Your Favourite Train/locomotive And Why?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pveezy, Feb 23, 2023.

1. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this topic has been done recently but I thought it would be interesting to see what people's answers are.

For me the factors are a mix of the train itself (how well its made and interesting to operate) and the routes it is on. I own most of the routes and play everything from US freight, commuter all stop passenger, limited stop/express passenger. I tend to most often like US freight and the faster/limited stop passenger runs.

1. Acela: brand new, but I love it. Beautifully made. Seems to live up the real one as far as I know. I find it very fun to drive. The fact that it is a "high speed" train (at least on some sections of track), but also not fully automated controls makes it fun to drive. Having it on two routes is great, since each is different and both have some fun spots, for example I love the twisty section coming into Boston from Providence with this train. Because of the nature of the routes you have tons of speed changes and need to always pay attention.

2. Javelin: I have always liked this one for a lot of the same reasons as the Acela. High speed train, but still all manually controlled (doesn't even have cruise control). The route it is on gives you a good mix of slower speed commuter stuff as well as high speed on the HS1. The power switchover is a neat thing to do. Love the inside feel of the cab.

3. TGV: Another high speed train. I think the fastest in the game? I find it great to just blast across southern France in it. I love the cab, for some reason it reminds me of a space shuttle (the way the nose looks). I like the relatively manual controls. Interesting power switch as well on the route. The route itself isn't the most exciting (long and straight, little traffic, but true to a real LGV track). This is a train that I hope to see in another route soon (or more TGV variants).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There is one on SEHS

3. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

True! I actually love that run too. Although I'd like to see more France with it (or the older TGV). I am not sure if there are any other sections of route that would fit well into TSW though since most LGV are long.

4. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

Class 20/37/101 i have driven them..

5. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

1. Class 43 HST, an old 'un but a good 'un. I think it was the first train I ever drove in the game, and I remember thinking "jeez, you can feel how heavy this thing is, how did they manage that!", and I think to this day it's why I enjoy TSW so much more than any of the others, it just manages to convey how big and cumbersome locos can be when you start them off.

2. Class 47, for the same reasons as above + The clanging of the engine as you try to keep to schedule over the Pennines.

3. It's a multiple way split between most of the individual loco DLCs. I think everything new and original has always been good, BR155, 465, BR101, 20, 31, M3 and now Acela :o

6. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

For me, has to be the Class 465 on SEHS. Great looks, sounds, physics, the lot. Really fast acceleration and sharp responsive braking, easy to drive hudless too thanks to the large speedo and noises of the power/brake handle are very distinctive for each step. Would love to see the hitachi version of the 465 in the future sometime one maybe with a metro route.

• Like Like x 1
  7. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

1. It has to be the Peaks (Class 45s) as they look and sound beautiful climbing up the Pennines and beautiful to drive.
    2. The BR Class 31 as it looks stunning and the sounds are well produced and also a pleasure to drive (though could do with a few passenger services and another route to stretch its legs a bit more).
    3. The HST as it allows me to relive the days when I worked them before being replaced with the 800s and 801s which brings back a few memories! Also like the other two a pleasure to drive although the route is rather dull.

Although I would have preferred it in the 70s or 80s so I could use the Peaks on another route part of me can't wait for the MML route as providing the sounds are spot on the VP185 HST will take 3rd place as they sounded glorious.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Out of all the trains currently in TSW, for me it would be the M3 - either the LIRR or the Harlem Line variant. I just like retro EMUs and the M3 is a perfect example of one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

I only play UK routes and my preference is for the class 166, goes well, sounds good, hopefully one day we get a livery editor for it.

10. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question, as the answer is totally unexpected for me.
    My favourite type of service/scenario is US freight. So, if the question was about the route, I would be choosing Sand Patch, or Clinchfield, or Cajon Pass.
    But the question is about the train, and I'm surprised to realize that my favourite train is not one of the US locomotives. Just thinking about it, and I notice that whenever I drive one of these, I'm using the external camera almost all the time. So, while I enjoy the challenge of US freight, the locomotives themselves are not the reason why.
    So, thinking about the cameras, I realized that the locomotives I always drive without an external camera are the ICE locomotives. There's something special about these locos: the "King of the Road" position, the symmetrical cab layout, the cleanliness and modernism of the desk, it all combines for a very special feeling of immersion.
    If I could build or buy a sim rig, it would be an ICE3M cab.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. denizmert

denizmert Member

The reason why I don't drive the ICE from the external camera at LZB speeds is because my FPS would drop to 10 in my potato PC if I do that.

