Update Frequency

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kurtosizm, Feb 7, 2023.

1. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

After taking a good 8-month long break from the game, I'm thinking about giving it another go. Has anything changed since they appointed the QA person? Do we get frequent updates? I went to the Announcements section, and it seems it died down again. I see there were a lot of announcements again, so probably updates and fixes are not a priority at the moment. Haven't bought any new DLC since then, I just want to know if things have improved since that Roadmap Stream when they promised us the world...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

Every month they release a update or multiple updates, the last update according to Steam was a month ago. Better is to just install the game and try it yourself, if you dont like it > Uninstall. Furthermore, I take most of what they promise with a big grain of salt.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Updates have definitely gotten better with updates for a newly released route coming really quickly that fixes a lot of issues. There are other things that are much bigger issues that would take longer

• Like Like x 3
  4. kurtosizm

I actually own TSW3, bought it on sale, and had a £10 coupon so it was very cheap on Epic. But the game feels as bad as TSW2 was, if not worse. Spawned in Freiberg (Dresden-Chemnitz route), the G6 doesn't have tail lights, the Dosto is still stuck on the buffer near the platform. And I only needed 10 minutes to notice these. Sounds like their buggy DLCs are still selling well, if they can get away with obvious bugs like these...

• Like Like x 1
  5. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

One of these posts is not like the others

• Like Like x 3
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Stuttering is still a problem. Recent routes have released with many issues and inconsistent quality. Fixes come but there are routes that still have outstanding issues for years. The QA person (if they even exist) clearly isn't doing their job.

They way I see it, there hasn't been any major changes

• Like Like x 1
  7. kurtosizm

I noticed the stuttering, which was present in TSW2 too. I upgraded my laptop since then, I've got one with an RTX 3080 card and 32GB RAM. Still stuttering, which is a bit ridiculous to be honest. I tend to believe it's not my rig, it's the game... :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's definitely the game. I don't have these stuttering issues on other games. I may play on a Xbox Series X, but it ain't no slouch

• Like Like x 1
  9. rennekton#1349

Look at how quickly updates came out immediately after these were released (bro, bcc). I think that's where dtg are improving

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. FredElliott

Your post wasn't the one I was referring to

11. rennekton#1349

Just wanted to point it out lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cygnific

Everybody can check the Steam update rate.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the stuttering. I hardly have any stutter. 1440p - Ultra + many extra .ini settings (shadows, AO, LOD distance) but... locked to 30fps.

13. FredElliott

Your post also wasn't the one I was referring to

14. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - see post]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Wow the hyperbole is strong in this thread!

16. FredElliott

Hardly. The three posts were roughly as follows:
    1. There have been patches roughly monthly
    2. There have been quick patches following release of DLC
    3. Patches aren't that frequent and fix only minor things

Three is objectively wrong and thus, not like the others

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2023
  17. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Please keep this "factionalism" out of your posts, folks. All it does is create friction between those who use the forum. Your point of view may differ to that of others and all points of view are welcomed. We have never removed or censored posts because they're critical of the game or the way it is supported except when they simply target other users to create arguments. If you wish to make a point strongly expect someone to disagree with that point.

On the original topic, updates happen regularly. There'll always be more to do but to suggest that no patches are released is inaccurate.

• Like Like x 4
  18. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

I guess in that vein you missed a few posts above that are purposely inflammatory. However I do understand. They have the "correct" views. I will do everybody in this post a favour though and delete all of my responses.

19. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Oh wow, response time is definetely improving. 1h 26min ain´t bad, indeed.

On the OP´s kurtosizm topic:

1. These forums are full of complaints about age old bugs, some are legacy from TSW2020.
    2. These forums are full of complaints about bugs that have been introduced by "patches". I. e.: One step forward, two steps backwards. Unpinning these threads in the Technical Forum won´t make these bugs go away.
    3. These forums are full of complaints about bugs that have been found by the community within 30 minutes after recent launch. They shouldn´t have been released in the first place. Instead we are commemorating that "updates have definitely gotten better with updates for a newly released route ..." Seems to me sorta value inversion here and I ask myself if this is for real?
    4. The last summer statement about "taking a hiatus for bug fixing" turned out to be ... deceiving. Instead TSW3 was released.

Lastly: I´ve developed an allergic reaction to statements who declare their very own, particular opinion as "objective" like it was the last Coke in the desert. How much of an allergy you develop after 8 months forum absence is up to you, of course.

