Train Sim World: Northern Trans-pennine | Out Now

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TrainSim-Martin, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Martin

TrainSim-Martin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The latest route for Train Sim World is finally here! The Northern Trans-Pennine route is set in the 1980s in an era of industrial decline. Tear across the hills of England in 3 different locomotives and resurrect a classic part of English rail history.

Pick it up today!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Looks good on the stream!!

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Yay... raining inside the station!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm impressed, but starting, running, and stopping these engines is complicated. One of them suggests consulting the manual for further information, but doesn't mention where it can be found. If anyone has discovered its covert location, please spill the beans.

By he way, as I've run the tutorials (over and over), I've really appreciated the presence of a voice that supplements the written captions. I don't know how authentic the voice is, but I'll believe it until told otherwise by someone whose opinion I can believe.

P.S.: yes, despite the fact that for now this is a passenger only DLC, I've bought it based on the promise of future freight.

5. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Guys,

Here's a rough wip Service Mode Timetable - still some things to tidy up on it but wanted to get this in your hands for the weekend.

As always, appreciate any feedback.

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The roof is leaky! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

Cheers Steve, I've not had chance to try this dlc out yet as being too busy with work, but will take note of the timetable before going collectible hunting.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

How many words is one picture worth? Certainly more than four!

10. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

How many bugs do you guys recon will be in it? 59? 72?

11. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

All of them.

12. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Reinstalling TSW to buy trans pennine railway. Looks good from YouTube and feedback. Nostalgic trip down memory lane here we come. My first purchase since gwe and wsr. :)

13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

No LIRR? :(

14. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

Is their no LIRR timetable? If so, I’m disappointed that NTP got it before LIRR did even though it came 2 weeks after....

15. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

there is a timetable for lirr here:

16. Mkdog45

here it is:

Attached Files:

17. Mkdog45

it was done by wagener

18. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

NTP timetable not working

19. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

I think this may be a bug in which case I will try to report it properly, but can you guys confirm I'm not going mad? In service mode, you should be able to spawn walking to a chosen location in advance of a timetabled arrival, wait for it to pull up, open the cab door hop in and then be prompted if you want to take control of the service. Right?

Using the timetable provided by Steve, I successfully did just that for a few select loco services, but for the fact that I could not get in the loco! I tried 2 services at Manchester Victoria, morning arrivals on platforms 15 & 16 (07:48 / 08:48), and also the 07:21 at Leeds on platform 6a. In all 3 cases when I opened the door it would not let me physically walk into the cab and there was no prompt "press E to climb" etc.

Anyone else noticed this or tried to similarly take control of a service having spawned on foot? I've successfully done this on other routes such as GWR and WSR.

Thanks

20. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Hi JT_29O5,

I have been able to successfully spawn in on Summer Cloudy and run all the services no problem.
    I did have trouble starting the class 45 but this is probably due to the fact that I am not 100% familiar with the start up procedure.
    But eventually got it moving. You could try toggling F1 and see if that brings back the "press E to climb" or toggle the marker keys Crtl 1 etc. Hope that helps.

Kman

21. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Can you explain exactly what is not working. I have been using the timetable with no problems. The passing times can vary but the arrival/departure times seem accurate from the services I have tried.

22. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Is it possible that you are only allowed to be a passenger and ride in the coaches, rather than be in the locomotive? Just a thought.......

23. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

Thanks KMAN. I was in summer cloudy too. I should have said it was also 45’s that pulled up in all 3 cases. I will give your suggestions a try later this evening and report back.

That’s certainly what it seems like ex_railwayman, but I’ve definitely been able to take over a service in the same fashion on other DLCs.

24. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

I've had no problem spawning on foot and then entering the cab, starting the engine, and driving away when given the right away. The key, I found, was that although the engine sounds as if it is running, it isn't. The starter key is off, the engine is off, and you must turn the key, place the reverser in the proper position for starting, and then start the engine.

I found that spawning 3 minutes ahead of the scheduled time in the timetable gave me plenty of time to walk to the platform, get in and start things up. For example, I walked to platform 16 at Manchester Victoria after spawning at 11:45 am for the 11:48 am 04B train to Leeds.

I find this method much more enjoyable than simply spawning in the loco as if I was materialized ala Captain Kirk. It feels like you are really assigned to a train, show up for work and then perform your duty.

