Tsw: Northern Trans-pennine Is Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Step into the 1980s with Northern Trans-Pennine: Manchester – Leeds, which is available now for Train Sim World on Windows PC.

READ MORE

• Like Like x 7
  2. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

when will consoles be releasef

3. Dash7Studios

Dash7Studios New Member

I can't believe the route was released without freight. Seems like a completely missed opportunity.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

their is 2 post services

5. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

They are working on a freight addon for that route, it was mentioned by DTG staff in a different thread. So in the future there will be freight on that route, but it will be in a loco addon pack for that route.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I only caught the last 20 mins of the Twitch broadcast
    When you try to find it you only have Matt P talking about the Editor
    No Twitch for the route

Peter

7. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

it was 19:00 eu time 18:00 uk time

8. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And if you read what I posted you would see I saw the last 20 mins of it so I know what time it was on

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No it not there - Click on the clip called Train Sim World: Northern Trans-Pennine and you get Matt P talking about the Editor
    WHICH IS WHAT I SAID

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  11. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

They are just wrongly titled.. its the last 2 streams.. the last one is editor, the one before that is the route.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How helpful of DTG
    Thank you Sintbert

13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

DTG clearly informed us that freight would be added later (hopefully soon!).

14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Where is the manual???????????????

15. Abellio

Abellio New Member

16. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Well, DTG, I just want to write this post to say good job. This route is amazing. The freight as a DLC will still bother me a bit as an obvious money grab, but this is such a quality route that I don't care all that much. The fears that this would be rushed thankfully proved untrue, the fears that service mode would be plain are relieved, and the trains themselves are amazing and filled with unprecedented detail! I mean, ADJUSTABLE SEATS! Come on now! The reworked class 47 was also completely unexpected, as, well locos don't get reworked like that very often. The physics seem fine, the sounds are great (side note- they were great on LIRR too). Also, speaking as a person with no previous Train Simulator experience driving a DMMU, the class 101 is probably my favorite to drive here just because of the challenge added by having to shift gears.

When RSN was released, it showed a new level of detail that we all hoped would be adopted as standard. LIRR expanded that detail in some respects, but neglected it in others. This left a lot of people worried that RSN wss just going to be a one-off burst of detail, and we would not see anything quite as good as it before. With this route, however, for me at least, you've done it. This route is just as good as RSN, even better in some regards.

Can't wait for the freight DLC- at this rate, I'll definitely go for it (at the very least when it's on sale).

Also, if it makes Adam feel any better, I've overshot that stop at Slaithewaite twice already.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Well, not only are there adjustable seats, but the character models have big hair and awful moustaches, which really seals the deal for me!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Manchester-Victoria

Manchester-Victoria New Member

What happened to Miles Platting signal box, and for that Phillips Park,Victoria West Junction & Irwell Bridge Sidings? OK the last two might be beyond "The Route" but they were clearly visible from the station and before the footbridge over to Exchange Station which is modeled.No road access to P12/13 for the Royal Mail which was a major feature of the platform.Lastly, since when did Manchester Victoria have a footbridge in the 80's? Access to and from P11,P12/13,P14/15 and P16 was via a subway. The bridge modeled was a parcels bridge and only accessible from goods lifts. I know passing from platform to platform in TSW is a thing in the first person, but via a footbridge, come on DTG.
    Otherwise the route LOOKS brilliant and the Class 45 & 101 certainly fit the bill

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Park Station, Baguely Fold, Droylsden, Ashton Moss North & OA&GB Signal Boxes.
    Greenfield, Diggle and Morley Signal Boxes face the wrong way,
    The track layout at Stalybridge is wrong -
    shows [2] when you go in to 1, [3] when you go in to 2 and the Eastbound Goods loop has been turned in to a Platform

And the countryside has buildings but no road traffic or people
    DTG have dumbed it down to fit on the consoles

At least I saw a video and saved a lot of money

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

I haven't been too excited about TSW until I saw this DLC release. I've watched reviews and gameplay videos from all other previous DLCs and this was the one that caught my attention the most. I might consider on purchasing TSW because of it.

In the meantime I have watched Alan Thomson's first look video and I agree on one thing: needs cab sway! Other than that, things look pretty well done. Keep it up!

• Like Like x 2
  21. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I think that LIRR is at same level of RSN and if compared with Rapid Transit (cause, in part, m7 is similar to Talent 2) I see a sensible jump forward in all the directions. In my opinion LIRR route it was the most complex (not easy to re-create) route we played until now. Other routes are all "straight" lines from point A to point B. And I suppose it was not too easy for DTG to develop the AI traffic without the risk to fall in a sort of domino effect that send all AI traffic in tilt (cause trains safety distances and dynamic red/stop signals). In term of quality of the main stations LIRR dlc touch a very high quality level: NY Penn, Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal are simply superbs.

