Monotonus Content

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rwaday, Dec 14, 2018.

1. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I am a fan of big locomotives and US freight. So far the latest releases for TSW have not been impressive to me. I like a bit of complication and enjoy a lot of mechanics in locomotive operation. This open doors, load passengers, close doors, go to next station and do the same just is not my cup of tea. Running a mile long coal train up and down hills using a combination of dynamic and train braking without over speeding or running a red aspect is a challenge. Building a train and picking up and dropping off freight cars in a day's work simulation is for me very interesting. doing something different every scenario. Doing a free roam scenario, picking locomotives, and setting my own job cards is something that TSW does not have. Running steam is also a kick. this takes a lot of skill to regulate your valve gear and throttle and keep your fire mass correct while injecting water into the boiler. So sorry DTG. I have waited while you have tried to increase your fan base by adding consoles, I have watched you pump out cookie cutter content in different flavors and you still have not captured my interest in TSW. I have almost 300 GB of content for TS019 and I do thoroughly enjoy bit of it. I have Heavy Haul and at first enjoyed it as a novelty but DTG has removed so much of the original detail and has left so many bugs I have only played that for less than 10 minutes in the last 6 months. So guys, if you enjoy this passenger shtick. I am happy for you. But I can't spend a dime on it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MidwesternRailroader

MidwesternRailroader New Member

I sort of have to agree with you here. I am personally getting bored of all of these commuter and passenger routes. These days, freight routes and/or locomotives seem overshadowed by modern commuter routes and that's kind of sad. There isn't a whole lot of challenge in constantly stopping at stations every two or so miles. However, being precise and on time can be challenging with timetabled passenger trains in that regard. I could list a few exceptions of passenger routes I would be fine with, and I could also see why people enjoy it, but I would like to see more routes similar to CSX Heavy Haul.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Personally, I like both kinds of content, but, especially being from the US, I would like to see a bit more than just CSX:HH on this front. That being said, I think I have an explanation for why the last 2 american DLC were mainly passenger. Be advised, the following is baseless speculation at its finest...

First off, passenger routes are generally more popular as a whole. Lots of people (including myself, as mentioned) like the challenge of sticking to a strict timetable while racing between stations. Given that DTG is a British company, there appears to be even more demand because these routes are more common in the UK and Europe. DTG knows that more mountainous, freight-centered American DLC is in demand, but they wanted to make an American passenger-centric route to make those people happy. That might be what they they were thinking when they made NEC:NY.

....However, as a passenger route, NEC sucked. It had 4 stations, and took like a half hour to fully traverse, even stopping at NJ-transit only stations that Amtrak had no business stopping at. It was a terrible choice of a route, and no amount of bugfixes could fix that. It isn't like Dovetail can't read steam reviews or sales history or anything- they knew this wasn't exactly a success. Perhaps to compensate, DTG added freight services, making the route more appealing to people who like switching. However, DTG still wanted to make an American passenger route for thpose who wanted one, so they decided to make the LIRR route the next American DLC. People had been asking for this one for a long time, so they knew it had some demand and would be a better passenger route choice.

That is, possibly, why we got two American passenger routes in a row- NEC was bad, so DTG had to make another passenger route. The GP40-2 may have even been just to keep the freight crowd busy while NEC was released, and the NEC services may have been to help as the next passenger route was released.

It's worth mentioning that there was a recent survey by DTG with about 15 possible routes that you could check off as routes you would be interested in buying if they were made in TSW. There were 2 American freight routes in there- Tehachapi Pass and "Kansas City-Topeka." While there are certainly other routes I'd choose over the middle of Kansas for a simulator so focused on graphics, Tehachapi would certainly be great, and if enough people voted- who knows, maybe 2 or 3 DC cycles away, we could get one one of those. And, hopefully, the relatively small number of American freight options could mean we're already getting one in the next DLC cycle next year?

Then again, if all goes well, we WILL be getting something next year that will definitely help with this- the editor. If DTG doesn't make anything like this soon, someone else will.

But, like I said earlier, I have no idea what's going on at DTG, and and I just kinda made this story up. It makes sense, though, to me at least. Hopefully, we'll see an American fright route next year, whether it's from Dovetail or not.

Jeez, that was a long post.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of that, I just said "The middle of Kansas" just for effect because the scenery's a bit plain. I know there isn't nothing, it was just a joke. I know it's on the eastern side, how else would KC be included?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018