PlayStation Nec Speeds With Atc On

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TinTin_57, Dec 31, 2018.

1. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

after playing a lot on LIRR with ATC on and getting used to that, I went back to NEC after several months and decided to turn on ATC there. Coming out of New York Penn tunnels the ATC kept me on 20 mph when line speed was 60mph. It took forever and no way was I staying on schedule.

Anyone play this route with ATC on all the time? Is it always this slow?

• Like Like x 1
  2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it features some incorrect speed limits with the safety systems on. So you cant really stay on time currently with them enabled.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i agree this route is bugged with incorrect line speeds so i keep to the line speeds on the speedometer on the hud. when that red line moves either way i adusts the speed to it

• Like Like x 2
  4. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

Aren't you supposed to have both ATC and the ACSES turned on though? I have been learning how to drive the loco on my own by driving the City Sprinter scenario and I was pretty much able to keep the train on time. The only problem I had with the times was whenever I got an emergency brake application for overspeeding 1MPH when reducing speeds... ( I do wonder if that isn't actually a bug, I somehow cannot believe there's no tolerance of overspeeding ).

As far as I could tell, when having both ATC and ACSES systems on, it works very similar to how the EBICAB in-cab signalling works. You cannot only follow the speeds indicated by the route, you must follow the speeds according the signals and the cab signalling. For me personally, I think it has been very straightforward. I'm not sure how it works on the LIRR as I don't have that DLC yet.

5. TinTin_57

I had the alerter and ATC on. Where is the ACSES switched on? I’m not familiar with that

6. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

TinTin, the ACSES switch is just next to the ATC one. :) TSW_BRD_1546536063_00.png

7. TinTin_57

Thanks. Giving it a try right now

8. TinTin_57

This is not working for me. Just like before. In the tunnel the line speed on the dial is 60 but the ATC panel is still showing Restrict, 20. Go above 20 and it doesn’t like it

9. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

You normally do have both systems on, yes. But still the speed in the tunnels to Penn Station are incorrect with them.

There are posts about that in the pc section aswell from people who are familiar with the route.

10. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

Don't forget that these systems work with communication with the transponders on the track only. That means that the information displayed in the cab is only updated once you pass through a signal or an actual transponder.

When having both systems on, you'll see that you'll get a time to penalty red number decreasing and soon after the speed also starts decreasing. You'll have to brake the train and avoiding getting that red time counter go down to 0 otherwise the train will apply the brakes.
    Honestly, it is a rather complicated system when you don't know it and but once you get hang of it, it'll be just fine. :)

My advice is to get familiar with the NEC signal aspects, their meaning and speed limit aspects. :) Here's a good and simple "cheat sheet": https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/65232/manuals/Northeast_Corridor_Signal_Guide.pdf

However, I will not deny that there can be some issues. I still have not encountered them while playing the City Sprinter scenario, though.

11. idiosis

idiosis Member

12. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member