Road Map Train Sim World Roadmap - April 2023

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

At this point BML needs an overhauled timetable that is more friendly to processors and memory so that the route doesn't get stuck as-is and age horrendously. Of course you can leave the original timetable there on an as-is basis, but people are going to want modern visuals and newer trains added to keep the route evolving. Maybe one day we can get everything on that route at once, but not this generation.

• Like Like x 3
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It is 8 car

• Like Like x 2
  3. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

Good evening JD I have a question Are we going to get deprivedd library with the 700

4. johnmcglade17

Who do we have in the chat after all our questions form
    Do we have dovetail

5. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Never heard a worse take on this forum. That livery is beautiful, and my Dad who grew up with the mind numbingly dull BR liveries agrees

• Like Like x 6
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's the 700/0 (8-car), not the 12-car 700/1

• Like Like x 1
  7. johnmcglade17

Ok

8. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

So DTG is making a new UK route, conveniently announced at the same time as the Class 700. Yeah, this route will definitely have a Thameslink layer. They did this with the Acela and made NYT, as one route didn’t feel like enough for such an iconic train. Though of course, I would hope that this upcoming route does not receive such a fate as New York-Trenton.

• Like Like x 2
  9. johnmcglade17

I have already figured out what the new uk what the new UK week is I already know what it is

10. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

what then

11. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Did DTG forget about the am fleet cabcar issues in livery editor?Because they clealy where trying to fix the rest of it problems.

12. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Not including - or even planning to include - the 700 on BML feels like such a cop out.

a) DTG made the (sensible) move to split trains from required routes, and the 700 feels like a natural beneficiary of this
    b) TSW - more than any train sim - has the potential, indeed the purpose, to be as rich and immersive as possible.

I appreciate that there are technical difficulties, but from an outside perspective I’d say:

1. if it can only be done for newgen consoles then so be it, that’s the nature of technology. Don’t use old technology as the benchmark when it holds you back
    2. Was addons manager not supposed to give you some extra leeway with performance?
    3. Isn’t the really intense part of BML the part where 700s wouldn’t be seen?
    4. There are some bonus services like the SE diversions via Redhill that could make way
    5. The fact that in reality longer TL units are more common does not mean not having any at all is better

It just feels like Trenton all over again. We all know what the richest routes are (SEHS and Dresden-Riesa), we all want rich, varied and realistic timetables (just ask Matt) and there are so many routes that could be brought to that level, but opportunities are just not being taken. Only DTG can do this and when they don’t it’s so frustrating.

I’d contrast this with the EMR trains being layered at St Pancras, which is brilliant, and proves that these things can be achieved. We need more Joes and Matts.

• Like Like x 11
  13. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

I think I've pushed my luck with the ICE 3M lol

• Like Like x 3
  14. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

No word of any HST layers on Edinburgh-Glasgow? :(

15. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

16. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

It was a good decision to get the RHHT, nice to see it getting serviced in new routes.

17. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

We have an EMT & GWR HST, neither of which are appropriate.

18. Yoinkermcskoinker

Once Virgin Trains East Coast hired in a lot of EMT sets to work their ECML services, it is definitely appropriate.

19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

ECML is inbound
    Class 700
    HST
    Class 66 freight
    Class 37 rog for variety

That's my gut feeling

• Like Like x 3
  20. rennekton#1349

Even though you don't see the 700, it still has to be loaded into memory and running in the background for when it spawns in and more if you are the one driving it.

21. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

That would point towards ECML.

• Like Like x 1
  22. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Of course you do mate.

23. johnmcglade17

It is going to be the Elizabeth line

24. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Well you can rule out Essex for a route from our Kentish friends at DTG, in fact the whole of the old Eastern Region is still missing from TSW at the moment - Scottish 2, North Eastern 1, London Midland 5, Western 3, Southern 5, Eastern 0. Including announced routes.

As for JT's route, about 40 miles of track with new traction. The Metropolitan Line is 41 miles in total, so maybe. Again, it's not Eastern Region so it's likely.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Agreed. I’ve traveled on the Brighton mainline a lot the last couple of months. BML is a masterpiece, no doubt about it, but when I go the entire way from East Croydon to Brighton without seeing a single 700 (even at Three Bridges), something just feels off to me.
    With the leak of the 700/0, I was hoping that void might be filled; even if it’s almost entirely 700/1s in real life. I was at least hoping for a “we’ll look into it”, not just a flat no.

