Nothings Changed, Nothing Learnt

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SBos, Feb 26, 2023.

1. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Despite assurances things would change for the better the truth is nothing has changed. Still seeing new releases with lots of bad feedback because of the number of issues. In a poll on this forum over 76% voted that the number of bugs/issues on the latest release was ridiculous.

We were told how automated testing would improve things but looks as though it’s another failure. Nobody expects any release to be bug/issue free but the number reported is simply not good enough. Added to the fact by past history that some never get sorted anyhow.

• Like Like x 22
  2. RedTiger SA92

RedTiger SA92 Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they replaced the manual testing with the automated testing. Automated testing doesn't look at things like catenary missing, floating passenger etc. They definitely should do both. It's probably even better to release alpha or beta versions for a selected time/selected amount of players (maybe ambassadors) which could provide them with feedback. I think there're people who wouldn't mind to test new DLC. It probably will even cost less time for DTG overall because they don't actually need a lot of testers from the company. Also every bug they catch before release will mean that they don't need to use lots of time for fixing afterwards. It's more efficient to do it right at the beginning rather than having to examine and fixing it afterwards.

PS: I'm still happily driving TSW2 and won't upgrade very soon because these bugs and performance issues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Automatic testing doesn't replace manual testing. They do both.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

Is there something in particular you are not happy about in the latest releases? The new US content is exceptionally good.

• Like Like x 2
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Many would disagree with about Trenton, agree that the Acela is up there with some of the best

• Like Like x 3
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Everyone's opinion is different. I like everything. The bugs don't affect me unless they actually prevent me from going a to b.

The recent trenton route isn't the best. I like it simply cuz I like driving the new locomotives, cab cars, using the acela, etc. But it really lacks in the timetable department.

Edinburgh to Glasgow wasn't really a solid route either. Lots of bug reports, poor sounds, etc. Lots of things are being fixed in an upcoming update.

Bremen oldenburg had lots of bug reports which quickly got resolved after launch.

Bcc also had usual bug reports around lighting, scenery, other bugs, only 1 train, empty new street, etc. Those don't affect me cuz I can still go from end to end. There were several patches after launch

The heritage pack is well a big disappointment. 6 liveries and scenarios for $15 with only subs. Apparently the quality isn't great either. Won't be picking that up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

You are joking, right? The New York - Trenton route is full of bugs, scenery issues, has a lackluster timetable and apparently a problematic ATC. The UP Heritage Pack is a joke. Barely any content and the liveries are low quality. The only quality content out of the bundle is the Acela.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Scott295

I really enjoy the Trenton route. A few bugs in the signalling/safety systems that are being resolved but otherwise I think its pretty solid. Nice scenery and mix of stopping and express services.

Its not realistic to expect any kind of software to be perfect and bug-free on release. Given the complexities of the signalling on this route I think they did a great job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dinosbacsi

They literally admitted to rushing the release, therefore the route not being up to the standard they wanted to and missing content.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Scott295

Rushed releases are the industry standard. It doesn't make it a bad product though. I judge any product by the amount of fun and level of immersion I get and I am loving the Trenton route.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dinosbacsi

And somehow that makes it okay and you are perfectly fine paying for unfinished products?

Good for you then, my man. I also wanted to like this route, but sadly the lackluster timetable, horrible reused scenery between NY Penn and Newark and countless bugs (pantograph bug, no marker lights on AI, no overhead wire at Sunnyside Yard, etc) made me turn away from it pretty quickly.

Personally I have bought way too much add-ons thinking it looks okay, giving it a chance, hoping it will get better later. But most of the issues always remain unresolved, and I am left looking at all the broken stuff while driving, be it holes in the terrain, floating and clipping scenery, LOD issues, timetable issues, low quality scenery or just the lack of AI traffic around me.

The problem is that TSW content has great potential, but most routes simply don't live up to that, as they are always rushed, left half complete and full of bugs. Most of the time an extra month or two would be enough to turn these barely okay or straight up horrible DLCs into amazing content. Yet they never learn, keep rushing out broken content, then wonder why it's a "niche" market and sales are low.