Anyway, this last dlc (NTP) in the several videos I seen, looks like great. So I think that this is finally the right way to follow for the future of TSW. If they also release a freight services add-on with 2 new locomotives for this service and route I think we will have a new point of start (or a new stardard) about how to programming all new dlcs for this title.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  22. raildan

Yeah, LIRR is definitely better than a lot of people seem to think it is. The M7 itself is amazing, the sounds and physics seem great, the whole commuter rail tight schedule gameplay is great, and the detail on the route, while not as scenic and notable as RSN or NTP, is still pretty ok. You are right abot the stations- they are fairly nice. The service mode is what people complain about most of the time, but it isn't that bad- traffic levels are lower than in real life, but there is still enough AI and enough different variations on services. As for only including the M7, that's what mostly runs on the route here. the other passenger equipment doesn't stop at most of the stations here as they mainly serve farther out areas of Long Island. No freight is ok also because it isn't exactly a major part of the route.

I think the reason people don't like it isn't really a problem with the DLC itself, but more with the game as a whole- the lack of car and pedestrian traffic. This makes the routes seem a bit empty instead of busy, which contrasts with the bustling nature of this route in real life. DTG already said they're working on adding car traffic, and, while I don't see a lot of improvement happening on he pedestrian side for performance reasons, I'm sure we could get a small crowd of static models waiting around- that would help a lot, and they don't even have to move.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. 37114

37114 Active Member

Love it but I’m baffled by the door release. This is totally inaccurate. The driver wouldn’t release the doors on these trains. Train stops, passengers open the doors, get on and off, guard and or station staff ensures doors are closed, blow whistle and or wave right of way to driver. Off we go! It’s even more annoying with the 101. No mah, mah buzz from the guard. Come on DTG. It’s not like you’ve not done this before! Oh and please, please give us an option to turn off the objective complete audio!!!!! Ta.

• Like Like x 4
  24. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  25. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'd also like this as it is a bit 'arcade feeling' having to open and close the doors with the keyboard and having an overlay for it. Also why do we need to buzz to the guard when they don't buzz us first, what's the point?!

A few suggestions:

- Make the guard (open) and close the doors. The driver should certainly not be messing with the door controls if there is a guard on board*
    - Make an NPC sitting in the back of the train or in the guards compartment, so it looks like there's a guard on board.
    - The driver never buzzes back before the guard, as they are the ones who operate the doors and make sure it is safe to proceed.

*On certain services (Cross Country Voyagers) the driver is permitted to open the doors but CANNOT interfere with dispatch procedures (closing the doors).
    *Driver Only Operated (DOO) services mean that the driver fully controls the doors and makes sure it is safe to depart with no guard on board.

• Like Like x 2
  26. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

"The smallest of details make the biggest impact; finding yourself stuck on-board the Class 101 or the MK2s? That’s because the door handles are only on the outside, try opening the window first. Taken a seat in the Class 45 and feel like you’re a little too high up? You can adjust the height using a handle on the side.
    Every detail adds up to bring you the authentic and nostalgic Northern Trans-Pennine route for Train Sim World, which you can dive into today on Windows PC!" - https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...les/article/northern-trans-pennine-is-out-now

27. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

Now that's one of the main reasons why I haven't had still the urge to buy TSW. I want a real simulation feeling and not arcade.

You're all right about the door operations, I haven't thought about it. Nice suggestions given - hopefully DTG will hear and implement these realism features. :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

So whats the verdict- is it of a similar quality to other routes? Is it relatively bug free? No passengers on the line or rooftops etc? Sound quality ok? Im still hanging back before buying and theres quite an absence of feedback good or bad.. its exactly the sort of era i like but im not supporting shoddy build quality either so your feedback would be most welcome.

29. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

No or little rain on the windshields

30. raildan

- route quality is similar to RSN, some people say it feels rushed but honestly I have no idea where that's coming from. Plenty of neat details that give a very run-down atmosphere. There is small amounts of graffiti, there is trash spilled on station platforms, there are period-authentic clothes on AI, and the track is very nicely textured. The lighting seems a bit harsh for some reason, only complaint.
    - tutorials are buggy but not much else is- at least, not that I've noticed.
    - haven't seen any suicidal passengers yet
    - sounds are GREAT. They may not be Armstrong Powerhouse- level, but they are the best sounding trains in TSW.

In addition, the locos are surprisingly detailed. You can change the destination blind on the 101, the class 47 isn't just a repaint but a full overhaul with new sounds and everything, and the 45 has adjustable seats, train heating, and a working fire alarm test. The physics seem good, but I wouldn't really be able to tell.

Of course, I've only played some. I'm sure more bugs WILL show up- but so far, I'm not regretting my purchase at all.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  31. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Thanks Raildan. Yeah Ive been looking at various youtube footage. It does indeed look great and Im loving those little touches you describe. Im really leaning towards getting it now and I can see myself having quite a nice time with it. Thanks for the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  32. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

So far from what I've driven (one express and two stopping services), the route is top notch. RSN level of quality, the atmosphere is spot on, all three trains are very enjoyable and quite challenging to drive (guess who forgets to switch gears on class 101) and will take some time for me to operate properly.
    This route is definitely my kind of route and I can recommend it.