Cheers,
    David

25. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Totally agree much better to spawn in a couple of minutes early and make your way over to the train. Then start it up.
    With the older Locos and DMU's more has to be done to get it moving.
    Not many depot services in the timetable. I decided to spawn into Newtown Heath Depot and play around. I pretended a 4 car class 101 had a failed 2 car unit. So uncoupled one unit moved it to another siding by powering up the uncoupled unit. Then moved over to the class 47 powered it up moved over to the other 2 car class unit and dragged it to the refueling section. You can pick up the refueling nozzle but the 101 does not have a removable fuel cap. I think that needs to be scripted in the Editor. Anyway I then moved some post office Mark 1's around. All this took about 45 minutes and was actually fun, You have to plan your movements carefully so you don't go over a ground signal or pass a main signal. Otherwise the session ends. While moving the 47 I smashed into the parked Mark 1 post office coaches a little too fast and the HUD speedometer went crazy. And sparks appeared around the class 47 wheels. Very impressive.
    You can do the same in red Bank carriage siding there a numerous coaches and a 45 and a 47 to move stuff around.
    Another thing I have started doing is riding in the class 101 guard compartment and pretending to check to make sure all passengers have boarded or departed. Then there is a bell in the guards compartment that you can click and pretend the driver hears it.
    And then away you go. Imagine having a guard mode where you collect tickets or answer timetable questions.
    NTP gives a lot of things to do. Finally you can jump out a 45 or 47 at speed and collect the track side collectables.

26. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

My problem seems to be with being able to take over already operational services that run into the platform, not with parked trains over on a siding etc. I spawn at the station 5 mins before the scheduled arrival, make my way over to the relevant platform and it pulls up. It won't let me in the cab. I've tried turning on objective markers and all other HUD options but it makes no difference. It lets me open the door, but the press E to climb aboard prompt just never appears. I jumped into GWR and tried the same tactic for a 166 scheduled to pull into Langley station. No problems with this one. Train pulled up on time, I opened the door, was prompted to press E to climb into the cab, pressed E to take the seat and the game then asks me if I want to take over the service. As it should be. So it's just me it's not working for in TP? I will have to log a bug report by the sounds of things.

27. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

Hello JT_2905,

I found that in some cases (the Class 45 comes to mind) getting the "E" prompt to climb in the cab is very tricky. You have to move your cursor *very* slowly to find it so that you don't just jump past it and then have to find the blasted thing again. Ditto for finding the "E" to sit down. But once you do you shouldn't have a problem. I found the Class 47 a bit easier to get into. Just keep trying. It's great fun to watch your train pull in, walk the length of it to get to the loco, and then climb in and start things up. (Remember, even if you hear the engine running you do have to start it up.) This, to me at least, feels like the real thing.

Cheers,
    David

28. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Hi Hello JT_2905,

Sounds like a definite bug to me. Though the E can be a bit tricky as mentioned but your problem sounds like a proper bug.
    Any work around? Are you able to save then click last played then enter the service?

29. TrainSim-Steve

Hi KMAN,

The Class 101 does have a removable fuel filler cap. Are you sure you weren't trying to use the oil filler caps which are on the underframe and aren't simulated in TSW?

20181218081518_1.jpg

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  30. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks JT_29O5,

Could you share the service numbers with me so I can get them checked out? For example, the 7:21 service you refer to is Service 03A.

Best, Steve

31. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Oops I was thanks for that!!!

32. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

Hi Steve. Thank you, I appreciate the direct response.

I just ran some more tests and I think I have got close to isolating the issue. It's something to do with spawning too many minutes ahead of the scheduled arrival time. I guess either the game isn't recognising the player's ability to take control if you've been in the map for more than xx minutes already, or it's somehow linked to the train having not actually arrived at the platform at spawn time.

Results of tests:-

03A Leeds 0721 platform 6a. I spawned at 0715 (as I had yesterday) and had to wait for the train to arrive at the platform. When it did all the prompts for the nearby interactive parts of the train appeared as I moved my cursor over them (open door; fuel cap; seat back; AWS Isolation switch etc) except for the E to climb up. I tried multiple times to make it appear, moving the cursor all around the door area and steps, trying very slowly and from different positions, but no joy.

I then reloaded the exact same conditions, except I spawned 5 mins later at 0720, so this time the train had already arrived and I had to make a mad dash across to the platform. This time the E prompt appeared and I could get on and take control. I changed nothing else at all other than the spawn time.

06A 0748 Platform 16 Man Vic. I ran the same kind of test with this eastbound departure - same outcome. When I spawned 8 mins ahead at 0740, same issue of no E to climb aboard prompt. I then reloaded with all the same conditions except a 5 minute later spawn time of 0745. This time the train had already arrived and when I got there it let me take control.

Short term solution seems to be make sure you spawn within 3 minutes of the scheduled time and it should work. I'm sure that is not what is intended though as if you're just generally exploring the environment for say 15 minutes then a train pulls in and you decide you want to take control, then presumably this same apparent bug will re-appear? Also as I said in an earlier comment, using the same sort of setup (spawning approx 8 mins pre arrival) works fine in GWR for taking on a service.

