Ts Won't Start.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StratPlayer62, Dec 9, 2018.

1. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

All of a sudden TS2019 will not start for me, I get the splash screen, then an error message that says this,

Saved log to...

K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RailWorks\TempDump\

Exception Code: 0xC0000005

Exception Info: ACCESS VIOLATION

Please contact our Customer Support Team at https://dovetailgames.kayako.com

I've sent in a ticket but I know that will be a few days. Just thought I'd see if anyone might have an idea? I did do a verify on the library files, it said 111 files will be replaced, but I get the same result after that was fixed.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You need to do the Verify more than once until it reports No files missing.

3. StratPlayer62

I ran a second verify and nothing was missing.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have you subscribed to Any Workshop Scenarios or Routes?
    Sometimes a defective file will stop the game from running.
    Are you running the game in 32 or 64 bit?

5. StratPlayer62

Yea I have a lot of workshop scenarios and a few workshop routes I'm subscribed to.

I usually run in 32 bit so I can use my RailDriver, but I've tried both 32 and 64 and none will work.

6. StratPlayer62

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing twice along with everything else on the checklist DTG gives you before they are even willing to help. I've also tried unsubscribing from all of my workshop content and that has not helped.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look in Task Manager and then Properties to see if RailWorks.exe*32 is still shown as running.
    If so kill it and try again but without the RailDriver plugged in.

8. StratPlayer62

I've done that and my Rail Driver has not been plugged in. Thanks for the suggestion however.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problem might be with a thrid party add-on
    Find your \Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Assets folder and rename it something different - like Old Assets.
    Then do the File Verify which will give you a Plain Vanilla Railworks
    Anything you have purchased thru Steam will not be lost and will reinstall

One you have done that it should run ok and you can then copy third part items back - one provider at a time - to get back to a full system

Peter

10. StratPlayer62

Thanks I'll give that a try.

11. StratPlayer62

I tried that but it didn't work, however DTG had me uncheck all of my DLC, un-install then re-install the core game and it loads fine. Of course I can't do anything as there is no DLC but at least it runs now.

Any idea what my next step should be? Try installing 1 DLC? It will probably be a while before I hear back from DTG.

12. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Yes, add one DLC with routes and stock - but don't add any workshop routes / scenarios until AFTER you have successfully restored all of your non-workshop DLC.

If it works, then begin to add the workshop material, one item at a time - and testing the route or scenario after each workshop addition. Hopefully, all will go well, but if not you should be able to discover which add-on is causing the problem.

I've got to go offline now, but perhaps Peter or someone else could respond to any further issues you might have.

Gordon

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It might have been whatever the last DLC you installed caused the problem - those you have had for a bit should be ok.
    Do you remember the last thing you installed before the problems started?

14. StratPlayer62

I have not bought any DLC in quite a while, last was Raton Pass, probably a few weeks after it came out.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  15. StratPlayer62

I tried one DLC, Marias Pass and it still loaded just fine. I have a LOT of DLC, didn't really want to try them one by one so I went ahead and checked all that I use, then sure enough the failure to start came back. So I guess its one by one until I figure it out? Anyone have another idea? All of my DLC came through Steam.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

See which was the Last DLC you installed and remove that one - work backwards from there.
    Difficult to know which one is causing the problem

17. StratPlayer62

OK, I've been adding DLC one at a time then starting the game, I can confirm that it is the Sherman Hill DLC that is causing the game to not start. After I installed Sherman Hill the game crashed at start with the exact same error, I uninstalled Sherman Hill and then it started just fine. I went ahead and tried installing Sherman Hill again to confirm and sure enough the game crashed on start, then I uninstalled it and the game starts just fine.

I'm continuing on installing the rest of my DLC one at a time to see if there is anything else that is causing a problem but at least it seems I'm making some progress now. I've reported this to DTG so hopefully they can figure out why it is causing a problem, I've had Sherman Hill on this PC for a few years, weird that all of a sudden it is causing a problem.

I'm sure glad I'm no longer on an ISP that limits how much I can use per month, I would have been in trouble with all of the DLC I've downloaded recently!

18. StratPlayer62

Seems that Steven's Pass causes the same problem.

19. StratPlayer62

I've also been able to confirm that Sherman Hill causes the game to crash at start.

DTG has just given up, pretty disappointed in them.

Anyone else have any ideas short of a fresh windows install which I really don't wan't to do?

Everything with the game works great except when I try to install 2 DLC out of dozens that I own.

20. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Perhaps a corrupt file that is common to both those DLC, but not to any others.

Can you determine which assets - locos, wagons, other stock or other assets - are used by BOTH Sherman Hill AND Steven's Pass, but which are NOT used by any of your other working routes?

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

First reinstalling Windows does not cure a problem which is nothing to do with windows.
    Do you have the ELAP & USLAP?
    Sherman Hill is quite old and I cannot find Stevens Pass
    They might not have come with the USLAP
    https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/product/263707/marketplace-us-loco-asset-pack

Peter

22. StratPlayer62

I'm pretty sure I have USLAP but I will double check next chance I get.

Weird things is both Stevens Pass and Sherman Hill were working perfectly, these are routes I use frequently and then all of a sudden this started happening with no hardware changes on my system. The only possible thing I could think of is maybe a Windows Update changed something.

23. StratPlayer62

Well I actually did not have the USLAP installed as of this morning, I just hadn't gotten to it in the list as it was toward the bottom, I've been working 2 at a time trying to isolate which DLC is causing the problem, however no change after I installed it.

I also finished installing all of the DLC that I own and it is still only Sherman Hill and Stevens Pass that cause the game to crash, without those 2 installed the game will still start just fine with everything else installed.