Atlanta & West Point Railroad / Western Railway Of Alabama P-74

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The P-74 Pacifics were a fine pair of locomotives.
    History
    Revenue Service

Built by the Lima Locomotive Works for the A&WP, and the WRA in 1926, the two engines, numbered 190, and 290, were put into service with mixed traffic duties, being compatible for both passenger, and freight duties. The locomotives served their respective roads faithfully up until they were retired in the mid 1950's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Post Retirement Use
    After retirement, the Western Railway of Alabama had cut up #190 for scrap, while #290 was preserved, and placed on display. In 1961, the locomotive was donated to National Railway Historical Society's Atlanta chapter. the locomotive was restored in the 1980's and was used in excursion service throughout the Atlanta area, even making an appearance in the film Fried Green Tomatoes. It's most memorable trip was a historic excursion run over home rail to Montgomery, Alabama in 1992. This trip was covered by the popular rail video company Pentrex in their DVD titled New Geroga Steam Excursions: A&WP #290. The locomotive continued to operate in excursion service until the local government puled the required funding to keep #290 in operation. As of today, #290 is undergoing a cosmetic restoration at the Southeastern Railway Museum, in Duluth, Georgia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Why Add Them?
    The P-74s would be a great addition to Train Simulator, as they are a perfect mid-size mainline steam locomotive, which several people have been asking for in recent months. The locomotives have a small range of liveries and road numbers to choose from, and could come with some rolling stock as well, such as some standard Pullman passenger cars with the option to have them in an A&WP or WRA livery, as well as some A&WP/WRA boxcars for freight scenarios. Though these locomotives won't have a definitive route to run on, they will still be great for creating excursion scenarios on already available routes. What do you guys think? Would you want to see the P-74 in Train Simulator? I know I would! I look forward to reading your replys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. 05jstone

05jstone Member

I love steam locomotives, and this fits the bill!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joeman143

Joeman143 Member

More North American steam locos and routes!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I like this. 290's one of those not so well known excursion locos here in America that honestly deserves more attention then what it's gotten.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1