Anybody Wondering What's This Year's ' Big Summer Release ' Will Be ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shackamaxon, Mar 6, 2023.

1. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Fully agree with this. I do think that fleshing out the existing content with more loco DLC or extensions and general upgrades should be a high(er) priority so we can all get the most out of our collections. Whether that's paid for or free, I don't particularly mind - I just want to get the most out of each route's potential.

• Like Like x 5
  2. here me on this one okay as a very long TSW player and Livestreamer this is what i want as the 2023 Core update and trust me all will find TSW a better game if it happens plus 3 great routes..

(September 2023/October 2023) Summer Update (Spring here in Australia)

Core & Features

* Move to Unreal 5.1

* PSI system for the Right country of the Route not UK PSI on all like it is now..

* the close lighting bolts return in thunderstorms and can be turned on or off for people that cant handle flashes of light this would be a good thing..

* Whole new NPC's that are on the Platform when starting a Trip and enter the Train not exit it like they do now also no longer stand around and then walk off when closing the doors and also will be more coming off and entering the trains on all to most stations..

* scenario Planner 2.0 & Creators Club 2.0 now can paint inside the trains and custom seats and add even more locos to custom Scenarios

The 3 Routes for the 2023 Core update

* WCML London Euston To Birmingham New Street
    Don't say it cant be done because dovetail already said they can do long routes this is a major win for all if this happens..

* Riesa - Leipzig Extension of Nahverkehr Dresden this i think would be a great Extension and make alot of sense that this would be apart of the core update i would like to see this happen but it must come with the I-C-E T So we get the Tilted Germany High Speed Loco at long last for TSW

* NEC Philadelphia - Baltimore this makes alot of Sense to happen as well as its around 1 hour to 1 hour 30mins long would be great to see some more Amtrak stuff as well would open the door for other great locos from the past and would be a great add on also the Acela would have a place again to do its thing with the players could also be time for the Liberty Acela? who knows

so what do u think folks good or what..

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Would love to see these three things happen. Sadly I suspect I am more likely to be signed up by Arsenal to play centre forward than this happening.

Euston to Birmingham would be a dream but they can't even budget to build from Ambergate to Derby so sadly, the accountants will put the kybosh on that happening.

The Leipzig extension, which would make much more sense than stopping at Riesa will fall foul of "we don't do route extensions", with the debate as to whether SEHS is or not.

The NEC Baltimore again the accountants will probably say no, if it had more tunnels it might be possible.

4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think you are getting too ambitious on certain things. Unreal engine 5 is still in its initial stage and dtg said themselves they wouldn't move to it until every other developer uses it.

Scenario planner and ld 2.0 were dropped quite some time ago and haven't appeared at all on roadmaps or anything. Maybe in future tsw titles but until they add it back on the roadmap, it's not going to happen.

The avelia doesn't even run services yet. It's still in testing.

And some of the routes you mentioned are quite long which you said not to talk about. In theory, dtg could create Euston to Birmingham. But that's still over 100 miles with multiple stations. And unless dtg plan on making multiple new trains, it's going to be really empty. I think it's better to create a smaller portion of wcml in a different area with the appropriate trains that run along the wcml and slowly build the loco collection so the big wcml South if it ever gets made really feels busy. In comparison, skw is 186km but only 3 stations with the exact same scenery across the whole route and half the route is tunnels which is probably easier to make than 100 miles of changing/complex scenery and multiple stations. You could argue stations are not an issue and bring up London commuter which is 29 stations I believe or the many stations on bakerloo but those are shorter routes compared to wcml South

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I'd just like to see them at least fix it so all the things that aren't supposed to flash will stop flashing, like the entire interior of cabs when entering tunnels.

6. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  7. rennekton#1349

Don't we already have massive stations in game? And isn't Frankfurt even worse since it's much larger?

• Like Like x 1
  8. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I wont hold my breath!

Hentis

9. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

From the Wiki link:

"Leipzig Hauptbahnhof (Leipzig main station, IATA: XIT) is the central railway terminus in Leipzig, Germany, in the district Mitte. At 83,460 square metres (898,400 sq ft), it is Europe's largest railway station measured by floor area. It has 19 overground platforms housed in six iron train sheds, a multi-level concourse with towering stone arches, and a 298 metres (978 ft) long facade at the northeastern section of the Inner City Ring Road."