Hope this helps you guys focus in on the cause. I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Thanks, JT

33. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks JT,

That's an impressive amount of detail that is really really useful - it sounds like the AI is not releasing control when it arrives in the platform as it should do. I've booked this in to be looked into in greater detail.

Thank you so much for all the information provided and the help in tracing the cause.

Best, Steve

34. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

You're welcome Steve. Anything to help make this great DLC even better. The only other bug I have noticed that hasn't already been mentioned (I don't think) is a number of missing speed boards on the route. I like to drive without hud assists to make it as realistic as possible so the speed boards are really important. I can help identify where I think they are missing but it will take me a bit of time. Happy to do it if you think it's something that can be looked at and if the team are not already aware?
    Thanks, JT

35. TrainSim-Steve

Hi JT,

Thanks very much for the kind offer - we are aware of some speed limit errors via reports from Customer Support that have been booked in to be investigated but we've only a rough idea of where the errors are. Any further information you can provide would be most appreciated. When finding a limit you believe is an error, if you could capture a screenshot of the map at the problem area it would greatly assist us in tracing the exact section of track that's at fault.

Thanks again for all your help.

Best, Steve

36. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

I think I've found another bug related to taking over a service - in particular one headed by the Class 45 - when you spawn on foot. My comments below refer to service 08A from platform 15 at Manchester Victoria which is an express service that makes but one stop - Hudderrsfield - between ManVic and Leeds. The loco is invariably a Class 45. I've tried the below routine with other ManVic Class 45-led services and the results are the same.

When you enter the cab of this service, the engine appears to be running - you hear the engine burbling in the background and the Engine Stopped light is extinguished (as is the Fault light), however the Master Key is turned off. After you've boarded passengers and unlocked the brakes, the train begins to head off because of the slight downgrade but pulling the throttle to "on" does NOT cause the amps to rise: they stay on zero. Any further applying of throttle to this "off" throttle is, of course, useless. Eventually, after going under the overbridge, the slight downgrade turns to a slight upgrade, and the train coasts to a halt.

Now if instead when you sit down in the 45 you turn off the engine and then restart it normally, you can turn the throttle on when you've boarded and locked the doors. The ammeter shows a jump indicating power, and you can move the throttle past "on" to whatever notch you desire. Power is applied and the train moves off.

Shouldn't the master key be on when you take over the service? I don't mind starting the engine - in fact I actually prefer to have to start it - but it seems to me if that is the intended behaviour then shouldn't the Engine Stopped light be lit and the diesel engine be quiet?

Cheers,
    David

37. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Hi JT_29O5,
    I managed to repeat the same bug it seems that greater than 5 minutes spawning will result in no E prompt appearing.
    The work around is to save and reload and then you are able to take control.
    Good work
    KMan

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

Thanks for the feedback KMAN, always good to know i'm not an isolated case! Thanks also for the workaround solution for the meantime until DTG can roll out a patch.

39. TrainSim-Steve

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. The behaviour to turn the master key on is "by design" and replicates the same process all drivers should undertake when boarding the cab of a train - irrespective of whether it's operational or shut down.

With the specific service mentioned, 08A, I have been able to reproduce the issue you reported in that the service requires you to shut down the engine and restart it before it will take power. I have therefore booked this in to be investigated further.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  40. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

Hi Steve,

I see now what you mean: the engine is idling because it's just pulled in, but the Master Key is off disabling the reverser and throttle until the new man gets in to relieve the now off-duty driver. Makes perfect sense.

Thank you also for investigating this situation further. I have to say that with this route and the new diesel physics, I'm really enjoying TSW!!

Cheers,
    David

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

Hi Steve,

Upon experimentation, a further update: it is indeed possible to move this service off without restarting the engine. Here's what you have to do …
    1. Turn Master Key to on.
    2. Pull the train brake lever from Neutral/Shutdown to Full Service
    3. Push the reverser into the forward position
    4. Move throttle lever to On - note that the General Fault light comes on as the train pipe pressure is not fully charged
    5. Upon locking the doors and receiving notification of the right away, fully release the train brakes
    - note that the General Fault light goes off as the train pipe pressure is now fully charged
    6. Apply throttle to desired level and away you go!

The reason I couldn't move off previously was because I had the train brakes in Neutral/Shutdown - that's why the engine wouldn't rev upon applying power … it was idling but not getting any messages from the central nervous system! :cool:

Once I figured out that the only different thing I did when I restarted the engine was to move that train brake to the Full Service mode, then it became obvious to me that was where the error was being made.

TSW vindicated! :D

Cheers,
    David

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

So basically you didn't release the brake ;)

43. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

No, if you re-read my original post I indicated that the train was moving via gravity as it is on a slight downward slope. So I had to have released the brakes (should have indicated that above). What I did do was go directly from Neutral/Shutdown to fully released.
    Cheers,
    David