Wheel Slip Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by TrainFreak1994, Jan 9, 2019.

1. TrainFreak1994

TrainFreak1994 New Member

Okay this LOVE is really starting to LOVE me off! I DEMAND an answer as to why these wheel slip problems keep occurring on the NJT and Amtrak electric locomotives?! Plus the emergency brake is a problem too!!!! Even when I'm constantly pressing the alerter reset button. Then the ALDP-45 wants to switch back and forth between from electric and diesel power. It makes no damn sense. Something's gotta be wrong and it sure as hell ain't me because I'm doing everything the right way like I'm supposed to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2019
  2. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Really?
    You DEMAND!!!
    Yes there are thousands of us with the same problem but none of us bothered to ever post anything because we knew you would DEMAND a solution and get us all sorted. Well done that man.
    By the way, how's it going so far with the answer to the problem?

3. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

downvote For swearing ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2019
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And you know that How?
    Apply too much power on a heavy train and the loco will slip
    Apply too much power if it's raining and the loco will slip
    This applies to EVERY TRAIN.
    The Alerter tells you you are doing something wrong - Just resetting it does not stop it if you are still doing something wrong
    There is a Speedo in the Cab which tells you have fast you should be travelling - go too fast and the Alerter Sounds
    From the North Jersey Coast Line Manual

5. TrainFreak1994

It's AFTER the train is at speed and the throttle is at ZERO. This isn't even restricted to the NJT vehicles but the ACS-64 too. I wasn't going too fast nor did I apply to much power. It's when I'm applying power or no power was applied. Plus the alerter is also a mechanism to ensure the engineer is alert at all times. So me not taking action also causes the train to apply the emergency brakes. That's how I know that every thing is being done by the book. Not to mention since I use career mode there's penalties for speeding, wheel slip, and emergency brake usage.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

Sorry but I do not have this route or stock so I am unable to test this for you, but I have had similar problems to you on other routes, stock and scenarios, I do not know if you have tried this, but I have found turning the sander on helps a great deal, you still have to be careful with how fast you drive though, I hope this suggestion helps.

7. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Hi TrainFreak1994,

While we may think that this is caused by the simulation aspect, could you please still forward us a Support ticket describing as much detail as possible about your problem - https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Tickets/Submit

Thanks

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Career Scenarios are not very realistic because they have an Arcade Game style of points and most of them have you driving like an Idiot just to keep times which does not happen in real life.
    Get some ordinary scenarios off the Workshop and those might be better

• Like Like x 1
  9. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

or you could just simply turn off the career scoring and go at your own pace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pringertronics

pringertronics New Member

I have had continued wheel slip on a stopped, powered down, brakes applied train. Solution? Exit scenario.

11. TrainFreak1994

I see what the problem is. Track and signal speed can conflict with one another. So when the signal speed is lesser than track speed, it overrides and goes into effect. So while penalty points won't be applied unless you go over the track speed which is posted on the speedometer under neath the train speed. When the train doesn't meet the signal speed in a timely manner, that's when the dynamic brakes are at 100% and the train goes into emergency brake mode. I just now figured that out.

12. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Yes, if your train uses in-cab signalling, you must follow the in-cab signal speed restrictions irrespective of what the track-side speed limit shows, otherwise the emergency brakes will be applied. In-cab signalling often shows a lower speed limit than the track-side boards.

13. TrainFreak1994

That's the frustrating part. I don't know why the signal speed isn't the track speed. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

14. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

In-cab signalling is controlled directly by central signalling control for that area. Therefore, if for example, another train running ahead of yours had broken down on the tracks, central control could slow you down by changing the line speed in your cab - perhaps in readiness to switch you to a different track so that you could pass the broken down train. However, there are many other reasons why central control might decide to change your speed from that shown on the line-side speed boards.

15. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

To understand modern signalling methods - including in-cab signalling - you'll need to study the signalling manual for your country or area. Some countries - like Germany - have quite complex signalling systems.

16. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Cab signals are not controlled by a central signaling control, cab signals are controlled by sensors located under a locomotive that picks up electrical impulses that's traveling up and down the rails caused by another trains and then the computer displays it on the ACS monitor. That's why you most inspect and test before departing. If the ACS fails enroute you must contact the train dispatcher to get proper authority to cut-out them out. Then you must follow all field side signals. But the cab signals and field side signals are basically the exact same thing regarding speed and meaning. For an example yellow over red is restricted speed on ACS. The only thing the cab signals can't display is advanced approach. The difference between the twonsignaling systems, is ACS is faster then the field side singles because they take few seconds to complete a circuit. And ACS is direct.

17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'm no expert in signalling systems but there are several reasons why a slower speed would be helpful when operating a "static route", ie one where you may have lots of vehicles that cannot go anywhere other than down that route.

Think about stopping distances. A train at 40 can stop or slow down considerably quicker than a train at 65 or 90, this allows the company to run trains much closer together at 40 than at 90, so whilst it takes an individual unit longer to traverse a section, because you can fit 1.5 times as many trains over a long section of track this means you actually move MORE people over the same actual time.

There would also be a difference between a train stopping at a station or not stopping (I know the TVM signalling system works like this, slowing you down to stop at a station rather than staying at "line speed")

Lastly there are "consist limits", such as the class 150 in the UK which has a limit of 75mph, even when the line speed is 125mph, or the class 66 which has a higher passenger haul speed limit and a lower one when hauling freight... Conversely there are trains which are rated at 140mph but on normal lines are restricted to 125mph

So for me, line speed is the maximum available limit for any train wanting to use the lines, but for various reasons you might have a lower limit for specific consists, track conditions, train frequency, delays, stops etc