Steam Winter Sale Any Good

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolvestrains, Dec 24, 2018.

1. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Hi, I am only a few weeks into my TS journey. People have posted I should wait until steam sales to purchase DLC. There is one on now, just not sure if its any good or I should be waiting for better. There is something called Settle Carlisle Special which is 90% off seems like a good deal.

60% off the North London Goblin line, still seems a little expensive to me at $23 aud (about 15 Pounds)

50% off Great Western but I picked that up as part of an old version of TS I think..

Is this the sale people talk about or are there better ones?

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

This sale is probably the best there is, it's just a question of priorities as to what you want. Must admit that I often buy dlc in the sales as they have the assets required for 3rd party content.

Check that the Settle-Carlisle Specials might require the SC route which is a nice scenic route.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  3. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Yes, I agree with Cat. This is probably one of Steam's better sales. I haven't seen so many items recently with 90% discounts. Other items have a lesser discount, but are still good value. Just select those items that are of greatest interest to you - and affordable. Steam has sales approximately every month, but not always with so many or so large discounts.

Keep a wishlist on Steam of items that you want to purchase in future sales, and buy them when they're cheapest.

Gordon

4. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

This is a good deal, but Settle to Carlisle Special requires you to have the Settle to Carlisle route installed (a separate purchase). Watch out for other discounted items that require particular routes to be installed - in case you don't already have them.

Gordon

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What I have tended to do is look to scenarios or regions that I want and then build around them. There are some great items in the sale (I picked up a train yesterday for about 49 pence, but then I already had the route it's scenarios run on) but then again I am trying to get a comprehensive UK set and have spent about £700 so far this year on it

6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

To be fussy you need the S&C if you want to drive the included scenarios but if you bought the pack it on its own you'd still get a collection of steam loco's, albeit older models, that you can use in your own scenarios for other routes. FWIW I bought both the route and Special Pack in a sale last year for a tenner or so and did not regret it (well... maybe a little bit now it's half that but c'est la vie).

7. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Yes, I agree - but I was thinking of someone who would not yet be at the stage of creating their own scenarios - but I may be wrong about that.

Gordon

8. JJTimothy

Yes indeed although it's easy enough to use any loco' in Quick Drive and the loco's are used in some Workshop scenarios for other routes.

9. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

yeap I am definitely not yet creating my own yet.

10. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

I think I am going to get the three west coast mainline ones (though it annoys me no Birmingham new street), the Settle to Carlisle one and maybe the South London (also tempted by Manchester to Liverpool)... are there any that stand out for other reasons?

11. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

If you want to drive into New Street, there's always the freeware "WCML(South)v5" on UKTrainsim found here - http://uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=38218
    The requirements are a bit excessive, but I'd say it's worth it. If you own none of the requirements, it's about £70 for everything you'll need in the sale, so you might want to consider putting some money aside and gradually working toward it. As well as that, the requirements themselves are very good, with the possible exception of Glasgow Airport Rail Link.

If you just want an out-of-the-box experience, the Wherry Lines route is very nice, if a bit short, that is centered around Norwich. The Bossman Games Black 5 is also a good pick if you like driving advanced steam power.

12. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

yeah I saw that, WCML South. I am a bit unsure it will work however I have had some problems getting reskins working other than the ones that use the european assets pack, I am unsure if there is some kind of restriction on my PC. It is one provided by work.

13. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Also... why do routes have so much random pay wear in them.. why would you need to buy Glasgow Airport Rail link to get a route based around New Street working.. I wish people could make these routes so you didnt have to buy so many other routes to get them to work

14. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

wolvestrains presumably people use those ‘random’ pay-wares because they want to use assets that are contained in them? If people didn’t use those assets the resulting routes would either take a lot more effort or wouldn’t be as good.

As a community I think we should all be very grateful and appreciative to those who produce the freeware or ‘contribute if you want’ ware. As you say in your original post you’re new to the game, and welcome, but you’ll be surprised how quickly you build content up (and therefore the requirements for the freeware). Yesterday I was scratching my head at how I’d managed to get 150gb of content in 9 months.

You’ll also find that the really frustrating situation is where, for a DLC or scenario, you need something that is no longer available for sale. At least in the example you give you’ve the option to buy the items you need!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  15. JJTimothy

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'd always recommend The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s. It's vast, various (an excuse for almost everything but fast main line trains and, in spite of the rather specific title, it would ably represent the BR steam era), beautifully made and (speaking as someone who lives in the area) very evocative. Well worth having at 75% off but I'd also note that it's going for even less on another site- I think the name might be censored if I post it here but that's what Google's for. Green man.

16. JJTimothy

Ooh you've got it bad! I got £20 to spend over Christmas and was thinking, "should I really spend it on TS? That'd take me up to £80!"

17. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I have no idea how much I have spent on TS over the passed 5 years, but with just over 4,000 hours spent on it, it must be worth it.

18. ARuscoe

This is why everything I download is being kept on a separate disk so if (read when) I need to reinstall or upgrade I can get everything back. Too much content from too many providers to have one of them suddenly go missing (as happened over the weekend for example)

19. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Oh, why is the green talk not aloud? that is where I have been buying the old versions of TS which has been a cheap way to build up some Downloadable content.

20. ARuscoe

When you're talking about giving your money to other than the author or publisher who may or may not be running the website you're reading this on...

21. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Is it not just another retailer? They must buy their product from the software house? Don't really understand the steam distribution model.

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

DTG makes the product you are using
    STEAM is the platform the games are sold on and distributed thru
    STEAM sells Product Keys to Other Resellers
    You Purchase from the Other Reseller and Redeem on STEAM
    You would have to use a STEAM Forum, instead of a DTG Forum to discus the way STEAM does their business
    Or a Forum away from this one