Model that!

10. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

In railway terms it's smaller and quieter than Munich though.

11. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

if done properly, the wcml won’t feel empty. 390s, 350s and 220s along with the class 323s on WMR, it won’t feel empty at all it would be more like BML

12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think you know that any new route, even a portion of WCML will likely come with just one new train. That's the business plan now.

BML was a supernova. It's light is no more.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  13. Crosstie

In some ways you're right, if you value green dinosaurs, feral cats and ( sometimes ) working elevators.
    But in the core elements, SPG and GWE are still at least as good as anything being released today.

14. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...it may be that we will see Frankfurt/Main in the future, since DTG Lukas is from the area and once mentioned wanting to convert his home station with a new route someday. But it will certainly be a huge undertaking, since the dimensions of Frankfurt Hbf easily come close to Munich Hbf. Would then also be a current route and a great opportunity to introduce the ICE4. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

• Philly-Baltimore: pointless without both SEPTA and MARC, and DTG don't have a license for either. Amtrak services alone would make for a very boring route.
    • Unreal 5: why do people think that this is some sort of magic bullet? Besides requiring yet another PAID upgrade to TSW4 (completely porting all the existing content would be a crapton of work, by devs who have to be paid), all it would do is permit prettier textures in new routes. The lighting won't magically improve, nor will the stuttering be affected.
    • "Paintable" train interiors: would crush framerates

• Like Like x 1
  16. pessitheghost

yk what, we might get more than one loco but they would up the price, especially because it’s a long route with loads of trains, and don’t even get me started on an ecml

17. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Hopefully a pre order on console, definitely exited for that one :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. archline

archline Active Member

I hope DTG can consider further supporting DX12 and adding support for AMD FSR2 and Nvidia DLSS. After all, MSFS has added DLSS, and the effect is very good. I don't quite understand what resistance TSW has in this regard.

• Like Like x 3
  19. kevc137

kevc137 New Member

Waterloo to exeter with a class 33 and a class 50 would make an interesting change

• Like Like x 2
  20. pessitheghost

A trent valley line could very much be in the pipeline, a ecml south as well because it’s shorter with less stations

21. Princess Entrapta

Given the size of the console userbase, I'd expect FSR2 before DLSS, since it makes the most sense to get the version that works on PS5 and XBox working first.

• Like Like x 1
  22. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Matts busy timetable is like Columbos wife, everybody is talking about it but nobody really see it :D
    Does the timetable really exist ? He is been talking about it since LIRR release... but then TSW 2 was released and dispatcher cant handle busy BKL line (at least what DTG say before). So dispatcher can handle LIRR busy timetable 5 years ago but not busy BKL which is almost 3 years old which is using DispatcherV3 while LIRR was using by that time V2.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

These I think would both be great upgrades, a lot better and easier than the mythical Unreal 5 magic bullet I see tossed around all the time. The former already works fairly well in TSW, I doubt it would take much effort to get it fully working. DLSS might take more effort, but I think that's genuinely worth whatever effort it takes to get it implemented. Would allow lower end systems to run the game better, or alternatively could also allow them to push Unreal more while still ensuring existing systems could still run it decently.

24. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Could be Canadian Pacific's Kicking Horse Pass for the new North America freight route.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I don't think we have any clues pointing that way, but i'd be excited to see a new operator in the game, and we've only been to Canada in Oakville.

That being said, am i the only one who'd like to see a change of pace for the next US freight route?

So far, the freight routes have been:
    SPG
    Clinchfield
    Sherman Hill
    Cajon Pass
    Cane Creek
    Horseshoe Curve
    Oakville

Except for Oakville, these are all quite mountainous, slow moving routes, which is great and challenging, but there's not a ton of variety in operations.

I'd like to see a more urban route with lots of industry to service, and maybe a faster pace.

Honestly, something like Oakville, but better- realized.

Most obvious would be BNSF Racetrack, but the Metra licensing issues remain afaik.

Maybe a CSX route in the FL/GA area?

