PC Anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Is anyone else finding AA a bit rubbish in TSW? I game at 2560x1600, with everything running flat out... the overhead wires etc are all very jagged looking. Is this just me, or does anyone else find the AA a bit weak?

TSW_David G_1547765385_00.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Yes a bit. Looking at reflections of things like 3/4 angle views gives me jags.
    I use tsaa rather than fxaa. May switch up to see that has an effect

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

What screen percentage do you use?

4. Pookeyhead

All of it. The screen is in native res so far as I know. I've certainly not set anything to the contrary.

5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I use 200% sceen percentage and have very little flickering. The catenary looks good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello folks!

It's a fact. TSW AA is bad. The only thing that I found that kind of works is up-scaling resolution. Whilst I was playing on 1080p I had a lot of flicker and a lot of jagged-ness. The change to 4K was well-worth as now only the faintest background objects occasionally flicker. As of now, the only fix for lower-res screens I know of is Nvidia's DSR, but that comes at the cost of GPU power. Reshade with a tiny amount of blur works too, but not as well.

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 2
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

TSW anti-aliasing techniques are awful full stop. There’s no denying it.

You shouldn’t have to raise your screen percentage all the way to 200% just to reduce the flicker. This also puts more unnecessary strain on your GPU.

The default screen percentage (100%) should look fine in most if not all games, but TSW has some serious anti-aliasing problems which need resolving.

• Like Like x 7
  8. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I find this too but 60 solid FPS with minor stutter is fine for me its probably the base engine as TS2019 had more Anti Aliasing options

9. Pookeyhead

With a single GTX980, I don't have the grunt to run in 200%. If you have a 1080 screen, then 200% is easy, but 200% of mine is bit too much to ask for a single GTX980... I get around 20fps when set to that, which is awful.

I guess it's just another annoying thing in an increasingly annoying game. If the game was flawless in every other respect, I'd probably invest in some more GPU grunt, but taken with all it's other glaring flaws.... nah.

I'm spending far more time in TS2019... you listening Dovetail? I feel liek I'm beta testing a pre release game here, not a paid for, full on retail game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Agree with all posted above:

Performance of TSW is much improved for me since it’s early days but the Anti-aliasing is very frustrating, the game looks so good but then you have jagged lines, jelly can movement, shimmering textures it’s a shame.

I’ve been playing at 2560x1440 on my 27” monitor and for me it’s a happy medium, getting 60FPS most of the time. And it doesn’t look all that bad. I can play in 4K at the slightest performance drop.

11. Pookeyhead

OK, downvoted for criticising the game. I see how people roll in here LOL

• Like Like x 4
  12. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

You will also get "revenge downvoted" too by a certain member lol. Must really trigger some people.

13. Pookeyhead

It's a good job I place no importance on such nonsense, and essentially think all people are basically self-motivated, egotistical morons then huh? :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. crazyhorse4u

crazyhorse4u New Member

Same here! Playing at 2560x1440 (native) resolution and the AA is still just awful and a jagged pain in the ass. True story! Unfortunately! :|

Even the LOD of objects value (especially far away trees on Sandpatch and grass clumps popping up in a 100 yard manner) look somewhat strange. Of course, I understand the performance point of view. But it could be better! Without being a huge impact...

Also... Overall anisotroping filtering (16x), moiré and reflection effects look horrible and unreal at times. This should be adressed if possible. IDK! And further, the immense flickering of those CSX hoppers will never gain a winning award... Haha! :cool:

Well... This UE4 stuff obviously has its quirks and flaws. But hey...! It's a PC game - right?! So, I'm happy and thankful with what we've got so far. Thanks DTG - good job! ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  15. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Welcome to the sticks, stones, and bones department -- don't let it get you down.

16. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

What's that rather peculiar TS route name ? "Memories of Maerdy", I think. This (hanging by a) thread gives me memories of Otto, who for years, perhaps decades, railed about anti-aliasing on the RWA forum, staunchly refusing to acknowledge that anti-aliasing has a real-world counterpart. "Those were the days, my friend; we thought they'd never end" -- and they haven't.