[game Breaking!] Editing A Route When Using The X64 Versions Corrupts The Route

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by MarkA, Oct 13, 2018.

1. MarkA

MarkA New Member

With the update to the 64bit version i've noticed a critical bug.
    When we use the editor with the 64bit version of this game there's a chance it will break the route when saving. Now before you might think this is due to a mistake on my end; i've been working with the route editor pretty often for years now, including making my own route, so I would say that's pretty unlikely. Speaking about my own route; this one showed exactlly the same probels; even though I've plenty of backups this still is a major setback from a content creator's point of view :(

I've found that when changing something to the 'tracks.bin'* file may cause the entire route to become unuseable with problems like:
    - Most if not all signals with more than one raillink will lose all their links except one.
    - More complicated switches like double slibs will break in the middels causing the track to end.
    - Level crossing losing all raillinks except one similair to signals
    - On some routes the map (9 view) causes a tempdump.
    - Track markers may change position

It doesn't happen everytime when trying to reproduce but I would say atleast 1/3 of the time. The procces that I'm using is as follows:
    - Open a route in the x64 version
    - Make a change to anything tracks.bin related like tracks or signals
    - Clearing the cache
    - Starting the game and reopening the game
    - Everything may be broken

*This file will be updated when you change anything to the tracks, signals or anything with a raillink.

I've originally found this problems with the Munich Augsburg route. However after some testing before making this post Hamburg - Lubeck, Marseille - Avignon and New Jersey Coast Line broke pretty much the same way.

Broken Switch Marseille-Avignon
    Broken signals Marseille Avignon.png
    Broken Signals Marsielle-Avignon
    Broken switch Marseille Avignon.jpg
    Broken Signals Hamburg Lubeck
    Broken signals Hamburg Lubeck.png
    Broken Switch hamburg Lubeck
    Broken switch Hamburg Lubeck.png
    Broken signal New Jersey Coast Line
    Broken Signals New Jersey Coast Line.png

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. MarkA

MarkA New Member

Some more screens, broken switch at New Jersey Coast line
    Broken switch New Jersey Coast Line.png
    Muncih Augsburg: Derail at broken Switch
    Munich augsburg broken switch.png
    Munich Augsburg: Broken Signal and switch
    Broken signals-switches Muncih Augsburg.png
    Even though it's not supported; my own route has the same issue
    own route.png
    3e901d234a813cc0dc7eacfd7a0c0fe9.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

I have attempted the same with DTG content and with custom content. I can confirm all of the above errors. I broke Munich-Augsburg, several Dutch 3rd party routes, and am currently attempting to break more routes to see what causes the error exactly. But so far, it seems just that saving the route at all with anything written to the tracks.bin breaks any route you throw at it.

Depending on your luck you can either break all the newly placed signals, all the double slip junctions, or existing signals. Its a bit of random lottery what you'll get is my idea. Still need to investigate this more.

Image 1: Munich-Augsburg broken junctions.
    Image 2: My own fictional Dutch route. Markers changed place. Signal links disappeared.
    Image 3: Level crossing links gone missing causing level crossings to remain open.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pickels98

pickels98 New Member

Have the same issue here. Had more than once a 0xC000005 stop issue (Acces violation) when
    saving a *.bin file. All dependencies were installed and a file integrty check was done.
    Had further:
    - broken signal links or LC links
    - many existing markers disappear or are changed in length ( platformmarkers) and can't be extended.
    Mainly third-party routes are sensitive for this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

Hi there.
    We're looking into this. It seems to be just limited to when something modifies the tracks.bin file, so scenario editing in 64-bit is still fine, but for the time being we recommend you do any route editing in the 32-bit version until this is fixed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Spawn points in quick drives have a bug in the 64 bit scenario editor. Sometimes (1/10 approx) page 2 in the AI flyout is not accesible. Nothing happens when i click it. Only solution is to close down and open the quick drive scenario in the 32bit editor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MarkA

MarkA New Member

I've noticed the recent update for TS19. Did it include any fix regarding this issue or should we keep using the x86 version when routebuilding?

8. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

Kicking this back up, are there any developments regarding this bug? I'd love to continue building my route but I am afraid I will completely destroy it by saving it in 64-bit.

9. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

Another kick up, roughly two weeks later... Any updates?

10. HDE

HDE New Member

I don't think so .... I will never start my TS again in 32 :cool: and we all are waiting day by day for the fix, would be the biggest Xmaas gift :love:.

11. HDE

HDE New Member

I m deeply frustrated about the still ongoing problems with the track construction. Each double slip junction is potentially endangered to be crashed after saving. Dear DTG, the 64bit version was the best release and greatest gift to the community. However now, after weeks it seems that even in the 32bit version the TS19 makes trouble in some way. It would be nice to get more information on that issue and at least a timeframe for a solution. Actually for me the editor is useless. Even I spent much more time in Editor than in Game I purchased many many of your Addons. Thank you

PS After another 10 days without new information it is not simply frustrating, it is annoying .... it is not funny to switch always between 32 and 64bit to place a single hecto, which could destroy the work of months...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

Another roughly two weeks later I'll kick this up again. Hoping on a respond from DTG soon.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you expecting DTG to reply HERE?
    You are wasting your time
    Raise a Ticket with Dovetailgames Support
    You will get a ticket number and if you don't hear back you can chase it up with them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

This is the official forum. They request you to open a thread here. I expect an answer, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

They, DTG, also expect you to Report a Fault by raising a Ticket with the Support section
    See the Second Post in the Bug Reports

16. moponi

moponi New Member

I have the same experience, actually I am happy to have found this report since I thought it was me or my system that was at fault.

Editing a homemade route with the 64-bit editor I have seen exactly the same symptoms as those you describe in the OP. And now, after a simple correction to a signal on one of DTG's routes, the route is unusable - again with the same symptoms, including the crash with an access violation when trying to use the '9' map.

This is a rather serious bug, why is there no response, DTG?

17. moponi

moponi New Member

Oh I have been awarded the First Message Trophy. Thanks DTG! How great is that?

But I would rather see some meaningful communication related to serious errors in your software that destroys people's work and renders whole DLCs useless. When you are going to fix it, for instance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It does not render "whole DLCs useless"
    Most people use 32bit for doing scenarios and other people are still using the DLCs which you find are useless

64bit TS is still not 6 months old and the problems have not yet been fixed - which does not say they are not being worked on.
    If DTG don't have any update then they are not going to put out any information

Peter

19. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

749006 don't you think you’re giving DTG a bit of a pass? Isn’t having the editor available in 64 bit one of the main reasons for the 64 bit release? As for there being ‘no news’ that almost suggests to me that they aren’t bothering much about it. Even if they’re stuck on a problem that in of itself is news. Equally 6 months without a fix to a big problem isn’t to my mind a short passage of time.

DTG supply a moderator to this forum and that is commendable. However having that resource doesn’t mean just responding to threads that are ‘easy’. What’s the point in having this forum if a user can’t ask what the status is on a big issue? I’m sure there’s been a question and answer in it on Twitch or Discord, but why not here? After all DTG know the question is being asked.

As for the 64 bit editor I’ve been happily using it for scenarios, but then I don’t mess with tracks or signals. But I do have sympathy for those with higher skill levels than me who need this fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HDE

HDE New Member

Fully agree, DTG sells the 64 reasons for the 64bit version (acually the last reason could be ..."for editing unfortunately you have further to use the 32 version"). Even for scenarions, don't try to push the "play" button to test out of the 64bit version, so both editors can destroying a route, world editor in 100% of cases. Only playing in 64bit is possible. Maybe we all missunderstood DTG and they are looking only to sell and play old TS and to publish only the new TSW editors ... it is enough time for speculations...maybe in 2019...

• Like Like x 1
  21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The comment was more aimed at people who
    [1] Seem to think because ONE DLC does not work properly or ONE Part of the Editor does not work properly then the "whole DLCs useless".
    [2] People Don't report problems to their Support Forum so DTG have to judge by forum and Facebook comments that something is broken

Sometimes the problem is self caused with a person reporting a problem on Facebook that the DLC did not work but it was a Scenario he got from the Workshop which he did not have all the requirements

Yes, the Editor should work in 64bit and DTG should fix it - but I'm not holding my breath

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  22. moponi

moponi New Member

Who are these people, and "the whole DLCs" - what does that even mean? What I said was that the editor renders whole DCSs useless, which is exactly what it does. Using the 64b editor to modify tracks or lineside, i.e. signals, causes the tracks.bin file to become corrupt thus rendering the DLC (or own creation) not usable. This is not a question of "ONE Part of the Editor", as you put it, not "working properly".

