Spring Summit 2023 - The Reveals!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

The American content looks awesome! I'm not familiar at all with NJT - the last time I rode them was more than 15 years ago, and I remember their equipment being similar to the MBTA stock we have in-game on Boston Sprinter. The new double-decker cars and electric engines look a lot nicer than what I rode. Looks like it'll be fun to drive - even more so with Acela's and NE Regionals flying by!

Does anyone know whether the Metroliner cab car will layer onto Boston Sprinter? Dunno if it is (or was) prototypical, but it seems odd to me that they'd spend almost an hour looping those Amtrak regionals/NE Directs instead of simply running cab cars like they do in Europe, the UK, and on the American commuter services.

2. kobo

kobo Active Member

I think I can help answer your question based on my experience working on the NEC. The metroliner cab cars are exclusively used in the NEC between NY Penn station and Harrisburg PA, plus a couple other locations in PA. The reason they are used in those areas and not in others, is due to the requirement for the train to be operated in the opposite direction midway through it's run. It's much easier to have the cab car than what they used to do, which was use a wye in Philadelphia. I'm not completely familiar with that area though, as I work for NJT and I primarily work the RVL route now. So the only section of the NEC I'm still intimately familiar with is from Newark Penn to NYP.

Speaking of the NEC, I did want to ask about how DTG plans on intergrading County runs. Anyone who doesn't know, County yard is located roughly 3 or so miles west of New Brunswick station. This yard is a bit small to house the ALP 46 and multi-level coaches, so they use our oldest equipment, the Arrow III. These cars just fit onto the tracks, and they tend to get cut and split up each day per run. Given the trenton route is not using those cars, but NJT's newest equipment instead, I'm very curious as to how they are integrating county runs.

I'm also curious as to which ALP 46 was modeled for the game. I'm aware the trailer showed a unit labeled 4621, which is the original model, but NJT also operates an ALP46A unit, which has considerable differences to the base model, most notably a higher power output of 7,500 HP and in turn a faster top speed of 125MPH as opposed to the base model which has a top speed of only 100MPH and power output of 7,100 HP. I'm very curious about which model was used for reference here, given that is a significant difference.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

You should post some of these more technical questions on the roadmap Q&A thread, would be really interesting to hear Matt’s response!

• Like Like x 1
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's only the alp46, so no A version

5. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I like how over a thousand people yell at DTG to add a train to the point where they're forced to. Over on the Rivet forums they always read my threads and actually consider it for the future.

6. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I am very exited about the Sherman hill upgrade to have some TSW3 features, and the Heritage package too!
    I had it for MSTS!
    Those liveries are awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  7. grdaniel48

Hopes the DB103 on the Mainz to Koblenz route, not be alone!
    All the great passenger cars - and the "Panormawagen" too - be included!

8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The Panormawagen dome cars were retired in 1976.

9. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

Jeeze can you not be happy for once with what new releases we are getting without mentioning issues and fixes

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with what was said

11. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I wonder why. Was it similar to the reasons for them getting rid of visa dome cars in the US? That they couldn't be bothered to maintain them, despite how incredibly wonderful they were for passengers?

12. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

Yes there is, saying about issues and fixes when the new routes have only just been announced, we dont know the other release dates other than ones that have been mentioned so id rather wait until release date first

• Like Like x 1
  13. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Frist a 060 on the way that good plus the return of the am fleet cab car another plus and few other nice additions as well.
    BUT
    Now the negative and disappointing side of all this good news...I know all to well everyone will come with unwanted technical issues.Your all ready thinking i need to respond by saying you don't know that they aren't even out yet.Yes unless DTG test team has suddenly grow by 50x very very little will changed and we will still get new prebroken dlc and i don't like or want to rag on about it it's very very depressing but they have done little to change this sad fact.This has been a long time problem that still is unfortunately,well for lack of a better word a problem.(I will say some of there DLC's have been better then others technically but it still goes up and down either way).

In history those who do little or nothing to change are bound to repeat there mistakes until they change there direction for the better of all who do the work to provide the best for all who buy there work.

