PC Where To Stop At Merillon Avenue (dir. Jamaica)?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jonas07, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Jonas07

Jonas07 New Member

Hello everyone,

I drove the scenario "Suburban Sunset" with my 10 cars and miscalculated my stop at Merillon Avenue, so I came to a stop directly at the "12 MU" sign (at the end of the platform) instead at "10 MU". As I looked back I realized the train fitted perfectly fine. Why shold I stop at "10 MU" if the train wouldn´t completly meet the platform? What´s about real life?

Thanks for any answer!

2. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

I personally, just go to the end of the platform at the 12 car sign. I can't really tell whether or not this is an issue on Dovetail's or the real life LIRR's end, since my daily trains from Port Jefferson don't stop at any stations between Greenlawn and Jamaica.

(I'm a real commuter on the LIRR by the way, so you can trust me :P)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. DarthsnipeTM

DarthsnipeTM New Member

I live on Long Island and take the LIRR. I also am an aspiring Conductor that went for the pre-employment LIRR Signals and Definitions examination. On the LIRR, at certain stops, there will be short platforms and trains are usually directed to stop ahead or at the edge platform (depending on the MU signage). In real life, at some stations, the stop point for a 12 unit train is marked by a sign 2-4 cars ahead or behind the respective edges of the platform. Usually, the Conductor will make multiple announcements to the commuters before approaching an applicable station stating that "only the first/last # cars will make the platform" and passengers should make their way forward/backward to the appropriate cars to disembark from the train.

In Train Sim World, they didn't model this really well and it appears that they shortcut making those 12 MU signs by putting "8-12 MU" signs at the end of the platform. This is why at some stops in TSW:LIRR, you will see the rear 2-4 units don't make the platform and the doors still open. Realistically, the conductor is positioned at the edge cars that don't make the platform to operate the appropriate doors for safety and to ensure passengers don't "fall out."

Dovetail should've given more explanation or detail in the simulation by giving us documentation as to how many cars fit at each station stop...but we can't ask for everything.

4. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

I never thought of it that way. Thanks!
    Good luck with your examination!

5. Jsunflyguy

Jsunflyguy New Member

I'm just transition to Locomotive Engineer Trainee phase II, hope to see you on the road.

I would say that in most rail operations if a stop marker is missing (damaged, stolen, never installed...) you would go to the next highest one or the end of the platform if the highest car marker is missing, I go to the 12 personally (I don't care about losing points).