Is Simrail What Tsw Should Have Been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Dec 12, 2022.

1. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Hope it will allow manual post-processing to fine tune the results of this algoritm's work! :cool:

2. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

This should mean you can do very long routes with less hours.
    One person wanna do Siberian Railway 10 years ago.
    And with with current simulators, that is completely impossible. We told him that.
    But it you get help with many things like Simrail It doesn't sound completely impossible but still very difficult

3. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

Weird I'm still waiting for something to tell me that the game is perfect physically lol

4. jörgen Näslund

Is Simrail What Tsw Should Have Been ?
    I shall answer that in the end. You can compare them.
    Info I have 5 train simulators in my pc and have ride real trains.
    Most impotent for me is train feeling. The graphics come further down the list. (and save)

They have many similarities. Some think that Simrail has been released far too early even for early access.
    How was TSW in beginning. 8th December 2016. TSW Sand Patch Grade Beta released for a month maybe.
    The graphics were very good (comparing to other train simulators) you could walk on ground and in trains, it was fantastic.
    But almost everything else was bad. Dovetail received massive criticism for the simulator.
    Bad FPS very, bad train feeling I don't remember everything. 16th March 2017 CSX Heavy Haul Sand Patch Grade Released.
    Had they fixed the simulator. Nah. Fps was better but it was mostly that they had degraded the graphics and all trains var shorter.

Further info Dovetail said in beginning Editors and multiplayer are coming later.
    Now almost 5 years after we know this these promises were retracted.
    (of different reasons, i think consoles platforms could be one reason)
    The physics were important said Dovetail yet it was incredibly bad when it came out in 2018.
    Felt like a arcade game. Impossible that a real train driver could have approved this.
    1 Heavy coal trains rolled so easily up big inclines. (I say 400% wrong)
    2: Brakes. (it was a car brake performance, the trains almost stopped at once)
    3: Diesel locomotives had like a cruise control (Not in the reality) , Dynamic brake completely wrong, Dpu wrong behaviors
    4: No wind resistance in trains
    Many of these things dovetail fixed already but it took many year, but not all. I still get the completely wrong feeling in some trains how trains should behave.
    But some routes are better than others.
    Lighting. The big problem is that the Locomotive headlamp distance (and brightness) is way too short/weak ( there are occasional exceptions)
    and that you cannot see the light from other trains ahead you until they are very close.
    it means that the dovetail has made some routes very bright even in the middle of the night.
    The variation when driving. Is very little variation in services. If the signal is green on the first drive then it is the other 99 times as well. Same path every time.
    Just the weather you can change and different fixed trains. Scenarios is very good. but when you have done these there is like nothing more to do i feel.
    Consist editor. are still missing

Simrail are saying they shall do all this things as dovetail said at the beginning.
    Multiplayer is already in place and the editor is on its way (prepared in the main menu)
    It is possible to make really long routes in Simrail.
    The physics is already there (it feels right) but needs to be tested more with different trains.
    The graphics are okay, but worse than TSW. Would say at a good level where the graphics card can handle it with good fps.
    Lighting is good. Way better than Tsw
    The variation. With multiplayer you you get the variety automatically. With live person in trains and in dispatchers.
    But in server with many Ai trains/dispatchers not so much variety.
    Suddenly you have to stop for a few minutes or you have to side tracks to let another train go past you for it is faster than you. etc etc
    Singleplayer are now not so developed, but there are perhaps 10 different scenarios
    You drive a fixed train and you must contact Ai dispathers to enter stations.
    They update the simulator often (1-2 weeks)

So I say Simrail start, it took dovetail 4 years to achieve, and in many moments they have already passed TSW
    So TSW could have been Simrail but they took another path on the way.
    I answer YES.
    I was really hoping that dovetail took this way since 2018. but now simrail has taken up the baton instead.
    But i really hope Dovetail continues to develop the simulator also for us PC people so it becomes attractive. I want to keep both

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 11
  5. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

Both works have good and bad.
    It is also important how far our users pursue.
    Easy to maintain. It's best for beginners to feel free

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Wow, and for the German speakers, they use Warschau and Kattowitz due to how hard to pronounce the polish names. IF DTG has this technology then SFS Salzburg Wien OBB Westbahn can be made

7. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

No it can't as TSW, as it seems, can't technically handle routes longer than about 50 miles.

8. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Kassel-Wurzburg was 186km... 115mi...

• Like Like x 3
  9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Other routes are longer than 50 miles. Skw was long only cuz high speed and it's basically very similar scenery for the whole route, not a lot of stations. Unlikely to see anything like it anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aeronautic237

Yeah that was the DTG defender in me flaring up... sorry.

11. rennekton#1349

Nah, you're fine. You made a valid point there are longer routes

12. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

~87km in tunnels.

