Moving Content Onto Another Disk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolvestrains, Jan 4, 2019.

1. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

I have purchased a couple of new routes in the sale and I have noticed I am running out of hard drive space. Is it possible for me to move some of the american/euro routes off to another disk until I want to use them in future. I am only going to be driving the UK routes to start with.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

no, but you can move the whole steam folder over which would also solve this issue

3. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

ok thanks, what does it do when they happens? Does it reinstall everything you have to a new disk?

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is a guide somewhere, but the basics would be to backup your asset and content folders, uninstall steam and do a cleanup on the folder (ie delete it) then install again to the new location and then restore your asset and content folders.
    BUT as I say, look for guides online about moving train simulator and there will be better instructions

5. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Steam is actually pretty good in letting you move content around. For example I had a new computer that had an issue so I took out the SSD that I had installed TS1 on and just put it into the new computer. Steam whirred a bit but recognized that the content was there, so moving to new drives etc. can work.

If you’re not going to use routes and if they’re from Steam why not just untick them from content and then load them back, by reticking the content box, when you need them? I’ve done that with some routes I didn’t care for much, but then one day may have a need for or learn to love.

If the routes are from a third party most have a pretty simple uninstall routine and the ability to load them back in the future. On third party routes and space In some cases you may find that the installation programs can be pretty chunky (read gbs). In that case I always move the installation programs away to another drive to save space on the TS1 one.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member