Disclaimer: Everything above represents my humble opinion only. There! At least I said it ...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  20. FredElliott

You've both already been moderated by the boss, so for the purposes of clarity I'll keep this short. I couldn't care less about people's opinions on DTG, its game(s), or indeed anything else for that matter. I form my own opinions based on my own experiences, and that's generally why I keep my opinions to myself. At the end of the day, you're all strangers on an internet forum and outside of these forum walls, literally nobody cares what you or I or anyone else thinks

However when people start twisting facts to suit their own agenda, whatever that agenda is, and when I get dragged into this, you and I have a problem. The original post that I made was not designed to be "inflammatory", merely a simple jest about the inaccuracy of one of the posts. To distil it so that its crystal clear, consider the following statements:

1.There are patches roughly monthly

This is a fact. It is objective. Release history is documented in many places including SteamDB

2. There have been quick patches following release of DLC

Taking the word quick out of this sentence makes it a fact. Recent DLC releases have had patches pushed out following said release. "Quick" is subjective, timelines have generally been within two or three days where certain issues were found and patched. This fulfils the commonly accepted notion of "quick", within the context of patch releases. Note that I made no comment on the quality or content of these patches

3. "Updates are not that frequent"

This statement is presented as fact. By any commonly accepted definition of the word "frequent" in relation to how often patches are pushed out, it is an untrue statement., as demonstrated by the previous two examples. This is what I was pointing out indirectly in my original post.

Whatever is going on in both of your collective heads with regard to your opinions on the game or DTG or other people, is blinding you to what is objective (factual) and opinion (subjective). No opinion can ever be objective, the two terms are mutually exclusive. Moreover, you've both managed to convince yourself that your view of the game/DTG is the only valid one, and anyone that disagrees, or even presents factual statements, is automatically wrong or an "apologist". What is wrong with you?

I don't understand why two (presumably) grown men need to be taught the difference between these two concepts. By all means, shred DTG or its games to bits in whatever manner you choose, I care not. However, don't label me or other people with your ridiculous notions of "factionalism" or "hive mind" nonsense - you undermine your own arguments with this tactic, alienate other users and lower whatever standing and respect you've managed to garner here. Childish games are not going to gain you the ear of anyone at DTG or any other user of this forum

(That wasn't really short was it)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

No it wasn´t. Mine will be: OK!

22. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Excellent well detailed response! Chairman Matt awards you +5 points to your DTG social credit score.

23. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I agree with everything said in this post!
    It's a strange thing to have someone point to "massive amounts of bugfixes" only to see they came immediately after a release. That is just a laundry list of issues DTG knew about, yet they released the game/DLC anyway. No brownie points for those, sorry!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Cygnific

The question was "How frequent are updates being made" and not "How many fixes a update contains" or "How long after release" How many and how frequent is subjective.

There are timeframes for releasing a DLC/Game and they release a release candidate version to MS/Sony/Steam and continue to work on the DLC, then 'pray' it works fine and release the final version on day one or soon after, hench the quick update.

Does that mean they should willingly release a problematic dlc? No ofcourse not, and that needs to change. Choosing money over quality is bad practise.

• Like Like x 2
  25. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Some fan boys are keen to applaud that newly release routes receive quick updates that fix a lot of issues. I'm just pointing out that the practice is bad for us, players, customers, suckers, whatever you want to call us. They should postpone the release until those fixes are in.

26. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Is it possible to stop using pejorative terms like fan boys? It is as though some are trying to be divisive. We are all here surely as TSW users, fans, enthusiasts or whatever or maybe just railway fans.

Apart from those of course, who dislike TSW/DTG, and never use TSW as it is so awful, but keep coming on here to tell us how awful it is, and that those who use it are clearly in some deluded mental state coerced by DTG's management into a stupor by releasing DLC which we then use, believing we are actually enjoying it!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  27. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

JD! They figured it out!

• Like Like x 4
  28. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with the positive comments considering the increased frequency of updates and patches, especially for recently released routes.
    It’s really worth mentioning Tharandter Rampe as the odd one out here, though. I feel like it never really got proper post-release updates. It’s a very solid route, but that doesn’t mean the (few) bugs it has can stay in the game. Apart from the bugged lights and spawns inside buffers, I’m not sure if the shunting moves that took you onto unelectrified sections with an electric locomotive (!) have been fixed. The route sure could use some love.

• Like Like x 1