Smaller Option For Hud

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by monstamash#2327, Jan 9, 2023.

1. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

There are two options for HUD. Small and large. But, the small is still way to big. The game looks so much better with no HUD but, the HUD is definitely useful if you aren't familiar with a route. Or an option to make it somewhat transparent. Less clutter on the screen. IMHO.

• Like Like x 8
  2. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

As with a lot of games, you can usually find a slider in options to adjust the size of hud elements. This would be a great addition to TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed. I want a smaller HUD. Way smaller.

• Like Like x 6
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It used to have quite good small and large options and then when Spirit of Steam came out, it was changed so that the small option was as big as the old large option and large was huge. It was pointed out immediately but I don’t think it ever went back.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

If you're a pc user, there's a mod that reverts the now small hud to the previous small hud. Don't know if it will works or not but it's an option

6. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

Yeah, that's not an option on PS5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've tried that, assuming you refer to the engine.ini line about UI scale, but that messes up a few thing, especially the location of objective markers indicating specific buttons (which can be a real pain in tutorials and some scenarios).

8. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

A mod is not a solution. DTG should make an option for a discrete HUD available in the core. The need for this has been acknowledged before by Matt. Instead we got a larger small HUD…

• Like Like x 1
  9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The HUD in TSC is smaller, more subtle, all while containing way more information than the monstrosity that is the TSW HUD.

10. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

I think the HUD we are referring to is at the bottom right and (left with Spirit of Steam) of the screen and not the entire HUD. Essentially being too large even with small hud selected in options.

11. summersy

summersy Active Member

Yeah definitely agree with this, it needs to be made much smaller. Maybe have the option of either analog or a rectangular digital style one? Could be a way to make it take up less space

12. NotDavid

NotDavid Active Member

Nah there should be a op there for it for people who want to use it not just remove it completely as that would make like a route for them they just brought or a route they've never tried before and they wont have it then they will not no where or how much speed there going.

so my op is to add a button in settings or on keyboard for turning it on and off.

13. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

That's literally what the original post says. Keep the HUD for those who need or want it. Just make the small option smaller. Simple.

14. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

What would be better if tsw had options to just customize the hud fully. So options to make certain elements bigger or smaller using a scale slider similar to one seen in the F1 games. Ability to move things around

The hud looks like something you would see in a racing game and takes up alot of space. Personally I would just need the time, speed, signals and distance to the next station. I don't need a gradient display. The break valve display. The big circular speedometer, the compass and action points

• Like Like x 1
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No, I'm definitely referring to the entire HUD, including the speed/signal in the topright corner and the objective in the topleft corner. They all could use smaller variants (although optional for those who rather stick with the current size) and be put further into the corners of the screen IMO.

I want a rectangle unobstructed by UI elements as big as possible, so I can maximize my immersion by seeing trains and tracks, while still being allowed to view the information displayed in the HUD, as small as possible and as far away from the center as possible.

You know, like TSC HUD. It's small and only uses the bottom bar of your screen. It's awesome. Contains a lot more information than TSW HUD as well. Never understood why they think they had to change it. Even the Trainz series copied parts of the TSC HUD. While TSW insisted on having a speedometer like racing games have...

• Like Like x 2
  16. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

DTG JD DTG Alex Sorry for the tag gents but please will you bring this up with the team? Only it feels as though this has flown under the radar

• Like Like x 2
  17. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

It's not been forgotten about, and will be looked at.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Ed1956

Ed1956 New Member

Any update on this item?
    Thanks,
    Ed

• Like Like x 1