32bit/ 64bit?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by pringertronics, Jan 21, 2019.

1. pringertronics

pringertronics New Member

So I recently purchased Train Simulator, expecting 64bit software on my 64bit system and instead I get 32bit. Can someone from Dovetail explain that to me? Why no 64bit?

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

You have both versions when you launch the game you will get a pop up box asking which version you wish to play

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Depending on how you start the game you will either be presented with the 32 bit by default through the main stem control, you can select 32 or 64 bit from the steam library or you can create a shortcut on your desktop to railworks64.exe

Never seen a real explanation as to why it defaults to the 32bit version but there you are

4. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi ARuscoe,

The default to 32-bit is simply due to us not wanting to alter the startup process for players who still use 32-bit operating systems (of which there is still quite a few) - not to mention that 32-bit was the default for a long time before that.

Best, Steve

5. ARuscoe

This is what was given as the reason back on release day, but the overwhelming response was "give us the choice"?
    I mean I am not bothered because the first thing I did was create a second shortcut on my desktop direct to the EXE, but then I am a computer support manager so I know how to do these things.
    Given that the best result is most often the shortest either having BOTH options straightg off the bat, or allowing the user to set their default and have the other as their second option sounds better than the fudge we have at the moment.
    As I say, I personally don't care. I ALWAYS use my desktop shortcut, but others obviously DO care...

6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi ARuscoe,

Indeed, and we certainly wanted to give a choice on whether to default to 32-bit or 64-bit and did investigate this further with Valve but Steam does not accommodate those choices and is fairly limited. It's either one or the other.

Best, Steve

7. ARuscoe

Steam isn't your only option... If TS, JT etc can put icons on the desktop I'm sure DTG can...

8. pringertronics

pringertronics New Member

Thanks, everyone! I linked a shortcut to Railworks64.exe and I now have 64 bit.