12. denizmert

denizmert Member

Class 66 has the best idle sound for me, I find its cling cling cling soothing and pretty melodic. Even though SD40 is also two stroke and sounds kind of similar, I find its idle annoying to no end, to the point of turning down the volume if I need to idle it.

For driving it's hard to say. What is the locomotive that's closest to study level in this game?

13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

UK locos: Classes 31, 45 and 101.
    US locos: F7, AC4400CW.
    Can locos:: GP9rm. (Best overall).

• Like Like x 2
  14. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I'd have to say the GP9rm and the MP15DC would be my favourites. Both classics in their own right now days.
    I don't play or own the British or Euro routes as the locos all look the same to me - boxes with windows - and I am not into passenger trains or high speed unless its pulling a long freight at 60 MPH. Although surprisingly enough I have actually enjoyed running the F40PH and cab cars in Pen Corr, which is really odd for me.
    On a side note, I think people's preferences / favourites would be mostly based on what they know or grew up around. I could be wrong, but for me that's how it is... 2 and 3 mile long Western Canadian through-freight trains, lazy 20-30 car branch line mixed trains, and the odd Supercontinental passenger train. I grew up before VIA rail so the romance of the older CN and CPR passenger trains still lives in the back of my mind as memories from both watching them and riding on them. Been across Canada twice by train as a youth and worked a couple years on a private short line. Once the sound of the rails and the smell of the creosote gets in your blood, it's there to stay.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one who considers this to be a classic.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

And a very nice uniquely Canadian classic at that.
    Kind of funny after note - I have been model railroading for over 40 years (since 1975) and I don't have one in scale. I'll have to make that one of my goals for this year ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

US M7 & M3 from LIRR and Metro-North are Easier to drive than a British Class 166 GWML due to no need for a Driver Appliance Reminder.
    Germany DB BR155 & Press 155 you can manipulate it's Traction force selector and Taps to get going from a dead start on PZB Mode U train with Sand

18. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

One thing I love about it (from the Canadian POV) is it totally feels like a Canadian loco with all the bilingual labels inside. Even on the same route the CN GP38 doesn’t have that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

You know what, the HST is another I've always really liked. It came close to being one of my favorites... I think the only downside to it is the route it is on being not exactly compelling and a little older now. But I am excited for Skyhook's new route and the new HST variant, I hope it does it justice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Oh, good thread. When I think about it, there's a ton of great stuff in this game. I have all DLC and could very, very easily rattle off 25 things I love to drive.
    But if I had to pick one, then the F40PH, obviously. Big, lumbering, American diesel. Even better with Cactus' awesome improvements to the route signaling on Boston. They're objectively outperformed by all the new hardware but these have always held legendary status in my head, since I was a kid.

• Like Like x 2
  21. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

The peak because they look cute but powerful sound friendly but meaningful and look slow and laid back but are fast and nippy. They are just the best basically!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, given that nostalgia wins, I have listed two DB locos from my childhood. But in rational mode, in terms of significance + looks, it would have to be the EMD F-units.

23. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

For me its the 465/9, aka the nippy networker. I've known these since i was very young. It's the sound of the traction motors i particularly love. Having grew up with them, i mainly travelled on the london bridge to dartford route ( and vice versa ) my local station, kidbrooke has only these serving it. Kidbrooke is also a pass through for class 66 hauled freight. Mainly in the mornings.

24. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Honestly I love the 101! Having to get to grips with gears and the lapped brakes has been great fun. I love the cab and all the toggle switches and just having the window down to hear the clickety clack of the rails! Honestly its fantastic! So much more rewarding for me personally than the modern EMUs :)

Also love the 33, Jubilee and 8F but what we really need is a Spam Can (Bulleid Pacific) or Schools class! ;)

• Like Like x 4
  25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Spam Can you mean an SR Battle of Britain Class locomotive? For youngsters that play TSW, they will simply equate it with a Thomas and Friends Character Rebecca since she's one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  26. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Mine is the original Sandpatch CSX SD40-2. It was the first engine they modelled, and a lot of work went into this one as it had to establish the TSW series. Many details were dropped on later engines, such as the engine room, spotter buttons, clickable PCS/Wheelslip indicators, all the breakers. The gauge lights are not too bright and the cab light's realistic. It's just a flawless engine.

• Like Like x 2
  27. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

The DB BR101 ... beautiful, yet powerful and implemented with lots of love, eye for detail and authentic sound.

