Rear Doors Not Always Opening When On Platform

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolvestrains, Jan 15, 2019.

1. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Hi, I have had a couple of occasions where I believe my entire train is on a platform however for some reason the doors on the back carriage wont open. I understand this happens if you overshoot or leave the back carriage overhanging but I have seen it do it when I think it should be fine and safe to access the platform. Is this just a little bug in the game or could I be doing something wrong? You don't seem to be penalized for this in any way

Thanks

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Have you stopped the train with the loco exactly on the '00' point - and not on '01' or '02' from the platform stopping point? Many scenarios will penalize you for failing to stop precisely at '00' - usually, by claiming that you failed to stop or pick up passengers at that station; but perhaps also by failing to open the rearmost doors because you were not precisely at the stopping point even although your train was fully aligned with the platform but not at '00'.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What we "see" as the platform and what the game "sees" as a loading space can be two different things. Although this is kind of represented by the green marking on the HUD I have found this not to be very accurate, indeed some platforms near Bristol on the JT route are 5 cars long, but only two sets of doors open. You can check this by doing a free roam, stopping at a platform, open your doors and then once that cycl is complete, move forward a few feet then try again

4. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

5. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Here is an example of a screen shot I took of one I thought I had stopped nicely but the doors wouldnt open

6. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Probably not as I am was not sure I could see those type of things, how do I look for that?

7. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

You'll need to switch on the HUD (F4) before you approach the platform, if you're not already using it. On the left hand side of the HUD you'll see a distance countdown marker indicating how close you are to your destination - in this case the station platform. As the train progresses along the platform, the countdown numbers will decrease - 06, 05, 04, etc. Ideally, for scenario scoring points, you should try to stop the front of the train at precisely '00' on the HUD countdown marker. If you stop at '01' or '02', etc., many scenarios will penalize you by deducting points for failing to stop or pick up passengers (These scenarios only consider '00' as a correct stop at the platform). Thus if you're not at '00' the doors may not open. This may not apply to all scenarios, but it certainly applies to some.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If the portion of the platform that passengers can use has not been extended then the train doors don't open as they think they are not in the platform - Use the F3 or F4 HUD and see if the rear coach appears to be in the platform in the display at the bottom of the page

9. Wolf

Wolf Member

Yeah if a carriage is even half a bogie outside the green marker for the platform, the doors on that carriage won't open.
    So even if half the carriage is on the Platform, the doors won't even open on that section of the carriage.
    Can make some stops with really short platforms a bit of a NIghtmare...............because then you'll have to brake just so that atleast one carriage is fully on the platform to get the loading even going.

10. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

The green marker in the HUD indicates what the game considers a valid destination. A siding or a train wash can be a valid destination as well, but you don't want doors opening there. Next to that, the game needs some help to know on which sides the doors should be opened.

For this purpose, a separate boarding/alightment area asset exists which is placed on all platforms (I've forgotten its name). This asset indicates what side the doors are on, and stretches along the platform.

You can determine the size of the boarding/alightment area by looking at your mouse cursor. When you're standing at a platform, go to the outside view, hover over the platform, and look at the cursor. When the cursor has a symbol representing entry/exit of passengers, you're within the area. If your cursor looks like a normal pointer, you're not.

However, the asset has to be placed and sized accordingly. If the asset is shorter than the platform, some doors will remain closed. You can see this in the screenshot: while the train is fully platformed at Radley (and will show fully within the green area on the HUD), the nose is *slightly* beyond the end of the platform (where the sloped area starts) and the game thus considers that coach not to be fully next to a platform, and the doors are kept closed.

This may affect your scoring: if the scenario you're playing uses Stopping Point markers, you'll have to stop at the marker to get all points. If the scenario uses the regular destination markers, you can stand wherever you like and still get the maximum amount of points (if you're on time).

• Helpful Helpful x 1