• Like Like x 5
  26. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I have to say it has taken me a good hour to digest all of that. I am very much looking forward to MML and good to see the peak with a railtour and the ROG 37 layering in, however I am rather miffed with there being only one freight service.
    My thoughts on Peak Forest are no diesels, no buy unless an enhancement pack with a 45/0, 111 and 08 is confirmed.
    DTG's new route is going to have to be something spectacular to not be regarded as yet another modern electric route.
    Just Trains route I will be buying as they have listened and given a long awaited by many BR diesel route. Would love to see it come with a new 1st gen DMU though a Deltic wouldn't make me complain!! ;)
    Lastly, (I think) the class 700, which was going to come at some point, I find it strange that it has been announced so far ahead of release. There is something a bit fishy going on there.

• Like Like x 5
  27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

Still I think it would be quite jarring to see, I’d much prefer if we’d just get loco DLC’s for these 1 train routes, rather than getting DLC after DLC for routes that have plenty of stuff in the meantime.

28. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

We only had two maybe three sets at once from what I remember, definitely not a lot of them though.

29. hasco

hasco Member

While Midland Main Line looks great, I'm a bit worried about the state it will be in when it launches. As with every DLC I expect it to be untested and full of bugs, glitches, crashes and unobtainable trophies and unachievable gold medals. I would like incentive to keep playing and coming back instead of being let down.

• Like Like x 2
  30. solicitr

Well, to be fair, SHG's Cane Creek had almost none of those issues, although there were some definite problems with loco modeling. Horseshoe Curve similarly had few of those problems except for the "empty cars" bug. But both routes seem to be blessedly free of red-light bugs and Unreal crashes.

31. james64

I think that's what's most disappointing. It seems so defeatist. I was really excited when I heard the 700 was coming to this game, now I'm a bit nonplussed. It's very depressing to hear that the one route that unquestionably needs the 700 the most is the one that will never get it, or if it does, we'll have to wait something ridiculous like 2 years, knowing DTG.

It's a shame DTG couldn't do their usual roadmap stream today, because they would have had to go into the reasons why. I always love listening to the many different ways they say "we can't be bothered".

It's either that, or they're unwilling to have it only be on gen 9 consoles/PC. As I've said before, I think that's a completely unacceptable reason to not add content to the game. I don't think we're yet at the stage where entire add ons should only be released on gen 9, but the game is constantly developing, so older consoles will only struggle more over time. They cannot hold things back just because some people won't be able to play them.

• Like Like x 9
  32. james64

Regarding the new UK DTG route, I quite like the ECML theory others have mentioned. It certainly fits in with the 700 release window, and the ECML is one of THE most requested routes ever.

Here's my guess/hope: King's Cross to Peterborough set in around 2019. That way A HST could layer in alongside alongside either an 800 or 91. I would guess 800 as it has more potential to be added to future routes, but regardless of which is picked, the other would be a prime candidate for DLC.

Obviously you'd have the 700 on Thameslink services, and the 387 would be an easy addition as AI traffic on services to and from Cambridge.

I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be using the 700 as a basis for a 717, which would be drivable on the local services. The two classes are different enough that I imagine it would be more than just a simple reskin, but also similar enough that I can't see DTG trying to make it a separate add on. 2019 was the last year 313s ran on the route, so that would be an interesting wild card. I'm a bit more iffy on that though as while they had Great Northern branding, they still wore the old FCC livery, so I'm not sure if licensing would pose a problem.

Obviously there'd be the obligatory freight, and ROG layers. Would an EMT 158 be appropriate at Peterborough to represent the Lincoln services? Growing up I always associated 153s with the line, and I've definitely seen 156s on it, but I'm not sure about 158s.

Of course, it could just as easily be something like St Pancras to Bedford. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  33. rennekton#1349

Dtg explained why there's no stream. It's Easter weekend and many are away on vacation. Even if there was a stream, if the right people aren't available, they can't answer any questions. Stop acting like they are not having a stream on purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

Although if we want to get really fussy, the existing GX 387s are 387/2s not 387/1s.

35. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

As much as I'd love an ECML South, I'd prefer it to be with a 700/1 too rather than just with a /0 on its own. Without the /1 there'd be no TL services that serve the entire route towards Peterborough, which would be disappointing for a new route other than SEHS with the brand-new 700 DLC. Plus, apart from some potentially limited Great Northern services, stations between Arlesey and Huntington would also be mostly unserved without TL.

That's not an issue as GX 387/2's have operated Great Northern Services from Peterborough to King's Cross etc regardless.

All photos taken by myself
    GX 387.jpg 387.jpg

36. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

As much as I love TSW (actually my favourite game still), it feels like the game's peak was Rush Hour in 2021 which pushed the boundaries and, as a result, meant a fantastic gameplay experience overall.

TSW has the capability to be amazing, although can also be highly frustraiting. London Commuter without plans for the 700 or indeed TOD 4 is not just baffling, but just mystifying overall for such a popular route and loco DLC combo - even more strange when the /0 actually does serve the BML in real life, so no excuse!

Elsewhere, there's other stuff like just one freight service for MML, why not at least five, or even two for a return trip?! Then there's no diesels or extension to Derby for Peak Forest. And, not to forget the timetable for NY-Trenton which was a major disappointment too considering how busy the real-life route is. Prior to that, I've not been interested in a few of the recent UK modern routes because they either have just a single loco and/or empty, large stations. Finally, there needs to be more loco DLC overall, but I agree that routes like SEHS, as much as I like this route, is simply getting way too much DLC when there's lots of other TSW UK routes that need gameplay freshness too. :|

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  37. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

All 4 routes currently in the works are UK routes only?

38. hasco

hasco Member

I know right. Seems like their focus shifted to their home country as of late.

39. Yoinkermcskoinker

I mean to be fair there hasn't been any new UK routes for ages, We didn't even get a new route in the base game and the BCC and EtG are very lackluster and overpriced

• Like Like x 9
  40. thevoiceinu#9582

thevoiceinu#9582 New Member

so true yet they promised a release date.

41. james64

I'm not. I'm just saying it's an unfortunate coincidence.

42. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Two are Partner Programme routes, and we've just released 3 pieces of first-party US content, and two German routes since our last British route.

• Like Like x 10
  43. james64

I genuinely don't think there's a difference between the two other than their operators. It didn't stop DTG from putting in the 377/1 for BML.

44. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I had hoped that Just Trains would produce the Metropolitan Line for TSW3 as they produced this so wonderfully for TSC. However, if it is the Preston to Blackpool line, then it will be a cracking route as Tom, from their route building team, knows the route well and will give it a load of attention to detail. Can’t wait to see it.

45. matthewupv#3726

matthewupv#3726 Member

Remember that they only discussed drivable services, there may be much more ai services we don't know about. We also don't have all the freight which the 66's would use on the MML such as wagons carrying building materials. And even though we have some, the freight may be only running for a short distance so may not be necessary to have as a drivable service when the majority of the service is spent setting up a 66. We also get ROG movements and RHTT services which is always nice to see.
    They also said there is more to come about the timetable in the future so there may be stuff they are adding behind the scenes after they get the initial feedback from the community like what happened with the BML when more freight services were added.

46. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

yeah all it would need is a new interior which they’ve done for a 375/9 in sehs so it shouldn’t be that hard at all

47. hasco

hasco Member

Fair enough. I admit I don’t know in what order all routes exactly came out, but got the impression that there are quite a lot UK routes.

48. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer the timetable to be populated with the regular services (all of them, not just passenger) first and then add in the "special layers" like RHTT and drags in the same fashion as a railtour. Those should be hardly ever seen "surprises" but the regular freight timetable should just be there

I've just had a decent look through the Monday 3rd April 2023 freight listing on RTT for Syston, there's over 20 freight runs on that day, many running from south of Leicester up via Toton (which is just north of the route map for this DLC) and the run would be a minimum of 42 minutes each way, there's also a few that go off route just north of Syston to Melton Mowbray and more again that go off either way at the top of the route, ie many more than 1 freight run per day

• Like Like x 4
  49. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The number of US, DE and UK routes are overall comparible, but there are less 3rd party contibutors for US (I don't know of any 3rd party routes for US but then I don't pay attention to US routes) and only 1 for DE that I know of.
    For the UK we have Rivet, ATS, Just Trains...

• Like Like x 3
  50. Yoinkermcskoinker

Skyhook Games made Cane Creek and Horseshoe Curve iirc

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1