• Like Like x 6
  28. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I don't say this to negate or discredit what you've said (I certainly felt the same way for a long time) but it is funny to see this from the other perspective where all GE widecab and EMD standard cab units look identical.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  29. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

1. Class 101. Tricky to learn to drive but extremely satisfying once you get the hang of it. I love the fact that you can make infinite tiny adjustments on the brake to get precisely the brake force you need, rather than having to alternate between steps. The manual gears add another dimension, too. The cab is beautifully done, everything works as it should. No electronic beeps - all bells and clangs and clatters. Wonderful.

2. Class 31. It’s difficult to choose between TSWs excellent collection of old diesels (if only there were more routes for them!) but for me the 31 has a particular character that I love. It may relate to me having spent many happy childhood hours hanging out of the window when being hauled by them, whereas I don’t really remember the Peaks properly.

3. Class 40. My memories of these locos in real life are limited to D200 working on the Settle-Carlisle at the very end of the Class 40 era, during a family holiday near Appleby. By calculation rather than luck I saw D200 countless times in those 2 weeks, and rode behind it a couple of times. In TSW it’s an interesting loco as, when used to substitute for a 45 or 47, it creates an added challenge to keep to time, having less horsepower than either of those types. I also things it’s a little better simulated than the 47, and every bit as good as the 45.

• Like Like x 2
  30. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

My favourites are:

- DB BR 101
    - DB BR 401 (ICE 1)
    - DB BR 612

• Like Like x 3
  31. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Haha, no offense taken, Callum. I see the humour and opposing view in it... I expected it. I actually feel the same about many of those locos also. This is why I don't buy many of the other North American routes too - in my eyes they are all basically clone locomotives in different paint! And the F units too. Never been a fan of either style. There's just no interest there for me. I like the older stuff. I own Oakville, Clinchfield, Penn Cor (for the MP15DC) and CJP - because I had to to upgrade the game from TSW2020. I am not real interested in the CJP ES44C4, but it is a nice unit to drive and the route has the SD40-2, so we're good ;-)
    I grew up around trains starting in the late 60s and have been modelling them since 1975. I worked for one back in the mid 80s and still am infatuated with them. But the lines of the locos from those eras are far different and more interesting to me than the current era with their monster locos and high speed trains. I still don't like passenger trains and I'd rather railfan the older & smaller cab units on branch and short lines than the monster wide cab units on the main lines. I honestly don't get the draw to them. Their just way too big and boring to me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  32. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

There are too many I like, so a ranking is quite difficult for me.
    I prefer commuter trains (like DB BR 425/422, Talent 2, etc), but also Highspeed Trains (ICE, TGV, Acela, Javelin). There isn't an outstanding favourite.

33. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

166 just pips the 101 for me but the 101 is a cracking bit of kit tbf

34. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

So hard to narrow it down, but if I break it up into categories, that helps.

High Speed:
    The 401. Old school ICE. I love the feel of the loco and the view out front.
    The Javelin. I love the power changeover and using different safety systems and power modes in the same run.
    The Acela may yet join this list. I am enjoying it so far, but don't really think I know how to really drive it yet.

Box Electrics:
    The DB 101. So many cool features including being able to temporarily disable AFB by applying the electric brake in isolation. There is not lighting situation that the instrument cluster can't adapt to and the physics and sounds are spot on. Also, it layers into many great services on multiple routes.
    The ACS - 64. I rediscovered this gem when I set out to relearn the Boston route in anticipation of the Acela. Such nice sounds and the loco handles well as you deal with the safety systems. I also can't resist the TSW and Amtrak 50th livery.

Old School:
    The F7. The quintessential transition era US diesel. I prefer the grimy Clinchfield one and love all the levers and knobs. No MFDs here!
    The 110: What an amazing trainset. I love the bucket of bolts feeling I get driving this.

Unlike Anything Else in the Game:
    The 612. Such unique power and sounds and I love the horns. I am sure I break many German sound ordinances driving it. Tilt and you get to go faster; how can you not love this? It would be great to see it - and the 110 - layer into future routes.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Rob_

Rob_ New Member

Class 20, 31, 45 driving them and my location and era.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Currently clearly the BR110 with Cabcar! :D But I'm afraid it will soon be the BR103... :love:

• Like Like x 2
  37. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

101, peaks and 47s because they used to take me to work in Liverpool.

In TSW I love the 33, it's beautifully modelled, I wish DTG would make a route to do it justice, it's criminally underused.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

101 Bloody brutal to start, especially in the cold.

39. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member