When it's done right and well "EVERYBODY WINS".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Were you happy with the recent releases? These forums were full of comments and very few of them were positive.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

Edinburgh To Glasgow i will admit i was disappointed with but Rivet are onto fixing the issues, Birmingham Cross City i do own but not played it enough for me to comment on it, I haven't got the latest German route as yet so i can't also comment on that either.

16. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I will say the one route i could see myself buying is the upcoming steam route with the 060 it's what i been wanting as for the other stuff i'll have to see just what issues come packed with them.I'm willing to be a little bit more forgiving if the dlc got a stand out loco provided it's not to broken.

17. solicitr

Well, actually I am very happy with Birmingham. True, like Cathcart it's sort of a one-trick pony, and has a disturbingly empty "main terminus station;" but the 323 is an absolute gem, one of the top 3 locos in the game along with the 101 and 465.

• Like Like x 3
  18. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

Maybe if there is improvements/ fixes for London commuter. I hope it will feature London bridge Oxted line Redhill to Tonbridge and East Coast Way?

19. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I have not got the Birmingham Route, so I wouldn't know. From what i am hearing you say, I think it is a good loco. I hope that they are going to add the new replace loco which is class 730 which they said is coming by the end of this year. How good is the route?

20. solicitr

Haven't explored too much, but the stations seem lovingly rendered. Obviously I can't compare them to the RL ones, but they did put in a lot of detail. And the Brum skyline seems pretty good (fortunately, this loco's windscreen is big enough to see out of!)

21. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say I'm really enjoying it. It is only 1 emu on a big route which can mean it feels empty like at new street. Daisy, who helped with the sound recordings and working with the devs to implement features on the train, did a really great job. But that's just me. Lots of the bugs reported or the empty route or whatever don't affect me.

22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Until the night time. And then the UK's second largest city descends into a pitch black apocalypse. Impossible to drive.

You're right about the 323, though. Much as I dislike "electrostar " type emus, I actually quite enjoy this one - don't know exactly why.

I'd love to drive some 101 services up and down BCC. ( I refuse to use what is laughingly called the " scenario editor ").

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  23. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I’d like for an option to be able to use any train in a timetable service. I suspect we’re a good way away from any sort of decent scenario planner, so it could be a half decent stopgap.

24. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

That would be fun but the train dispatcher would fall apart very quickly with different trains.

25. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

I can confirm that Birmingham New Street is exactly how it is in real life since they upgraded the station, i haven't seen the new upgraded station in person, i did visit New Street back in 2010 and it was different to how it is now

• Like Like x 1
  26. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct and there is a way to tell them apart it's the numbers ALP46 4600-4628 while 4629 and up are ALP-46As. 4636 ALP-46A has the PRR Paint scheme which NJ Transit got from the American Premier Underwriters Insurance company which holds the PRR licence for NJT and DTG. That company was mentioned on a DTG Matt live stream on how they got the PRR licence for TSC down the road TSW 3

27. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

Seems like time to purchase first stw3 addon for me (first one since deluxe edition ;)

28. grdaniel48

Sad news.
    Thanks about it.

Then which wagons will the beautiful DB 103 will be leading on?

29. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Produktfarben-era IC coaches:

Avmz
    [​IMG]
    Source

Bvmz
    [​IMG]
    Source

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ooh, very nice. I haven't bought many German dlc recently, but this upcoming route looks very enticing.

31. grdaniel48

Thanks for information and pictures.

So then they will not match the colors of the yellow and red of the DB103.

32. solicitr

No. The 103 - as many did right up to retirement - retains the TEE/original IC colors of Beige (RAL 1001) and Purpurrot (RAL 3004). The coaches should use the colors of the Produktfarben era: Lichtgrau (RAL 7035) with window band in Orientrot (RAL 3031), accented with a bottom stripe in Pastellviolett (RAL 4009).

• Like Like x 1
  33. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

No thanks we need proper trams like the Sheffield super tram or Nottingham express transit or Manchester metro

• Like Like x 2
  34. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

Initial impression: I like seeing some wagon variety on the peak forest steam consist.

• Like Like x 1