13. denis

denis Well-Known Member

Today patch came out for 3 gb

14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

With the new content revealed for TSW yesterday evening, I have pretty much forgotten SimRail already.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  15. denis

denis Well-Known Member

the new content with a massive tone of buggs and empty routes? Since starting SimRail I haven't even touched TSW

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  16. rennekton#1349

Everyone has their own tastes. Simrail and tsw are for different audiences. Tsw is easier to pick up and learn and soo much to do but that's got several years of development. Simrail on the other hand is for people who really want to do multiplayer and use editor. It's also harder to pick up and just drive like tsw. Very little single player content and no save which is a big deal for me. Obviously opinions still

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. jörgen Näslund

Saw this in twitter
    Over 19000 sold after 3 weeks
    Poland 29%
    Germany 26%
    France, United kingdom, USA 5 % 5% 5%
    Rest of world 29 %
    average playing time 8:43 hours.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. reallychummy

reallychummy Member

Steam tells me that I have 36 hours played and I'm still enjoying it. I've been signalling lately and enjoying that as well - I just unblocked a load of problems at Olszamowice (sp?) when I logged in and got people on their way. I'll be back to TSW when I next feel the need to drive a Peak but currently SimRail is still my most played game.

For those who have the game and are missing SP content, there's usually a server with a very limited number of people on it, so if it's avoiding other people that you want you could always use that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Mp will be the strong point of SR and that what's will be
    in terms of content, physics, accuracy, graphics and so on at the end doesn't matter which simulator is better or worse,
    i came to the conclusion and i do this with my other main sim games, the game that brings more immersion into what i play have top priority on my list of gaming and simrail is making me feel as immersed as assetto corsa competizion which i have 1900h

i still like TSW even with the gazzillons issues and bugs it have but simrail is making me feel more immersed that tsw and that's the win factor for me

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  20. Mephrite

Mephrite Active Member

What's surprising is, that second sells comes from Germany - almost on the same level like from Poland. And SimRail doesn't have any German route yet. Image what will happen, when they include first German route ~300 km long... :) In last patch they added Chinese language - another big market.

For me SimRail now, seems to be a more reasonable train simulator. If you compere beta TSW from ~2018 with current early access of Simrail, TSW seems to be a more under cooked product. What I like in SimRail is feeling of driving trains, decent graphic (but not flawless) and multiplayer. I'm a single player person, but unexpectedly I really liked this aspect of game. Trains models are even more detailed than in TSW. What I do not like in SimRail, is very poor single player - hopefully it will be better soon...

BTW. I think that DTG underestimate Poland as a worthy market. SimRail proves, that it can be interesting for the player - and what's most important for DTG - profitable. ;)

• Like Like x 5
  21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

aa.png

• Like Like x 3
  22. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

It begin to smell like SimRail goes the same way as TSW with VIP content creators club.

• Like Like x 1
  23. driverwoods#1787

They might do Poznan (German speakers Posen) Repzin (Reppen) Berlin Hbf. Since that was a Prussian railways route. Berlin Breslau also works for Simrail to add Germany. Reason for it is that the Professional version of SImrail Simkol is used by PKP Drivers for Cross border Poland to Germany

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

There was an intervie with devs in polish by KD (Koleje Dolnośląskie), a railway carrier on Lower Sillesia and there was a question about if the trains from this group hit the Simrail. The answer was that they might do/ or it's in plans a route from Breslau to Germany :)

Below video, no subs :(

• Like Like x 1
  25. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

TSW needs to put bigger accent on realism and polishing timetables and bugs to keep big amount of "hadcore" players...

• Like Like x 2
  26. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

"Hardcore" (and mature) players don't need Your timetables but ability to build custom routes and assets at all. And it seems now that SimKol will cancel modding API.

27. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

Then You are on the wrong "hardcore" style simulator game ;) I just take what TSW is capable to give not dreaming around...

28. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

I work with TSC and happy. But I hope, Simrail will become "a modern TSC" in modding capabilities, not another one TSW I'd refunded many months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  29. anthony.wood

anthony.wood Active Member

Nah, we just signed up to be the guinea pigs of sorts test the tools out on, if that makes sense.

30. AlexKall

AlexKall New Member

Source?

31. driverwoods#1787

Ok then and for the loco it's Eu44 Huzarz known in Germany as BR183 OBB Baureihe 1216 Slovenia SZ541. The last two can be made by Partner RSSLO for Karawakenbahn 135km Lijubiana Villach Hbf if demand is there for TSW 3 from TSC. If Simrail has Pesa Link EU44 Huzarz perhaps DTG should respond to them with DB BR633/634 OBB 1216 BR183 and Rabe 503 for LZN to match Warschau Kattowitz ED250

32. denis

denis Well-Known Member

New patch from 19.02

a new EP08 locomotive has appeared.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  33. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

And it's free

• Like Like x 2
  34. driverwoods#1787

Another locomotive from the EU05 EU07 EP07 licenced produced UK Class 83 locomotive for WCML South Railtour capable with Huddersfield Line Mk2s

35. denis

denis Well-Known Member

And next monday or tuesday another 2 extra freight trains... They were put in with yesterday evenings update but immediatly removed after some bugs. Also will be added a new dispatcher station to go along with those 2 freight trains.

