML is more iconic! :)

• Like Like x 2
  31. pessitheghost

i love the ECML tbh, especially the west anglia lines to norfolk and the Northern Lights Express. really loved the hsts to aberdeen, used to go twice a year, but never the less still i love the azumas

• Like Like x 2
  32. matt#4801

Yes the 80xs have really improved the line from a passenger's, staff member's and local's point of view and I am going to be bold and say I prefer them and that's probably quite a shock coming from me!

• Like Like x 2
  33. pessitheghost

yep absolutely great trains, would love to see an accurate version on train sim world

• Like Like x 1
  34. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Instead of the Class 66 (or perhaps, in addition to it), this route should include a Class 70. For a more vintage (1960-70s) version of this route, we could get a Class 55 Deltic DLC and a Class 37.

• Like Like x 2
  35. TrainGeek08

The 70 would come in Colas livery then or would you prefer Freightliner ;)