Do We Want A Ge Genesis Loco?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by summersy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. summersy

summersy Active Member

As the title says really would people like the amtrak Genesis in the game? I think it'd be cool and would open up a lot more American routes.

Would you like to see services on the American freight routes we already have or with It's own dedicated route? I think it'd be great to take one up cajon pass. Let's hear your thoughts!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It needs to come at some point, but given DTGs releases recently, it will probably disappoint. Its selling point wouldn't be services for 1 route, it would be subbing onto multiple routes.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Fortunately DTG have a way of doing this now, really hope to see it.

4. embeddeddeer97

embeddeddeer97 New Member

I would love to see it but Blacknred81 said it perfectly, the recent releases of US content have been an embarrassment. The lack of effort to fix the issues with them leaves me little faith that a Amtrak Genesis would be worth the money. I would love to see a pack with the p42, amfleet, superliner, viewliner, and maybe a baggage car that would add into present and future routes, I just doubt if/when we see the p42 it will be in such an adaptable format.

Most likely we would see it with 1 route, with the wrong consist, or incomplete consist, and it will be left to the community to make scenarios on other routes with the wrong consist to try to fill in on what's missing.

I'd like to think DTG would do the genesis platform well considering the fact that they have been the main power of Amtrak for the past ~20 years, as well as use with VIA, NJT, MTA, and CT rail. But I just can't see it living up to expectations

• Like Like x 2
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think a Genesis with a Superliner consist would sell very well- provided they added the necessary layers to existing US routes. Few would buy rolling stock which is Scenario Editor-only

• Like Like x 1
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think the later it comes, the more value it can get; already now, it could create layers (albeit small) on a bunch of routes - SPG, HSC, CJP + AI on Boston, and maybe SFJ (?). The freight routes especially would feel very different as the speed limits for passenger trains are way higher in most spots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

But the train doesn't create layers! DTG would have to create those layers, which means going back in and reworking timetables- an appreciable amount of work which does not directly generate revenue.

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

A P42DC would fill the following spots.

Sand Patch Grade: Capitol Limited (Stops at Cumberland)
    Peninsula Corridor: Coast Starlight (Stops at San Jose)
    Cane Creek: California Zephyr (Used to stop in Thompson pre 1997)
    Horseshoe Curve: Pennsylvanian (Stops in Altoona and Johnstown)
    Boston Providence: Lake Shore Limited (Train is already in game, would just replace the 2 ACS-64s used on it.)
    Cajon Pass: Southwest Chief (Stops at San Bernardino, Victorville, and Barstow)

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

Unfortunately, just one stop doesn't really work.

10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

And DTG needs to realize layers sell the DLCs. If you give me a P42 with three scenarios and two services on CJP, I will be way less interested than if it also provides services on the other routes mentioned. Layers DO generate revenue, they make the product more valuable. AND they add value to the route as well. Many people considered Linke Rheinstrecke valuable only for AI stock on Niddertalbahn. One of the greatest negatives of the UP Heritage pack (apart from being poor quality) was that it adds no extra services. Neither does the BNSF SD70ACe and scenarios for that one are absolutely tragic.

11. darrentee01

darrentee01 Member

Some great ideas here,iam not an expert myself but if the timetables need to be redone to fit in a train that in real life has one or two services a day I don't see it myself, would probably cost to much,but on the other hand you never know we can live and hope

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

We have the the Stop At function. The nature of these services will be quite different, but that’s ok, ultimately we do need them.

13. summersy

summersy Active Member

Thanks for all your replies some great discussion here, I think I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone aswell. As people have said it would have to be something special, as the recent US content certainly leaves much to be desired...
    Yes they would certainly be different and not many stops with the main focus of the routes being freight, but would be a great dynamic and selling point for all the existing US freight routes. I suppose you'd start at the far end at a red signal coming onto the map.
    This is also another big issue which could be a major hindrance, already dtg have said the cajon pass timetable is quite full and adding more would cause signalling and dispatch issues. And I think due to the nature of US railroading where freight seems to take priority it could be tricky to implement.

14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't mind an SPG service that begins at the Cumberland station (perhaps it could start at the beginning of the yard to add some mileage?) and stops at the end of the route at Rockwood just for the service to end.

15. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Personally I would Like to see a P42DC(Amtrak), A P40DC(Amtrak/NJT) and the P32 ACDM(Metro North/Amtrak)

16. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

Those + Oakville.

The Maple Leaf runs an Amtrak P42DC and Amfleet coaches in Canada, it takes the Oakville Subdivision and stops at Aldershot and Oakville stations along the way.

B103A90D-1CB8-4435-B5EB-5DBF47B50605.jpeg
    Oakville GO/VIA Station

That would be a nice addition to the Oakville Passenger Timetable that Adam’s team is working on (if it ever releases)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 2