Train Simulator Nostalgia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. This is a topic I haven't really seen discussed on this forum before but what are everyone's good memories, thoughts and nostalgia of Train Simulator Classic, let's say before TS2017? Or if you want it can be about any Train Simulator you have nostalgia for. Personally I'm very nostalgic for TS2014 and TS2015. Back when the game had these awesome menu music songs and fantastic opening intros I really enjoyed, such a shame that they don't make those intros and trailers anymore, I really loved those.
    For example Train Simulator 2014's opening intro was really cool, I really liked it. Brings back some great memories of when I first got the game back then.

And TS2014 and TS2015 had these really memorable and actually rather emotional launch trailers.

It's a shame to me that they don't make these awesome launch trailers, opening intros or special menu music any more. It was truly something special and like I mentioned, brings back great memories for me when I watch the videos or listen to the music once again.

• Like Like x 4
  2. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Brings back memories that does thanks for sharing this Blazin

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

No problem!

4. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

5. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Oh sorry I forgot that thread was around, regardless I thought it would be nice to mention the old intros, menu themes and trailers. :)

6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I used to love running the Acela up & down the North East corridor on MSTS, then Open BVE, I've forgotten what route it was I used to run the 66 with a stone train on a route I can't remember now :D

There was a route I had on the old Rail works that was just a chemical works siding with I think a 37, anyone know what I might be on about??

• Like Like x 1
  7. jhs#1408

jhs#1408 Active Member

bgm was really much better than current kinda metal slamming sounds

...also the memory of excitement seeing korail at the TS2015 intro. that was a thing for me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Hatchet Hill? Although that was a quarry, not a chemical works....

EDIT: Or the Hedborough North route that used to be bundled with the original Railworks?

9. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Well, umm, based on my screenshots, my calendar says about February 2013... with a few hops in the future.
    My happy memory is loading up Director Special the first time, after getting a route that wasn't just bundle but something I was actually interested in.

Otherwise during the early years I was a bit more stressed than happy, trying to score 1000 and not fail the timetables in general, while getting random Sifa and Pzb emergencies because it doesn't beep just shows a light in the corner of your screen, resulting in the occasional flying keyboard. So, I stick to Director Special, however much of a paint drying on the wall feeling it is :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  11. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Something else that comes to mind is the extra love that TS editions received between 2015-2018.

I got the Steam Edition in 2014, meaning it was labeled 2015. (When TS was always the Future!) At first glance it just offered bunch of DLC, but some of them received an extra set of three scenarios to support a newer route.

Then the peak being TS 2016 (in 2015) when we received majestic scenario packs with lots to do.
    Been massaged a bit since but at that point, even if you had the routes, you would get an extra loco with 15 scenarios for each three route (out of the four). And everyone's favorite, the Pump Car.

TS 2017-2018 were a bit more about bundling up related stuff, and extending some routes.

Looking back at the 2012 remasters of RS / RW routes, I guess they received massive love as well. It's funny to open their free roams, the central ones being massively empty, but two new ones filled to the brim with opportunity. And the versatility of rolling stock in the updated scenarios. Something I wish would happen, would be really cool to just merge up some DLC and reforge their scenarios. Imagine New York - New Haven with M8, AEM-7 and Acela in every single scenario. (There is more but those are historic.) Same about Philly actually, CSX freight and a mix of trains.

• Like Like x 2
  12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

TS 2016 was an outstanding edition, Riviera 50's, Köln Koblenz plus the fantastic BR155 which I still rate among the best ever locos for TSC - superb modelling, texturing, lighting and scripting, Sherman Hill and the mighty UP GTEL - did you notice how the control stand is rumbling once the turbine runs? This was probably DTM's best loco they ever did. They could never deliver that quality again...

It really was a complete package. And sported a beautiful menu background. If you want to use it again, download the image, rename it to background.jpg, select Properties and set the "Read-Only" flag, and copy it to RailWorks\data\textures\frontend.

background_2016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

The trailer for TS2016 was absolutely awesome too!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I have to give another nod to TS2016. I bought a disc copy off Amazon (DPSimulation's store I think) for a very good price and was very excited the week before it came in the post. Used the code, installed the content, and did a full run of the Riviera Line straight away. Great fun. However it was only recently when I actually got the whole content, as there was a bunch of TS Rewards content I was never gifted so I had to contact DTG for their help with that. If you've bought TS2016 it's worth checking if you have the TS Rewards stuff, it's rather nice.
    • BR155 Press livery (I believe this is included in Cologne to Koblenz now so shouldn't be missing)
    • UP Military flat car
    • Scenario for the flat car above
    • Cologne to Koblenz bonus scenario
    • Wartime Castle Class
    • Early Castle Class
    • UP box car
    • Pump cart

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This trailer is the reason I have changed my menu music.