What Do You Guys Think Of New Steam Routes In Tsw3?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Scarlett, Apr 24, 2023.

?
  1. Want More Steam Routes

57 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Not Bothered

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Don't Want Steam Routes

24 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

What I mean by the phrasing of this question is, do TSW3 players want more steam routes, because I've been looking through the forums and I've seen a fair few people saying their not that interested in steam locos coming to the game and aren't bothered about purchasing the route

Personally I'm a huge fan of steam locos and would like to see more come to the game but I just wondered what other people thought

Hope it doesn't end up like the Historical BR Diesel Routes like NTP and TVL where no more routes like it are made becuase they don't sell well

• Like Like x 3
  2. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

I’m not really into steam trains that much personally. Just not my cup of tea. I’ll still get the upcoming steam route that’s coming but unless the scenery is really stunning it will be a sale route for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. R3DWolf91

R3DWolf91 Well-Known Member

I'd like more variety in steam, especially some tank and narrow gauge engines. I feel like cruising around in a Pannier or a Prairie with an Autocoach would be a blast!

• Like Like x 4
  4. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

More steam for me please. I adore 1930's-mid 20th century UK steam, from Black 5's to Coronation class, Bulleids etc. The more the merrier.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I want more steam trains if I can actually drive them without the safeties hissing and overpowering every single possible noise around me. Along with that, the trains should feel more alive, as currently when I watch a train fly past me in the game, there's hardly any steam puffing out of the funnel, no loud chugging noises, none of the personality I expect from a steam train.

So yes, I'd very much like more steam trains! But only if the effort is made to provide a better product than what we have with the steam locomotives currently in TSW.

(Though thinking back on it, I'm still going to be more biased towards modern routes, as I do personally prefer diesels and electrics)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in Steam trains. Just something that doesn't appeal to me

7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

More Steam routes and for a German one why not set it as an Ostalgie the GDR like Dresden Leipzig Riesa in the 1980s where we have Rekolok 65.10 23.10 18 201 the GDR Frieda DB BR010 equivalent 243 250 V100 Ost 132 working with each other. The reason for this is that the GDR continued the use of Steam all the way to the reunification, unlike West Germany which phased them out in 1977. US Steam CRRNJ Camelback RVL

8. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I'm interested in steam trains, but not if they release them as they did in SoS.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I’m interested in seeing what comes of steam, A Challenger on Sherman hill seems fun, I think I would find slower runs fun more with something to do with a steam engine rather than just throttle and break handles type business all of the time.

I do find it strange that it’s claimed BR doesn’t sell well as I’ve always heard positives about NTP and TVL, the only one I can think of is diesel ledgends when it comes to what could let the BR down… and it’s just completely unfair to judge BR by that piece of content.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I’d love more steam routes, as long as they’re able to iron out the critical issues.
    And I didn’t have any initial interest in steam until I played it, but I really do enjoy giving it a go on occasion.

11. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

I'd like more steam, more so in that they are more challenging to drive (modern locos is mostly moving the throttle to the desired setting without much thought).
    With steam, you really need to think more and plan ahead to properly adjust your speed and there is also something unique about hearing them struggle up a hill.

• Like Like x 2
  12. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

I would be interested, but I keep getting service failures (TSW3 on PS5) with the steam routes… :( So I’m not really enjoying steam at the moment.
    Also the sound (steam hissing) is way too loud for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

Driving a steam loc was a totally new experience for me, which I enjoyed a lot (I remember the thrill when I heard a passenger train rolling by for the first time during the SoS route introduction!), until I kept experiencing random SPADs, I think I didn't touch SoS since September because of that. I'd prefer a fix of SoS before considering buying a new, possibly equally bugged Steam Route.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

They look nice and the trains are interesting but I just don't bother or gravitate to them. I find them tedious, maybe it's not the train thats the issue.

