[solved]what Does The "suppression" Do On Gp40-2 Pack Train Brake Lever

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VION, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VION

VION Active Member

Hi all,

I search since several days to know what does the "Suppression" position do on the train brake lever on the most US locos and mainly on the GP40-2 coming with the DTG GP40-2 Pack.
    What serves this "Suppression" function in the train brake system on US locos.
    Does this "Suppression" position lever has a really useable function in the sim and if yes, how to use it and what is it sensed to do please ?
    I know how Westinghouse air brakes are working, but I'm a lot confused how to use the "Suppression" position on the train brake lever and overall what is it supposed to do in the brake system ?
    Someone on a French forum Railsim.fr answered this "Suppression" position has the function of stopping the air flow to come in and out of the main pipe and act like "Self lap" function on some UK locos.

I have a doubt because the "Suppression" position is placed or come after "Full service" position which is not easily useable like a "Self lap" function which is placed directly after the "Release" position so we can in this case to set the brake lever to "Apply" to get some amount of braking power then back to "Self lap" to maintain the desired brake power and if needed reapply more brake power then coming back to Self lap.

In the case of the US brake system, I don't know very well what is the function or the goal of the "Suppression" functionality. If someone could explain me, I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance for all the infos and help you could bring to me.

Cheers

2. VION

VION Active Member

Suppression means.jpg Auto Brake Valve.jpg Hello,
    After some research, I found this document Pdf and reading the pages A-2 and A-3 in the bottom after the page N°34, it is explained what means the "Suppression" position (page A-3). But I don't understand well the penalty application or where come from the penalty and what it means in the braking power. Some further explanations will be very help full.
    Here the link to the Pdf document : https://www.wplives.org/forms_and_documents/Air_Brake_Principles.pdf

What I could understand as penalty application is when the driver don't react to a signal vigilance in cab and then the penalty brakes come on ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. VION

VION Active Member

Hello,
    In the game and with these GP40-2 DTG Pack, the "Initial or Minimal Reduction" do nothing; No Minimal reduction in the Brake Pipe is initiated. A bug ?

Thanks to DTG Dev's to see what is going wrong on with the Minimal Reduction function please.

Cheers
    Gerard