I know there was a TSC route set around Kansas City- that sounds kinda interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

If anything, DTG could bring the Montana Hi-Line to TSW, flat plains with a saw-tooth gradient, lots of Grain Elevators to service, 2 yards (Shelby and Havre). 60mph speed limits for Freight, plus options for Amtrak's Empire Builder. Also not much in terms of scenery work aside from Rural Montana buildings, most unique stuff would be in Shelby and Harvre.

Granted the one on TSC is G-Trax but DTG could always make it themselves.

Bonus points if DTG backdates it to the Great Northern or Burlington Northern Era.

However DTG's recent US stuff would show that this route would have something go wrong with it.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Crosstie

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it came with an ES44DC a GP38, the SW1500 switcher and related freight cars as G-Trax made it for TSC. Not likely.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  28. simpman

simpman Well-Known Member

* I'm hoping they finally take the time to improve scenario planner. It has been almost 2 years without an improvement and the functionality as it stands is extremely limited. It should have scripting support, messages, custom consists, playlist/journey, and easier (automatically generated) timetables that you can then fine tune. You should also be able to set custom or dynamic weather and the season since that was a selling feature of TSW3.

* I'm still waiting on the fireman game play that was said to be in development at launch of Spirit of Steam. They could add other roles as well. It would be nice to be able to vary the game play from driving a bit and there is more to do in these worlds but driving and railfanning.

* Your team spends a lot of time and effort researching all the aspects of the route and it would be cool if there was a way to expose that information in game. For example, a scenario where it's a tour of the route with facts and history as you drive along. It could also act as a "developer commentary" for parts of the route that were challenging to recreate, or work that the team is particularly proud of but might not get noticed by players. For example it took me a few times down the line on Rhein-Ruhr Osten to notice the Wuppertal Schwebebahn because I was so focused on the track ahead.

* Other than that I'd like to see the UI tweaked a bit more. The pause menu feels cluttered and on controller it takes several clicks to get anywhere I want like Exit and Restart. The options menu is definitely improved, but I feel more work is needed to improve the amount of settings, specifically HUD & Gameplay. There are just too many options, and some are very similar. I feel if it's something you add or change in the HUD it could be displayed as a picture highlighting HUD elements and letting you choose which elements to display, making the disabled ones transparent.

* The 2 maps in game need improvement as well. The 9 map feels flat. Is it not possible to overlay some topography or satellite imagery behind the map? The pause menu map is virtually useless, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  29. rennekton#1349

There was information about the schwebebahn in the route introduction I believe

30. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I predict a focus on non-driving modes. New routes that will feature:
    • Manual steam-firing.
    • Freight conductor/yard hostler. (I think that's the right word. The people who assemble trains.)
    • Passenger conductor/guard controls.

• Like Like x 1
  31. simpman

I must have missed it because I already knew how to move my mouse and didn't like the forced introductions. They already do some of the fun facts/history in the route introductions and tutorials. But while I'm playing the game I have questions about "what building that is" or "why is the speed limit here 10 mph" because I don't have deep knowledge of the routes and the information is scattered about in various locations. But during development they would have obtained a lot of this information and I feel it wouldn't add much development time to a route but be a value add for those interested. We all know JD loves trivia, so he can relate to an inquisitive mind.

Obviously with some routes that would be more a challenge. For American cargo routes, for example, there may not be enough to share of interest about some sections of the route.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  32. Princess Entrapta

I literally bought it BECAUSE I saw in the preview video that it had the schwebebahn.

33. simpman

Yeah and to be knowledgeable about a route or loco you NEED to turn into those preview streams. They often go over many details not present in game. So they know the details, but haven't found a proper way to share that information in game. You shouldn't NEED to watch preview streams, but they are currently the best source of information at launch, no question.

34. Princess Entrapta

I meant the preview video on the store page.

35. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Do you mean the train simulator classic Canadian Mountain Pass route here is Matt playing it

• Like Like x 1
  36. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

To some degree i do agree with you, but for me the best feeling of north american freight route is to tackle the mountainous region, controlling the train nice and easy. But yes something flat and capable running the train at 60 or 70 mph would be great as well. I'm thinking about BNSF southern transcon around Arizona and New Mexico for that matter.

Yess!!!

• Like Like x 1