• Like Like x 4
  36. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

and DTG would make you pay dunno "20$" for a new loco and here simrail giving it for free

• Like Like x 4
  37. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

On top of that and the german and american routes they have announced, they are extending the current polish route to Krakow (+/- 40 km), just added a quite complex dispatching post for multiplayer, all of that for "free" (or included in the modest 35 dollars purchasing price of the game)

• Like Like x 7
  38. rennekton#1349

• Like Like x 4
  39. DazrahT

DazrahT Member

As an actual signalman in the UK I can say I've thoroughly been enjoying the dispatching side of things on SimRail perhaps more than I care to admit! I've just racked up over 100 hours game some of which were driving, some as signaller and I think that's the big selling point for me (and countless others). If you get bored of driving after a while you can try your hand at signalling instead and v.v.

As a signaller in the box or as driver for another human driver to give you a little toot as they go by, that adds more realism for me than having the correct number of rivets on a loco!

As more and more available signal boxes come online (there's 16 as of today) with the added "human" element, people make bad regulating choices, people mess up (just like the real world) and you find that anything could happen further up the line, some days been really good on multiplayer (most things on time) but some like todays session where I was on Idzikowice (released today) for four hours which were interesting, a new panel and worked the grey matter a bit by having to regulate several late runners of which you have to be careful as some diverge over two single lines away from the mainline, luckily there's a few sidings to dump stuff waiting for another one to come off the single line first, juggling all that while trying to keep the Pendolino drivers happy on the mainline.

I have noticed a few Pendo drivers on the multiplayer do get a bit upset if you slow them down (just like the real ones here in the UK), even for a valid reason. I had one Pendo driver the other day on multiplayer obviously trying for the land speed record in a right mardy because I stuck him behind the slower EuroCity train was booked behind anyway, so I contacted the next box which was luckily human and not an AI and said "Grumpy driver on that next one because he's following the EC as booked, make sure you slow him down a bit more". Moral of the story, never upset the signaller!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 11
  40. aeronautic237

Ha! That's a great story!

• Like Like x 1
  41. DazrahT

DazrahT Member

I honestly thought that multiplayer was going to attract all the idiots, but in two weeks of playing it solid it's been nothing but an absolute joy and pleasure, a few Pendolino drivers aside. I've not driven one of them in game yet as moving a lever and setting the cruise control and doing nothing doesn't appeal, the EU07/08's on the EuroCity's are more my thing, or doing the 'TLK' ones that take a long detour round the houses via Juliesz over some really dodgy/bumpy track at 30kmph in places, the jointed track sounds excellent on the surround sound :)

• Like Like x 3
  42. driverwoods#1787

For the German route that might be Hauptstrecke Berlin Breslau (Wroclaw) via Reppen (Repzin) & Frankfurt am Oder. They revealed EU44 Taurus DTG version 1216

• Like Like x 3
  43. jörgen Näslund

Simrail wrote this
    SimRail is not only a computer game, but also software used in simulators to train real train drivers (among others, PKP Cargo trains on it) - hence the high accuracy in many aspects omitted in other similar productions.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  45. denis

denis Well-Known Member

Complex station, but intresting

46. DazrahT

DazrahT Member

The screenshots say all you need to know really!

Had TSW3 since it pretty much came out and SimRail a matter of weeks, 4 weeks at most, and I'm still loving it.

upload_2023-3-6_6-22-34.png

upload_2023-3-6_6-23-42.png

Although neither can touch my TSC playtime! But even that's not been touched since January.
    upload_2023-3-6_6-30-33.png

47. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

• Like Like x 2
  48. driverwoods#1787

Looks like someone can make a British class 83 locomotive which was the prototype for the EU07 EU06 & EU08 locomotives. One locomotives being made by the developers was Taurus EU44 which is known to the development team as ÖBB Baureihe 1216 which usually runs on the following routes Schnellfahrstrecke Köln Aachen Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg which is the proper full name for Kassel Wilhelmshöhe Würzburg & Hauptstrecke München Augsburg.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

At the start of my career I worked in railway signalling, but the polish signal box I hopped into that resembled a UK NX panel (RRI) left me completely baffled. The polish signalling system is obviously speed based, but I think I will pass until a route from another country is built. I did try some of the simpler modern solid-state dispatcher points but they were pretty dull, and in reality I very much doubt there would be signal boxes at these locations.

50. driverwoods#1787

One answer for it to why it resembles a British NX Panel was that Poland might have gotten the license from the original British manufacturer to make it for themselves which can then also explain why EU07 EP08 locomotives are basically Class 83s. Instead of getting East German VEB Teltow or Russian made signal panels for the railway. Signals are the Osshd type which are exactly the same as an East German Hl found on Nahverkehr Dresden & Bahnstrecke Dresden Chemnitz Werdau Tharandter Rampe routes.