Whenever anyone says steam I mentally gravitate to sos, namely a route I didn't personally find interesting at all with a horrendous frame rate. Something was off with that and it just feels left out in the dark now

• Like Like x 2
  15. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

Steam was for when Men were Men and Women were Women who got no thrill from moving a little lever with two fingers to get a vehicle moving and then another to make it stop. The cut and thrust of shoveling coal, raking ashes, oiling and greasing, pulling huge levers and weilding the five foot spanner in order to master the live, spitting, hissing Leviathon that was a steam locomotive is unmatched in the world of the plastic train. Roll on the Bossman Games contribution to TSW 3 !

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I voted yes but I would actually like to see either something radical like Victorian or Edwardian era or the steam/diesel transition which has been rebuffed for Peak Forest. Something like Stainmore Summit or Somerset and Dorset would be great but also some little branch lines to bimble along with a little tank engine. How about the complete IOW network with all day timetable?

However the caveats are as above… they need to sort out steam physics and sounds properly, not the continued bodge of SoS.

• Like Like x 4
  17. OldVern

And Victory… just bought his A1X along with some Matrix Birdcage coaches and all superb.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I’d like more kettles but the sounds and physics need to be sorted out first.

• Like Like x 1
  19. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Until we actually have control over the fire and water there is really no point.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Yes please more steam, but not only in the UK! Seeing "Big Boy" steaming along Sherman Hill and the BR52 on the Niddertalbahn would be perfect. Maybe "Peak Forest" will be the last UK steam route for the time being, because the development of the German BR52 and possibly a US steam locomotive will have priority. But it would still be great to see other UK classics like the "Flying Scotsman" steam in the future. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  21. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

I really like the aesthetic and workings of steam... I was very hyped for SOS, but it's still not implemented properly and knowing this somewhat hurts the immersion. Sure, it's possible to drive and complete services, but it would be far more interesting if they could nail the realism. Also, the SoS route environment didn't feel so alive somehow.

So I would love more steam routes, but only when they're ready.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I would rather see some 70s-90s diesel or electric locomotives and routes.
    Steam is nice, but the current steam route (SoS) feels lacking in content/traffic and train physics. The upcoming Peak Forest route looks much more interesting scenery-wise, but I'd have to see the preview first to see if the locomotive physics is better than SoS.

• Like Like x 1
  23. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do want to see steam, from a UK point of view I want to see other regions than the LMR represented. I would also like to see some non UK steam routes.

However the one we have so far has an incomplete timetable and only two locomotives which do not represent how busy and varied the Crewe to Liverpool line would have been in the late 1950's and the other route starts and finishes in the middle of nowhere and seemily will not have the correct traction to represent the period it is set in.

Plus steam clearly isn't working properly at the moment so hopefully they will fix that soon.

For my steam fix TSC is the place to be at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  24. OldVern

Indeed. Mentioned the Victory A1X earlier and already thinking of scenarios for WSR and a guest appearance on the Riviera line!

• Like Like x 1
  25. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Wutachtalbahn valley railway Maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with some more steam (train) related content.
    a steam add-on pack for the Niddertalbahn, and other German routes, as a series of Plandampf scenarios would be good for variety.
    I like the idea of the Isle of Wight being done (IoW v7 on TSC is very good). It has the advantage of only (if we think about 1930's onwards) needing 3 engines, A1x, O2, and E1.
    But most of all I'd like to see an add-on for SoS that allows us to have local passenger services and local freight services. It has to be remembered that before containerisation and the movement of freight by road (which started taking off post world war 2) the majority of freight was delivered to local stations for onward distribution. This required a lot more manual labour, and associated support services. I think this would bring a bit more life, and enjoyment, to the existing route.
    When I spoke to a local man in Rohrbach Vorau (part of the Aspangbahn) in Austria he pointed out that the two buildings behind the station used to be Gasthof (pubs) to provide food and drink to all the people loading and unloading freight to/from the sawmill and local trades.
    There is only one pub now because most of the freight goes by road, and one man and a lorry can load/ unload the items for the saw mill.
    Providing these local services would give people some understanding of how things were done 60+ years ago.
    They also have the occasional Plandampf event...
    IMG_0121.JPG

Apologies for the picture quality, digital cameras were not as advanced when the shot below was taken (2002)
    01_00003 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 5
  27. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'd love me steam routes, but even if they released a trio of routes tomorrow none will find space in my collection until I can enjoy SoS without the safety going off continually, without AI spads and without being 10 minutes late on every service.