So far, the only bug I've encountered was in the tutorial where you start the class 45's engine, after holding down the button, the next objective wouldn't trigger. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing for me.

Credit given where credit is due, this is one of the best routes for me together with RSN. If any Train Sim developer reads this, please send my compliments to the team behind the route.

• Like Like x 6
  33. Hunslet.pirate

Hunslet.pirate New Member

I'm also loving this route. I've bought most of the DLCs so far but this is the first one where I've felt truly engaged. It's not perfect - I've noticed the odd route indicators at Stalybridge which don't correspond to platform numbers, and I've seen some wierd signals at Miles Platting (yellow/green main aspect with position lights showing proceed). Also as others have said the AI traffic seems light, and the lack of people and vehicles seems disturbing at times, at least at the bigger stations.
    But overall, its a great route, and fun to drive. Many thanks to 7orenz for the class 45 seat adjustment tip - I'll give that a go.

One thing I really wish we had (and this goes for other DLCs too) is a timetable. I'm working on compiling my own, but it's a time consuming process. I'll make it available when it's finished, of course - it may take a while though.

*edit* - I found a WIP timetable in another thread. That'll save me the effort lol

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  34. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Is it possible this was intentional, since freight trains and freight AI traffic will be sharing the route at a later date?

• Like Like x 1
  35. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The Class 33 seems to have wheelslip, and with the Pennine route being a later release, would I be right in assuming the 45, 47 and 101 have wheelslip too?

36. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

As i live in Leeds i cant wait for the to bring this DLC to the playstation, it looks fantastic as was the RSN dlc. i do wish they would bring out the riviera line out with its lovely scenery

37. Hunslet.pirate

Hunslet.pirate New Member

As far as the in-game timetable is concerned the AI traffic you pass might actually be accurate. It just seems odd pulling into Leeds and seeing all those empty tracks at Whitehall Jn. Even stationary trains just waiting at signals would make the place seem less sterile

• Like Like x 1
  38. raildan

Yes. I managed to get some wheelslip on the class 45. I'll have to try the other two locos later.

39. 37114

37114 Active Member

Works a treat! Thank you so, so much for sharing this. Maybe it would be worthwhile posting this in a separate thread so more people are aware?

40. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

A priori, it only works on Class 33 ..

41. raildan

DTG should probably add a volume slider for this in the settings.

42. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Just purchased and been having a little play around. Congratulations to the team at DTG- real step forwards. Very engaging choice of locomotion and the route is very nicely done. Theres a few tree trunks close to the track that are a little disconcerting, and the world could still really benefit from things like smoke coming out of house chimneys etc (and its just crying out for some nasally incomprehensible announcements in true BR style), but its definitely getting there. That key thing- immersion, so close but TS2018 still has the edge because of its audio mostly. Just my personal opinion but its definitely one to stay in the library!

43. 37114

37114 Active Member

It works on everything I've tried so far. TPE, GWR, RSN

44. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Wish they would announce console version, sat here watching youtube video of others playing it just to get an idea, i know it takes longer so sort for console users

• Like Like x 1
  45. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain :)

46. Dash7Studios

Dash7Studios New Member

Even if freight is added as a "later DLC", this is just an obvious grab for money by DTG. Seems like a complete joke to make the players pay for something that should've been included in the first place.

47. FileTrekker

FileTrekker Member

Depends how you define rushed. Okay, on the whole I am happy with the route and having fun, but there's so much more that could have been polished with a little dev time.

Manchester Victoria needs a lot of work, for example.

manvic.jpg
    The Victorian lounge is just missing, along with it's iconic glass dome, the concourse itself is just a barren wasteland that never, ever looked like this. The subway to the platforms is absent entirely and for some reason passengers are using the postal overbridge.

You can tell when a game is rushed when developers are forgetting to put clipping brushes in key areas;

In the case of the latter clipping issue, there's even one scenario where it basically encourages you to walk right through the buildings walls rather than walk around as a result.

I can't speak for the other major stations on the route, Stalybridge seems reasonable enough, but these are just a few examples, others are why does the Class 101 have an Orange CANT line at the front and not the sides, despite the fact it wouldn't have had one at all at the time? It's front windows are also disproportionate, infact looks based on the Lima 00 gauge model which has the same error.

So on the whole it's not terrible but there's some examples of lack of attention to detail.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Clipping isnt a positive feature, on the other hand its not minecraft. We are predominently driving trains.

• Like Like x 1
  49. FileTrekker

FileTrekker Member

I'd agree if I hand't have encountered it on a scenario quite easily. It's not like I was trying to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, personally id rather focus was on increased passenger numbers at Victoria and Leeds. Things like that.

• Like Like x 1