Fishing Sim World Drag/line Weight

Discussion in 'Xbox' started by Schnauzer Meat, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Schnauzer Meat

Schnauzer Meat New Member

I've had fun with the game so far. Most problems I have seen have been fixed in subsequent updates and I hope that trend continues. Species are now distinguishable before seeing the fish since the recent bass update. It adds a nice touch of detail that is noticeable to an experienced fisherman. I think breakoffs are a bit too frequent with bass, but that leads me to my question. Does line weight or drag matter at all? If so, to what degree?

I frequently lose a ton of mediocre bass with 30lb line and drag set as low as 12 with perfect hooksets with a catch rate as low as 20% over stretches. The change makes it a bit difficult to play without the HUD. Would 50lb line solve the problem? Is increased breakoff frequency intended with the update? Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. Daft Badger

Daft Badger Active Member

Drag definitely matters,especially with Bass after the last update.I tend to use 30Ib line for Bass where before I was using 20Ib & it has made a difference.
    You've really got to be on the ball with adjusting the drag all the time when playing Bass now.
    I like what they've done with the Bass fighting but I do think it's gone a little over the top

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schnauzer Meat

I appreciate the response. I upgraded to 50lb line and it seems to have helped with the bass. Testing has been limited, but catch frequency seems to be up.

During bass fights, the erratic switching between slack line and imminent breakage is specifically why it is now hard to play without the HUD. At max tension, lowering the rod tip to the water eases tension when pointed directly at the fish. However, the small margin for error to get the lowered rod pointing to the precise location to ease line tension coupled with similar min/max tension audio cues results in a lot of lost fish. I will keep experimenting with drag settings to see if catch frequency increases. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  4. hunterecox

hunterecox New Member

Ive been using 40lb line at about 17 drag and haven't had many issues with losing bass. I've lost 1 out of about 15 due to low tension. Personally have been finding trophy bass easier because the tension stays alot higher

• Like Like x 1
  5. Schnauzer Meat

Following the switch to 50lb line, catch rate has improved with bass. Generally speaking, drag is set at 20 or less for bass and 20+ for pike and walleye due to their tendency to swim at the boat.

I have also noticed that trophy bass have been abundant since the update. Getting them in the boat has been much easier with the heavier line. Still a mediocre catch rate without the HUD, but much better with the new setup.