Your understanding of this whole issue seems limited, maybe you should refrain from attributing convictions to others based on that? Just a suggestion.

As for voicing such things in the forum, I think that is very much what the forums are for. Rest assured there are already several formal bug reports regarding this issue. The thing with DTG is their somewhat lacking communication skills. It can't be arrogance, why would it? So what has happened, is a lot of people have damaged DLC and their own creations using the now 6 month old 64b product with a known - rather serious but not properly communicated - bug. That is not okay, I think. So you take it to the forums, and expect some sort of reaction in a case like this, to be honest.

I do not see the relevance for the topic here.

The big picture: DTG is not holding back - "32 and 64 bit version" is all over the place now, promising new possibilities to people using or buying in to the TS franchise. And more and more people will want to be running the 64bit version as they expect route creators to take advantage of the increased memory space to build larger routes with more detail. And scenario creators to create scenarios with more AI and static elements for more realism. But fact is, as it is now the 64b version is only good for running routes created with the 32b version - and that sort of nullifies the whole 64b release.

Yes, let's hope something happens. I think 2019 is maybe a rather generous time frame, though. :)

23. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Guys,

Just to update you on where we are with this. So further to Luke's post, after extensive investigation, we think we have a fix that's in testing right now. If all goes well with that testing, we will roll this update live. Once I get a definitive date/time, I'll update everyone. Apologies it has taken us so long to get here.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 10
  24. moponi

moponi New Member

Good news! Thanks for the update.

25. MarkA

MarkA New Member

Better late then never: Thanks for the update regarding this issue Steve :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  26. Its_Chris_2003

Its_Chris_2003 New Member

Thanks for the update. Unofrtunately though I've only just found this thread, and the damage is already done to my route that I'm building. I've got my tracks.bin that seems to corrupt very easily and I have weird, non selectable assets appearing everywhere. It's screwed over a 5 month project that I've been doing, I attached screenshots of weird assets that I don't even know where they're from. I could imagine the Fort William - Mallaig route due to the Thomson Interactive looking roads, but like I say I cannot select them so deleting them is beyond my knowledge here. 20190122190056_1.jpg 20190122190103_1.jpg

27. HDE

HDE New Member

Any new time perspective to solve the 64 bit issue .... a couple of weeks, before Estern or months or quarters?

28. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Hello!
    I recreated my route from the scratch after 64-bit editor corrupted it (about 40 km, but with two huge station). I even deleted Railworks64.exe to avoid accidental run of x64 editor.
    But... After i laid about 30 km, editor start crashing (about 3-4 times for each hour), mainly at 9-map view opening or track laying (connecting curve section with straight section).
    How do you think, is 32-bit editor AGAIN corrupted my SECOND try, or is it accidental crashes?

Should i continue, or the route will be not playable and there are no reason to continue? There are several years of information collecting, elevations measuring and 3D-modelling... ****

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  29. MarkA

MarkA New Member

As annoying as this issue is the 32bit editor works fine without of issues described in the topic start. It may still be possible to get game breaking bugs however; but that has been the way it is since the very beginning unfortuanlly. The only way to fix this is at the very least weekly back-ups.

TrainSim-Steve Is their any update regarding this issue?
    We're at another month of complete radiosilence :|

• Like Like x 2
  30. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

31. HDE

HDE New Member

As one of the laudest critics I have to say thank you for the fix, congratulation to solve the track.bin issue in 64bit. This is a treasure for all those people working on own routes and szenarios and will gives to the TS som other sucessful years. Now, after realising one or the other project in old TS (for which we spent hundreds or even over thousand $ for rolling stock and routes) we are ready to looking forward and to have once a well running TSW editor as well.

• Like Like x 2