• Like Like x 4
  28. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Thank you Vern :)

In it's current state I've no interest in TSW steam (or TSW at all due to no steam). If they can get the locos working properly, the signalling working properly, remove all of the ahistorical nonsense, offer routes with useful start/end points and enough traction (either included or as DLC) to fill a busy era timetable then I'm all on board with it. Until then some pretty graphics and the ability to walk around aren't enough to move me.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Shame to hear that. I've bought and enjoyed a few of your TSC content a few years back, good stuff. But I've switched to playing TSW, and I would've loved some quality steam stuff for TSW. I quite like TSW, despite its shortcomings, and it certainly runs smoother than TSC does on my machine. And while I've enjoyed TSC for quite a few hours, I think TSW has a better future.

I understand if third party developers stick with TSC, but personally I'd love to see them move over to TSW. Who knows what the future will bring :)

• Like Like x 4
  30. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Have to say I respect and agree with you their :)
    Hopefully steam will improve in the game over time

31. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I agree :)

• Like Like x 1
  32. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

I voted not bothered because while I like the steam routes we have I wouldn't lose sleep if we didn't get any more. Not to say that I'm not interested in steam routes though. Even though I prefer BR Blue era stuff I think it would be nice to see some more variety with steam, LNER stuff especially. It would also be great to see steam locos from other countries in game.

• Like Like x 1
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm hugely in favor, especially of US steam; but that is conditional on getting firing working properly.

• Like Like x 1
  34. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

No more for me. I like to drive in cockpit view and steam is even worse than an Electrostar in that view ;)

35. LunaKettle

LunaKettle Active Member

Steam is the main appeal of trains for me in general so I'll always get excited by new steam in TSW!

For the next UK engine (after Scotsman), I'd really like a smaller 0-6-0, like a Jinty, to get some variety amongst the multiple large tender engines we've gotten so far.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

How about a steam railmotor then?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Or a cab-forward?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  38. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

How do they get the coal from the tender into the loco?

• Like Like x 1
  39. antwerpcentral

I saw a video on why they were never popular. I wanted to know why because that did not make sense but steam had a lot of problems when the cab was facing frontwards

The problem was just that. I think if I remember well there was less coal they could store in the front I suppose
    It was also impossible to separate bought personnel as in case someone became unwell the other would not know that

I should not know this information but TSW has also an educational value I noticed :D

EDIT: found it

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  40. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

They were oil fired. Or at least the Southern Pacifc ones were.

Though I doubt DTG would ever attempt to make one, there is only 1 preserved example, and getting sound would be a pain. Not to mention they really need the GS class plus a smaller loco for a proper era route.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. OldVern

I do think now we have four UK steam locos in TSW (well from 21st September) something ought to be done for German and North American steam. For Germany I would still like to see one of those might Harz Bahn tank locos attacking the climb to Brocken (assuming DTG could get the licence). For the US, perhaps a Challenger or similar for the UP but the idea of something more modest also appeals.

• Like Like x 1
  42. antwerpcentral

US Steam is weird it did not show up yet. When I think of American rail that's the first train that would come to mind. But probably those licenses don't exist anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  43. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I think it's more the fact US steam is larger and more complex than what the UK offers, plus the amount of research and references DTG needs to do to implement them in TSW.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  44. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The one thing I remember from the days of steam in the UK, was the greater variety of locomotives on most routes other than branch lines.
    Expresses, goods engines, station pilots and shunters, etc..
    One of the reasons train spotting (rail fanning) was so popular back in the day.
    You never knew what you were going to get.

Sadly a route limited to a choice of only two classes of locomotives is just unconvincing :(

• Like Like x 3
  45. OldVern

Very true, which is why something like the Riviera Line with a mixed traffic Hall and a tank loco (Prairie or Pannier) would be IMHO a better choice to complement the Jubilee, 8F and FS. Obviously we have the 4F but it's a little wasted at present in the duties it has been given on PFR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1