• Like Like x 15
  12. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think the OP misunderstands the purpose and role of automated testing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scott295

If the Trenton route is by your definition 'unfinished', then yes, I am happy to pay for that. Give me more.

As I said previously, aside from a few signalling glitches (already fixed in forthcoming patch) I am having a great time and that's all that matters. A floating tree here or there is not going to affect my enjoyment, even if I do somehow manage to spot them on a 40 miles route.

• Like Like x 2
  15. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

You forgot the word 'poorly' at the end of your last sentence :D

• Like Like x 5
  16. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

So they fail twice then. Brilliant.

• Like Like x 4
  17. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

I don’t I misunderstood anything my point is it was supposed to improve things and it hasn’t.

• Like Like x 2
  18. StrikeEagle78

With summer in the north coming soon, I have a picnic table I'd like to sell you. It is full price, but I'll get around to fixing it for you sometime if I feel like it. Just trust me ok?

upload_2023-2-26_15-33-6.jpeg

• Like Like x 22
  19. Dinosbacsi

Well again, I am happy for you then. But sadly, I find this level of quality sub-par and not something I would be happy to pay money for.

• Like Like x 3
  20. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

That's great, I'm glad you are enjoying it, but that doesn't make it an exceptional route by any stretch of the imagination.

I love Harlem and was able to finish all the journey chapters without a single terminal red light. That doesn't make it exceptional because others are unable to finish many services due to red lights.

I really enjoy BML, and because I've a high(ish) spec laptop I don't have bad performance. But again it's not exceptional because others have bad FPS, freezes and CTD's.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

You'll fix it soon!

• Like Like x 3
  22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

No matter what ‘positive’ spin is put on the Trenton route, it screams bad decision making by DTG. Ran out of time? Cut the timetable right back!!! Loads of feedback about trains clipping scenery in NY Penn Station? Bury head in sand and ignore any such feedback was ever raised!!!

To simply carbon copy NY Penn from LIRR and just tart up the lighting a bit is a total insult to us players who have paid DTG good money and took time and effort to report glaringly obvious issues about the trains clipping the scenery. It’s just not on and they don’t get a penny more of my money until they change their attitude. I was going to buy the Acela, but nope. I can live without it until I start seeing some very significant changes in the way DTG prioritises stuff.

• Like Like x 12
  23. solicitr

Define "things"

24. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Things like new releases not having so many bugs/ issues that are reported by players on release day. Things like bugs/issues being fixed in a reasonable time. Things like I mentioned in my original post which you should have read properly.

• Like Like x 2
  25. solicitr

You calimed that automated testing was supposed to improve "things." Now you define "things" as the whole laundry list from your OP. You really think autotesting is going to improve the speed with which bugs are fixed post release? Or that it would in any way have addressed the absolute No 1 capital-I Issue with NY-T, the empty timetable? Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with what autotesting is supposed to do, and what it is not.

This reminds me of the twit journalists vaporing about how this or that irrelevant regulation would have prevented the East Palestine derailment

26. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

We hear your complaints about the last picnic table we released, and we need to do better. Join our PicnicTableFans.tv stream next week for a preview of our new Picnic Table you will be able to purchase the following Thursday!

• Like Like x 11
  27. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Youre so funny, and here's another Joke. I'm gonna buy their next dlc at full Price

• Like Like x 3
  28. StrikeEagle78

[​IMG]

29. StrikeEagle78

[​IMG]

30. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

I never claimed anything I said we were told. Clearly you are unable to digest or understand what people write and perhaps you should acquaint yourself with what people do write.

I haven’t come up with the laundry list as you put it it’s come from reading all the posts about the issues players have posted.

Your responses just remind me of a twit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  31. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

And you know this how?

Have you seen it? Have you had a premonition? Are you one of the much lambasted QA testers?

Or are you just being a little bit gullible and believing that famous DTG spin without actually witnessing that they'll deliver what they promise. I believe it could be the latter.

• Like Like x 10
  32. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

Whilst it may not be fully usable as a picnic table you could still use it to prop up an umbrella that magically opens whenever it rains.

Anyway make sure you join us for our next live stream where we will be revealing our latest German picnic table / umbrella holder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3