Pacific Surfliner: La-san Luis Obispo Route Extension

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Average_Joe57, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner is one of three intercity Amtrak California train services in California. The Pacific Surfliner operates along a 350 mile route between San Luis Obispo and San Diego, California via Los Angeles. The 128-mile section of the Pacific Surfliner route between San Diego and Los Angeles is the busiest portion of the route, however several services extend north of L.A. up to Goleta and/or San Luis Obispo. [​IMG]
    A photograph of the rear of a northbound Pacific Surfliner train at the Santa Barbara train station, credit goes to Oliver Wihrauch. (Flickr username Zugrocker).

The 222 miles of track between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo, though not as busy as the LA-San Diego section, still sees a consistent amount of traffic daily. For most of the journey towards San Luis Obispo, Pacific Surfliner trains travel on the Union Pacific's Coast Line. The Coast Line is a rail route from Moorpark to Oakland, California and follows the Pacific Ocean for quite a bit of the line. South of Moorpark, the tracks are owned by Metrolink and host the Ventura County and Antelope Valley Lines. In addition to Metrolink commuter and Union Pacific freight trains, the Pacific Surfliner shares the route with Amtrak's Coast Starlight which is a long-distance train that travels between Los Angeles and Seattle, Washington. The Pacific Surfliner serves 16 stations between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo. These stations include Glendale, Hollywood-Burbank Airport, Van Nuys, Chatsworth, Simi Valley, Moorpark, Camarillo, Oxnard, Ventura, Carpinteria, Santa Barbra, Goleta, Lompoc-Surf, Guadalupe-Santa Maria, Grover Beach, and San Luis Obispo. Metrolink have two additional stations along the route which are Downtown Burbank and East Ventura.

• Like Like x 14
  2. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

I will love to see this LA-San Luis Obispo Route made in Train Simulator 2019. The Rolling Stock for this Route will have The SC-44 Charger with The Horizon Cars and The NPCU, Plus The F125 and Rotem Cars.

3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

If this is done, we need a BNSF ET44C4 or SD70ACeP4-T4 for freight services. The SC-44 Charger and F125 would be great, too.

4. Average_Joe57

Agreed!

5. Average_Joe57

Agreed!

6. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always feel like if a route of a corridor is made, the entire corridor should be made, such as this one and the entire NEC.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Funtime Freddy

Funtime Freddy New Member

I went on this route while on holiday. Only went from the second to last stop to San Luis Obispo. Still, I would like to definitely see this in the game!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Loc0motive

Loc0motive New Member

I would love to see a Surfliner Route expansion from LA to San Luis Obispo CA. come to life! Also would be cool to have a little bit of the Short line Santa Maria Valley R.R. at Guadalupe CA included. I wish somebody would have made it already.

9. JG100

JG100 New Member

This would be a welcomed extension to the Pacific Surfliner Route.

10. jscassidy010

jscassidy010 New Member

I agree they need to update the Surfliner route, while it's already an amazing route it could definitely benefit from a modernization and extension. They could even make it into several packs. One for the route extension from LA-SLO with the new charger locomotives and Amtrak Horizon rolling stock. They could also include modernization into that pack or sell it as a separate pack. Lastly they could offer a Metrolink rolling stock pack with Rotem cars and the new Metrolink locomotives.

11. jscassidy010

jscassidy010 New Member

They also had some of the San Diego light rail track already laid they could make a second route extension with a more extensive light rail system and trolley sets.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ConsumingInternalOrgans

ConsumingInternalOrgans New Member

I would get this so quickly if they made it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Southerner

Southerner New Member

Found this thread looking for the exact same thing (LA to SLO). Its a beautiful ride up the California coast and would make a great extension to the Pacific Surfliner LA to SD route that is on my Wishlist for the next sale. I have never traveled south of LA but the Coast Starlight also shares the same northern route as the Surfliner to SLO, which would add even more of an audience. I could see the beauty of this route also being a candidate for TSW2 treatment.
    CSpacific.jpg
    Just north of SLO there is a full horseshoe curve, perhaps could include this as a Coast Starlight extension to this route :).
    AmtrkHrseshoe.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. leebrompton

leebrompton Member

Yes please! It would be great to do the end to end drive including reversing in L.A.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

No objections from me. If there are enough services and potential usage of the route, it is worthy of an extension.

• Like Like x 1